What's new

Why is karaoke different than DJing?

RaskyKat

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
On this forum many moons ago, in a response to a post, one of the karaoke jocks mentioned in passing that doing karaoke is WAY different than doing DJing. I don't know who it was, or what the thread was about... But let me ask you all if you agree w/ that statement and if so, tell me how the 2 roles differ.

Hoping you all are well. I don't get on here as much as I would like. But I thank you all for always learnin' me somethin' when I do!

--Will

Isn't it quite obvious that the two things are indeed "way different"? Do the differences honestly need to be outlined to understand that?

Are there similarities? Of course, but there are thousands of examples of completely different things with common threads.

I think Hank pretty much covered the subject.

The number one difference is that the componet of live sound is thrown into the mix of DJing, a totally different level of entertainment skills are needed to properly carry a karaoke show versus a DJ show!

Number two is the different tolerance levels required to be used when dealing with karaoke personalities.

Number three is the knowledge and skill level in running a much different group of equipment between Karaoke and DJing!

In other words Dorothy, "you ain't in Kansas anymore"!

Think food...what is the difference between a dinner service and a buffet? Same outcome, but way different getting there.

Such is the DJ vs Karaoke question. The goal is to entertain, and you use similar ingredients and methods to accomplish it, but the methods are all different!!

You could say one is harder than the other, but it depends on how you are wired personally...some find DJ really easy, others struggle at it...depends on how well you know people, how well you know music and how well you mesh that, and how good you can work your gear.

Similarly, karaoke uses a different side of the brain, different people skills, the ability to run a fair rotation, run live sound (which is WAY different than DJ sound) and keep it interesting while allowing your singers to dictate your play list, as opposed to a DJ who is solely responsible for the play list and keeping the energy alive.

Two completely different tasks...

It is quite possible to excel at one while sucking at the other...or any variation on that equation...

Good stuff, folks. But it seems that a lot of DJs get into karaoke thinking it is a natural expansion. If it is that different from DJing, I would think there are a lot of wannabe KJ's out there who just added a karaoke service hoping to make a quick buck.

Reading between the lines here, I would guess you need to be more outgoing, for one thing, as a KJ than as a DJ. ...As well as people management skills. As for the live sound being different than what a DJ does, that's something I hadn't thought about. Glad you pointed that out.

And no, Hank, to someone outside the field and researching the subject, the differences are not immediately obvious. Like I said, I see a lot of DJs moving into karaoke and I'm guessing from what I'm learning that some of them probably haven't considered the move deeply enough. That's what I hope to do with my questions here. I'm looking in from the outside and there is a lot I don't know. So before I pull the trigger on this, I'm going to ask a lot of questions, the answers to which might seem obvious to someone already in the biz.

With all that said, I'm wondering if bad KJs give good KJs a bad name, like bad DJs give good DJs a bad name. Thoughts on that?

Good stuff, folks. But it seems that a lot of DJs get into karaoke thinking it is a natural expansion. If it is that different from DJing, I would think there are a lot of wannabe KJ's out there who just added a karaoke service hoping to make a quick buck.

That about says it all right there, Just as there are many KJs out there that are wanna-be DJs! And some who are wann-bes on all accounts!

So you wannabe a KJ here's what ya need to knows:

1. You'll need obvious things like a TV, CDG Player or Computer, more cables, more stands, more mics, possibly a new mixer, outboard vocal effects if not built into the mixer.

2. You'll need to gain the knowedge of how to use said new equipment.

3. You'll need to learn how to mix live vocals with pre-recorded music along with the proper effects.

4. You'll need to know when and when not to add effects.

5. You need to know what effects to use it is no longer just a matter of reverb.... there's chorus, flanger, distortion, autotune, delay, echo, harmonizers... etc.

6. People skillz.... you need to know how to handle not only the easy singers but the PITA diva's and rock star wannabes... the drunks and the general neusance water drinking cheap punters... "When am I up next....." whine whine whine...

7. You need to learn how to talk to the bar staff and promote the bar staff in order to keep your value...

Get the picture?

