What's new

What's For Dinner?

Meatballs & spaghetti...bread, Jell-O salad...

Do you cook your meatballs before & them put them in the sauce, or add them in raw???...I have always cooked mine ahead, but watching some of the cooking shows they skip that step and simmer the sauce longer...
We always did Italian sausage and cooked it ahead.

this is how I do Italian sausage--in as little as 30 minutes before dinner I cut up the sausage into 3 or 4 inch pieces --add a little olive oil to the pot/pan start browning the sausage -often not always I add one large onion and one large green pepper cut up (YUM_O!) once that all browns up I add any brand jar of sauce and I also rinse the jar with about 1/4 cup water and add that--I let it simmer with a cover partially on until we eat--naturally :) it tastes better if left to simmer longer -my family LOVES this, so does company. I rarely very rarely buy packaged Italian sausage like johnsonville almost always it is from an ethnic type store ( eurofresh for me..)

I also see all the cooking shows just drop the meatballs into the cooking sauce raw-I usually brown the edges just so they stay together when I stir, guess I really dont need to!

Meatballs & spaghetti...bread, Jell-O salad...

Do you cook your meatballs before & them put them in the sauce, or add them in raw???...I have always cooked mine ahead, but watching some of the cooking shows they skip that step and simmer the sauce longer...

It depends on the meatballs for me.

If I am making Italian sausage meatballs, I bake them in the oven for about 15 min first. They are cooked about 80 percent and then I toss them in the sauce and simmer them for a little bit. Since it's pork, I guess I'm a little paranoid about tapeworm and such so I always bake in the oven first. If I make ground beef meatballs, I just drop them right in the sauce and simmer for longer. I always cover the pot and let them simmer for at least a good 20 minutes before I stir so that I have actual meatballs and don't end up with meat sauce. After about 20 min, they are cooked enough to pretty much hold their shape.

With all this crockpot talk I think more recipes need to be added to the recipe thread! :) I have two crockpots, a 5.5 qt and a 4 qt and absolutely love them! I was trying to find some new recipes to try and a friend mentioned www.crockingirls.com, anyone ever make any of their recipes and enjoyed them? Been wanting to try making a good Mac n cheese out of the crock, luvagreatdeal care to share your recipe?

My kids like this one a lot ... it's a Paula Deen recipe aka tastes good but super fatty LOL!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

I will warn you though if your crockpot runs very high (very hot temp), you can just bake in the oven because one of my 3 crockpots tends to run very hot and one time I made it in there and it curdled the mac and cheese and was not very good. Just FYI.

For us tonight:

Rosemary baked chicken and red potatoes, maybe a garden salad, and either corn or peas

baseball training season in full swing...now two boys on their high school teams...

SO, Italian beef sandwiches !

chicken fried rice with the leftover chicken from last night

We've had a noodle soup in the crockpot all day so adding a fruit plate with apples, nectarines, and grapes and that's what we're having for dinner.

Beef stew over noodles and crusty bread.

Leftovers. And I told all of them, "You will eat it & you will like it!"

:gah:

Leftovers!!!:cartwheel::cartwheel::cartwheel:
We had a violin recital tonight so did a combo of free after coupon ice cream cones and apple slices at McD's and smoothies at home for dessert.

Mama Cossi pizza from the Lewis Produce market on Grand Ave in Waukegan.

16 inch pizzas (I had no pan large enough only $3.99 each (refrigerated ready to bake)

soooo....good! We put veggies on one and the oher just cheese.

2 kinds of salad, and an apple crisp for after.

I have family members under the weather so we did chicken noodle soup, crescent rolls, and fruit tonight.

fish sandwiches, butter garlic noodles, and broccoli. Havent had a fish sandwich in so long, hit the spot.

DD19 made bruschetta chicken. It was soooo good.

I wish she still lived here. She is by far my most useful child. If she ends up being one of those adults that cycles back home after college that will be A-OK with me. :lol:

I like your updated avatar picture, tmela! You guys are a cute couple! :)

Baked potato soup with cheese and sour cream, spinach salad and french bread. Berry banana ice cream for desert.

Back