What's new

What veggies are always on your shopping list?

I want to find and try fresh broccolini, but can't find it :(

I do mostly fresh veggies with some occasional frozen mixed in...never canned.

I make sure to always have the following in the freezer:
Corn
Peas
Green Beans (my current supply I blanched and froze early this fall and then again right after Thanksgiving)
Green Giant "Healthy Weight Blend" Boxes (Mix one box with a little chicken for lunch.)

Purchased weekly or as often as needed to always be in the house:
Broccoli
Cucumber
Sweet Peppers (whatever color looks good)
Tomatoes (often cherry or grape and something to slice)
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Garlic
Lettuce...usually Romaine

Purchased when it looks good/is priced well (usually at least 2-3 of these per week):
Cauliflower
Winter Squash
Summer Squash
Sweet Peas in the Pods
Snow Peas
Beets
Sweet Potatoes
Baking Potatoes
Brussel Sprouts (so much better fresh!!)
Asparagus (YUMMY)
Avocado
Spinach
Kohlrabi
Mushrooms
Edamame (frozen...I've never seen them fresh)
Bean Sprouts

I want to find and try fresh broccolini, but can't find it :(

Do you have Joe Caputo's nearby? I frequently shop the one in Palatine on my way home from work and they often have broccolini.

Just checked their website...looks like Palatine would be the closest one for you. If you're ever in the area...stop in!

Thanks mommybeth, but no, I'm not close at all to palatine :( I'm a mile from Wisconsin border and a mile from the lake.

Potatoes- russet, red and gold
Onions- sweet, red and white
Garlic
Avocado
Leeks- will freeze extras
Green peppers - red, orange or yellow if on sale
Tomatoes- grape, plum and slicing (whatever is on sale)
Iceberg lettuce- for sandwiches and burgers
Salad lettuce- bagged if on sale
Cucumbers
Carrots
Celery

Below I buy if on sale and needed
Tomatillos
Peppers -hot/spicy
Spinach
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Acorn squash
Spaghetti squash
Butternut squash
Cabbage- green and red
Parsnips
Turnips
Roma beans
Green beans
Peas
Herbs

um.........none of the above. :hides: We're not big on veggies. The most we do is canned corn, canned green beans, carrots (in stews and soups) and occassionaly broccoli (I love it, but DH is "meh") about it. I like salad once in a while (like today) but it's the bag salad with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, croutons and ranch dressing. :lol:

Oh and I always have onions on have because I cook with them a lot (never eat them raw though).

Wow everyone eats so many veggies, mine VERY basic
like mrsmom
"I like salad once in a while (like today) but it's the bag salad with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, croutons and ranch dressing. "
but only if its cheap and then ...

uhm I guess thats it for my veggie list :lol:

Every week my list starts with:
Romaine lettuce
White onions
Green onion
Mushrooms
Cherry tomato
Orange bell pepper

We eat salad every evening with dinner, with my homemade salad dressing. We've been eating the same salad dressing almost nightly for 10 years. I get the Ken's dressing when it's free, but we always head for my salad dressing and end up donating the Ken's. It's just that yummy :lol:

Every week my list starts with:
Romaine lettuce
White onions
Green onion
Mushrooms
Cherry tomato
Orange bell pepper

We eat salad every evening with dinner, with my homemade salad dressing. We've been eating the same salad dressing almost nightly for 10 years. I get the Ken's dressing when it's free, but we always head for my salad dressing and end up donating the Ken's. It's just that yummy :lol:

RECIPE?

Cucs
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Scallions
Peppers
Avocados
Mushrooms
Kale
Beets
Onions
Red onions
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Spinach
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Garlic
Beets
Eggplant
Parsnip
Carrots
Turnip
Artichokes
Asparagus
Portabellos

We love veggies!

I make my own dressing too. Sprinkle salad with seasoned salt, garlic pepper (or lemon pepper) or garlic powder, pepper, etc. sprinkle sugar (small amount)
Add vinegar of choice and a small amount of olive oil. Toss and enjoy!

Sporush you buy those every week?

Sporush you buy those every week?

I buy most of them...some only when cheap, ie asparagus, artichokes, portabellos, but i spend about $40 a week at the fruit store. I buy 1 turnip, 1 parsnip, and 1 zucchini every week for chicken soup. We eat salad every night, and that's lettuce, cucs, tomatoes, scallions, peppers, and avoadoes, and sometimes mushrooms.
I use about 10 pounds of potatoes every 2 weeks. In the winter i make soup at least 2 or 3 times a week.
So I suppose yes, I do!

You are really close to Palatine. Compared to many others here. :lol:

True charlieq, but 40 miles (1 way) for a veggie... not really up for it :)

I am a veggie freak and love them all… so I buy either A.) What I need for a certain dish. B.) Stuff on sale C.) Something I have a huge craving for.. lately it's Zuccs and Broccoli..

Also, I am getting into Juicing so I buy a lot of that stuff too!

Something you will NEVER see in my cart… PEAS… BLAH! I like snopeas and peapods but NOT plain oil peas!

I have been buying more veggies now. My family feels like they can do without them....especially DS16.

Iceberg lettuce (DS will eat this!)
green onions
mushrooms
portabellos (when under $3/lb)
Asparagus (when under $2/lb)
Avocado (tiny ones in bag of 10 for $2)
baby spinach
baby bok choy (not every week)
green peppers
carrots
celery

I have been trying to push the veg and fruit more often.....it is good for us but a hard habit to get into!

I have been buying more veggies now. My family feels like they can do without them....especially DS16.

Iceberg lettuce (DS will eat this!)
green onions
mushrooms
portabellos (when under $3/lb)
Asparagus (when under $2/lb)
Avocado (tiny ones in bag of 10 for $2)
baby spinach
baby bok choy (not every week)
green peppers
carrots
celery

I have been trying to push the veg and fruit more often.....it is good for us but a hard habit to get into!

With meal planning, I have also been planning snacks and that has helped get my DS to eat some things he wouldn't eat before. I am being pretty strict with what I have for snacks and lunch and after 3 weeks he has decided he is going to eat what I have for lunch or he will be really hungry. This might work with veggies for your family. Veggies for snacks and nothing else to dinner, with some dips and peanut butter or something might get them more inspired. Just a thought

I don't know...... it's sooooo yummy
The kids keep telling me to bottle it for people to buy :lol:
As you read the recipie, keep in mind my kids don't like tomatoes - it does not taste like a catalina dressing - you just have to try it.

1 can cream of tomato soup
1 cup sugar (or 3/4 C sugar substitute)
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp powdered garlic

Mix using a wire whisk or in a blender - a spoon will not mix the oil well enough.
Chill in fridge overnight to allow flavors to blend.

Let me know what you think - love it or hate it.

Everything on your list. If I make it to Asian store, I look for:

bitter melon
lotus root
Chinese cabbage
radish
ginger
green mustard
edamame
angled luffa

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/vegetableseeds.html

Lee, you like bitter melon? I have yet to reach the point where my taste buds think that stuff is good. My aunt used to grow those in California, and there would be tons of them, and my mom would cook them with the pork meatballs every day...I could never understand why she loved them!

These days, it's whatever's on sale...green beans, zucchini, broccoli, snap peas, squash, spinach, mushrooms.

Back