What's new

Which TV shall I buy?

moonsee

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Well... I've been playing with the thought of getting a new tv for a few weeks now.... and upon taking a gander at the ads in the paper today... it seems theres a few sales, as well as some long-term no interest financing options. So I suppose I'm just wondering about some opinions.

Some 32" flat screen (not panel) Sony Wega's are on sale in the paper for around $650
Theres also some Toshiba and other random brands of 32" tvs for around $400-500 that arent flat screen. Any opinions or suggestions?

My price range is pretty much under $800 and I would like 32" +

HD/Plasma/Flat panel = not in my price range so I'm not interested ;)

edit: lol, yea not feet ;)

Wegas are nice man, $650 is good, just make sure you get one that has COMPONENT inputs (I think most wega ones do now), so that you can hook up your DVD player to it for the best output possible. If you have a crappy cable company, you will notice how crappy it is because the Wega is so sharp. :p

Also, you'll notice lots of pixellation and other things if you play old consoles like PSone, etc on it.

There is a Samsung 27" (I think 27") that does HDTV and is around $800, but since you want 32+, well I hope you mean 32" and not 32' (FEET! hah), I'd stick with the Wegas...

I agree with fasteddie go with the Wega. A friend of mine has one and he hasnt had one complaint about it.

I have a 27" Wega, and it's been pretty solid. One downside is that it only has 1 component input, but it predates the HD craze, so it's understandable.
Also, HD might not be completely out of your price range. Samsung has some $800 sets that offer HD that aren't bad for an entry-level HD offering. It's not like their high end DLP sets, but it'd compete favorably next to a Wega, and give you HD options. Just something to look into.

i actually noticed that tv in some ads and was concidering it
not sure its as big as id like but the price is close to right....

i know i wont pay for HD service for sometime.... but i may in the future... definately something to think about

used to work in the video dept at best buy -- go for the sony. my folks just picked up a wega and it's fantastic. if the price is right (and it sounds great) then go for it!

i may be going with a similar panasoic model today
same size, mostly the same features, $150 cheaper ;)

The Panasonic TAU sets are quite nice as well. While I'd give the technological edge to Sony's Wega the Panasonic is about 90-95% on their heels... Good choice! Let us know what you think!

I have a 32" Panasonic. Had it around 2-3 months now and no problems and excellent quality with 100Hz plus picture and Acuity picture quality.

hmm... had I known you were considering an RPTV, I'd have probably suggested a Hitachi or one of the high-end Toshibas. At that price range, you probably could've done better than Panasonic, although they're not bad.

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it!

i was actually looking into some hitachi and mitsubishi, but this one was recommended by a few people, PLUS as i said, it was MUCH less than listed...........

Congrats! Congrats! :beer: :yay:

Weight 183.0 lbs - You are strong man!

Back