What's new

Where're you from?

I am like Jenny....lived many differnt places. Indiana, California, Wisconsin, Texas, Ohio. ( In Ohio now ) :) I don't really know which one I consider home. So I would have to agree with Jenny, "home is where the heart is"
I've lived in many places in the USA & internationally.

In the past I traveled a heavy % on business & often felt home was the hotel where I was sleeping that night.

Aside from childhood in NY, I never lived in one State or address for very long until coming to northern CA over 10 years ago. I like this area very much for it's people (racial, ethnic, & cultural diversity), the relatively mild weather (& no snow where I am), parks & recreation, access to beaches & mountains, & yes shopping deals.

So NY once was home, plus I felt a bit of home feeling once in TX (Dallas Cowboys area & perhaps my best wildest fun years), but now N CA is home. I would like to some day live again & perhaps feel at home in Sydney, Australia.

TX here!

hey naomi, you must be about an hour or less from me! we got hit hard by hurricane rita too!

at work, we had our hurricane preparedness talk friday! when they call for a voluntary evacuation, we'll get paid on that day. big boss man wants to make sure everyone has at least some money in case!

busty, have you had any earthquakes lately?
Yes of course. There are minor quakes registered on a regular basis in the region. I'm currently practically on top of one of the major fault lines. Not something I focus concern on beyond general normal preparedness (all should do anywhere) like rotating a fresh supply of bottled water & having crank flashlights & radios.

I only recall feeling 3 or 4 of them over the last 10 years, & only significantly feeling 2 (plus an afterschock on the second). Nothing fell or broke in my home. Only a few areas had relatively minor damages in relatively small radius the last 10 years.

The 2 (+1 aftershock) times didn't feel like a shake, but more like a roller pin passed under the floor. Each time I was on a second floor (at an office or at home). Wasn't scary other than finding out quickly whether others not with me were okay (which I did & all were fine).

I've only felt a tremor once. I was living in Costa Mesa. What's so bad about earthquakes is there's no advanced warning. With hurricanes, you have at least a few days to prepare/evacuate.

Katrina scared me, though, and I'm 130 miles north of the gulf coast. Watching tall pine trees touch the ground and snap back up isn't my idea of fun. The sound of the wind whipping around the house was so scary, too. Sounded like a freight train mixed with the howl of Puma or panther at times. It was fascinating at times, but I was scared the entire time. I remember the thuds we'd feel the ground shake when some of the pines on our property fell, taking the huge root balls down with them. The root balls left huge craters.

Eck, I'm not ready for another one, that's for sure.

I grew up in Mi went to college in MN and now live in IL only 2 miles for the WI border.

very much.

given the chance, I'd like to go back to the land of kookaburras :)
Sydney is a beautiful cosmopolitan area. Unfortunately I found other even large cities in Australia, especially Melbourne) to be very rednecky. Sydney had wonderful people & great beaches etc.

I lived in a suite hotel just across the bridge from downtown (a few blocks up from the then closed amusement park).

Back