What's new

what was your first car?

spidergoolash

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
another probing question from spider-g:

mine was a dodge dart that looked like it had been through armageddon. it had a huge hole in the floor and the front seat kept on coming detached while driving ...

------------------
"it's easier to stay out than get out"

1970 Dodge Coronet,440 six pack, 4 speed, posi rear. Awesome car that took 3 years of savings to put together and 30 seconds of stupidity to destroy. I had it a whole 5 months after getting my license. Man did the high school girls like that car
smile.gif
Oops thats a different story. Next car was a POS 1962 Pontiac Catalina
frown.gif

'85 Buick Skylark. Still have it and it's still running. Only 52,000 miles on it. The engine looks brand new.
The thing is built like a tank. I was driving home from my girlfriend's house in Jersey in the rain and spun out getting onto the highway. Car hit the concrete divider head on at about 15 and not a single scratch on it. Not even a dented bumper.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

i had an '83 toyota corolla 5-speed standard. it was multi-colored: light blue, primer grey, rust color, and many, many more. the best car ever. it was the best car to learn in.

------------------
...Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find... Oh Yeah!!

93 red ford thunderbird
first car i ever bought
only car i ever bought
hell, it'll probably be the only car i buy for a couple years unless someone posts a coupon for 50% off or something
smile.gif

I've never had a car...

'85 Buick Skylark. Still have it and it's still running. Only 52,000 miles on it. The engine looks brand new.
The thing is built like a tank. I was driving home from my girlfriend's house in Jersey in the rain and spun out getting onto the highway. Car hit the concrete divider head on at about 15 and not a single scratch on it. Not even a dented bumper.

That's how they should still be made. You can get hit by a train in that thing and the train will have more dents than your car.
tongue.gif

1980 Toyota 4x4. Its a very ugly powdered blue with primer spots all over the place. with the white camper shell it really looks like a smurf so i named it Gutless Smurf. Gutless because it is a streight 4 with a 4 speed transmision. i can hit 85 going down hill with the wind behind me.
embarass.gif
I origialy got it with 240,000 miles on it and it now is at 316,000 and still going strong. God bless Japanese cars they run forever.

------------------
uh yeah . . .

Yeah I know... those things take a licking and keep on ticking.. My father has had trhe same toyota truck FOREVER!! At least 300,000 miles on it... pretty reliable.

------------------
"Democracy used to be a good thing, but now it has gotten into the wrong hands."

i got my mom's '93 acura legend last year with around 75k miles on it

BEST CAR EVER

Mine was a 1975 Dodge Colt (this was in '88). It was grey without the slightest hint of gloss left in the paint. It died with 150K miles on the engine, but might still be running if my brother didn't have selective hearing and drive it without any antifreeze in the radiator...cars tend not to do well under those circumstances.

'86 light blue Olds 88.. that thing was a tank... i completely destroyed this new civic.. my entire car came out unscathed.. my bumper didn't even have a scratch on it...

1970 Monte Carlo. Charcoal grey metallic/black vinyl roof. It was a nice car, and I wish I still had it.

Ski Bum

Going back to my '80 Toyota I just sold it for $2100 with 316,700 miles on it. Just goes to show you how well they hold their value.

------------------
uh yeah . . .

Got ya all beat! 1960 Ford Falcon 3 speed. Always carried oil & motor honey to keep the engine together. I did have a wonderful am radio in it. Got me where I wanted to go.
smile.gif

I had an uncle who owned that car, what a monster.
smile.gif

Hey, it's good to see you around again too!

------------------
Alien - Administrator / Owner
["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]

hey alien, i don't think you told us what YOUR first car was now have you?

or was it not a car, but something else perhaps ...

something, shall we say, unidentifiable?

lol.gif

------------------
"it's easier to stay out than get out"

Um..lemme see. My *first* car was a '92 Dodge Spirit. I got it in '97, I think. My ex-step-dad (a complete and utter d*ck) wouldn't even let me be the first one to drive it. I'm still bitter about that. (His name was Bob.)

Anyway, I sold that about a year later and got a '99 Kia Sephia. (Her name, should you be curious, was Maria Sephia the Kia from Korea.) I was driving home late one night from my boyfriend's house and I totalled it. I won't bore you all with the whole story, but someone stopped across the middle line, I smashed into them, landed on the driver's side in a ditch facing the opposite direction that I had been driving, and the other car drove away. I got a itsy-bitsy bruise on my arm - that's it. My car, however, didn't make out quite so well - may she rest in peace
frown.gif

I moved to Georgia, carless, to live with my boyfriend. *His* car died. I got a '97 Eagle Talon. (That was February 14 of this year.) About a month later, we totalled it in a three car accident. I had to crawl out the driver's side door. If the doors of the car had been thinner, I would've had a bumper in my lap. He got a big burn on his arm, and I had various cuts and bruises on my legs. Otherwise, we were fine.

Today, we have a nice, pretty, new '99 Amigo. So far, so good.

I know that you didn't ask for a history of cars, but..I'm bored
smile.gif

------------------
You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin

The first car I owned was an 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, which looked like a station wagon on steroids. It was a bad purchase decision the engine had to be replaced 2 weeks after I bought it. I got the car back Tuesday and a drunk driver hit me head on totaled it on Friday. :at-wits-end: What a ginormous waste of time and money.

View attachment 958

The best thing about this truck was it had a huge V8 engine, you tapped the gas and this mofo lurched though it was built more for towing/torque power but I could pin the speedometer pretty fast on a straight away, never on curves though as it was a top heavy SUV.

The second best thing about this truck was it was a 4 Wheel drive before 4-Wheel drive came into main steam. It had 4 Hi, 4 Neutral, and 4 Low. This was awesome. One night one my way home from work I hit a patch of ice and slid into a gully, the truck was almost tipped on it's side that's how deep I was it. I got out, locked the wheels and kicked it into 4low it. Two minutes later like magic I was back on the road.

My second car was an 86 Cadillac Sedan Deville which was a pretty cool car but overall it had a crappy engine and didn't move real fast.

After that car I've driven whatever my mother had no use maintaining two cars if you don't drive them both regularally.

Attachments

• Jeep_Grand_Wagoneer_001.jpg
    Jeep_Grand_Wagoneer_001.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 13
My first car is still the one I use: a '97 Pontiac Grand AM GT. It works like a charm, except when it's not working. In other words, I've had plenty of breakdowns, though it's been behaving itself for months now. I forget the part inside the car that caused it, but my most recent trouble took place those several months ago: I just got out of class, and noticed coolant was leaking. Fortunately, I had a used coolant container in the trunk of my car, and it was filled with water. I filled my car with water, drove to the nearest gas station, purchased more (the best 50 cents I spent in a long time), and drove to the nearest repair station. As you might have guessed, mine is a used car.

Back