What's new

Why do I need an SSL Certificate?

c0mputertalk

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
If your website requires users to log in, enter personal information such as credit card numbers or view confidential information such as financial statements, you need to keep the data private and assure your customers that you are doing all you can to keep their data safe.

Use of an SSL digital certificate assures website users of 3 things:

1. That the website really is who it claims to be.

2. That credit card numbers and other confidential information are encrypted (256 bit or higher) and cannot be intercepted.

3. That the data sent and received is encrypted.

Order an SSL certificate through SSLS here: https://ssls.info

Last edited by a moderator:
An SSL Certificate is a thing that helps the users to visit our website and trust us with their sensitive information. If a website has an SSL Certificate, it means that there is no malware code on the website, nor it can be exploited by any malware code.

Personally, I don't browse on any website that doesn't have its SSL set up and active because it's one way scammers get your data when you make use of their site. Data encryption is very important when you want users to trust your site. 

These days most of the browsers do not even let to check the site that does not have an SSL. I have few websites with expired SSL (I have not been able to renew certificate due to lack of funds), when I try to load these websites, I am sent a warning. If you don't have SSL, you will lose traffic.

These days most of the browsers do not even let to check the site that does not have an SSL. I have few websites with expired SSL (I have not been able to renew certificate due to lack of funds), when I try to load these websites, I am sent a warning. If you don't have SSL, you will lose traffic.
For someone like me, it's almost impossible for me proceed with going further in such websites with no SSL because I know the implications of what's going to happen if I'm in a wrong site. If your site does not have SSL, I'm totally off it. 

Generally speaking, I also do not enter a website that does not have SSL. I can enter a website without SSL only when I trust the website. One of the ways to check the legitimacy of website is by checking SSL. When the website does not have SSL, it will be easier for hackers to steal the information.

Making sure that your website has a working SSL certificate is an absolute must these days because it's very easy to perform a man in the middle attack if you don't have one installed. Encrypting the data, especially if you're handling payment details is crucial and also a legal requirement. I also don't use websites that don't have a working SSL.

It's pretty much a validation these days that a site is legit, and a pain if you forget to renew it.

Back