What's new

What to do with clogged bathtub drain?

If you are out of options until you buy something squeeze some good old fashioned Dawn dish soap in there and let it sit. Don't get carried away but it will help cut through some of that gunk. Then run super hot water. I've never had luck with anything but Dawn for clogs...the commercials are true it really is the degreaser :lol:

Once a week or so grab a pair of tweezers (I keep a pair under the sink for this purpose) and clean out the drain. I shed like shetland pony and that's what I do. It really helps before all the hair gets too far down the drain :)

They don't go far enough into the drains to get some clogs and get caught on the joints of the pipes and break off.....then you have a bigger problem.
but they are good for homes with DD with long hair - OMG what they get /my drains tend to get hair clogs near the top of drain ( that end up looking like a dead mouse - ok to much info !

Just put a for sale sign up, sell the house and move. :9:

Um, a 40 yr old house isn't really old. Old is a house from 1840. :giggles:

This is what I was thankin'! My house is 38 years old. It's a bit dated, but I wouldn't call it old.

I loooooove those plastic thorny things for my pipes! :lol: that sounds bad!

But it always has unclogged my pipes!

I LOVE it too for the bathrooms, not so much for the tub. My DH has a hand held snake and a power one for the bathtub.

Have you tried baking powder and vinegar? You put baking powder down the sink then pour vinegar, then after a good hour, pour pots of super hot water and it seems to get rid of the soap scum. We always go the hot water route before my DH gets the snake out. Less harsh on the older pipes we have.

We use a product called Glug. Can be found at plumbing supply stores and sometimes Lowes/Menards. You put the crystals in the drain and pour hot water over to dissolve. Works well everytime we have used it. (Hubby works for plumbing supply and he recommends this to everyone). good luck!

SO littlebuffalo did you get the drain fixed , what worked ?

Now you know I love to talk plumbing!.

There are hand crank snakes for under $5.00 at Menard, HD, or Lowes.

Don't use those plastic thorny things for $1.98

pACE3-12145196enh-z7.jpg

Menards has them cheaper than Ace.

But, Steve. They are sooo small.

SO littlebuffalo did you get the drain fixed , what worked ?

I bought the Enforcer yesterday. I poured 6 oz (according to the instruction on the bottle) into the drain this morning around 5:30. I just took a shower 10 minutes ago (after 12 hours). The drain doesn't drain any better. It is still draining ever so slow.

I have two question for Steve. Should I try again? Should I pour more in? I am willing to do anything to get this drain to drain better. Please help!!!!

Wow so sorry :( when i reread this yesterday didn't realize ideas were repeated ( think i was tired ) , did you try the crank snake? Hoping for the best for you !

Back