So you wannabe a KJ here's what ya need to <b>knows</b>:

...Or at least <b>learn</b>. Thanks for the details, Mr. Rob. Looks like, if I get into this, I might be giving a bad name to all the respectable KJs out there, at least for a while, b/c I don't know any of that. Here's hopin'!

Thanks for your input, man!

--Will

I believe I am the "Karaoke Jock" referenced by the OP. I went looking for my rather lengthy post from back then, with no results. Found a short one:

------------------------------------
A few things to remember that are different from DJing:

The emphasis is on the VOCALS, not the music. The music is used to ENHANCE the vocals. This means that instead of mixing professionally recorded music and vocals by pro musicians and singers, you must now mix studio "sound alike" music of constantly changing quality with amateur singers of varying talent. Vocal mixing alone is an art unto itself....

Resetting and mixing sound on the fly is a MUST. Remember, vocal emphasis, and each singer is different.

Microphone quality should be good ( the most popular is the Shure SM-58), but don't overkill ( Sennheiser or Shure Beta). A super great mic is also an unforgiving one, and you're singers are, for the most part, going to be in need of forgiving. On the other hand, if you have a great singer, it's wise to have a great mic on hand..

A good host will also set up with full accessibility to the crowd. No booth. In order to make people comfortable you must first make them comfortable WITH YOU. Gotta intermingle, meet and greet, answer a lot of questions, etc..
Good mic work ( but don't over do it)can be essential in helping to keep non-singers entertained, and in building a rapport with your singers in hopes of making them regulars.

Solving venue problems not normally directly connected to karaoke....

Meet and greet everyone- as any host would

Understand ALL that karaoke is- it has it's own psychology....

Run a FAIR rotation. This is is not negotiable. Screw it up and the you can lose the show.

In short, a good Karaoke Host must REALLY know how to multitask, or die trying.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SPARE TIME in karaoke. If there is, you are doing it wrong. Time not at the controls should be used mingling and making acquaintances, if nothing else.

Just a few thoughts....
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's very different from DJing if done correctly. On the other hand, if it gets in your blood you'll have the time of your life!

Spend some time going to different Karaoke shows in your area check out what the host are doing at the venues that are busy and popular against what the host are doing at the shows that are barely hanging on and then decide if you really want to get into Karaoke!

If I had known how easy is is to do karaoke, I would have gone into it years sooner.

Nope..... Actually, I probably would have avoided it altogether! The multitasking demands alone could drive ya nuts!

If I had known how easy is is to do karaoke, I would have gone into it years sooner.

Nope..... Actually, I probably would have avoided it altogether! The multitasking demands alone could drive ya nuts!

So tell us what you find the most difficult about hosting karaoke then... maybe there are some pearls you could share and maybe even some we could share with you... tell us more, please.

The hardest part is giving attention to the:

1) people talking to you while you're trying to set up
2) "regulars" as they walk in
3) questions posed to you, such as "do you have so and so"
4) question "do you have so and so" while you're in the midst of a "major" problem
5) question from someone in the audience regarding the absence of words on the screen while you're playing bumper/filler music
6) mic cables that are being ripped from the floor (previously taped down) by someone who MUST walk as far away from the mic stand as the cable will permit
7) person who tries to "grab" my personal Shure wireless mic while I am attending to something else
8) person who is so busy walking away with the mic that they miss the start of the lyrics and yell at you to start the song over (while you are already occupying yourself with the next task)
9) computer problem that just locked up your hosting software
10) damaged disc that won't play (yours OR the customer's)

I guess 10 challenges is a good number to start with?

Let not forget the all too familiar BANG! BANG! BANG! "Hey is this thing on, uh, oh, OK." The more I do it the better the better the cheap mikes look.

Spend some time going to different Karaoke shows in your area check out what the host are doing at the venues that are busy and popular against what the host are doing at the shows that are barely hanging on and then decide if you really want to get into Karaoke!

Yeah, Thunder, that's what I've been doing lately. Been spending more time in bars the past few weeks than I had in 30 years previously! So far, however, I haven't seen much difference between the busy ones and the slow ones. I have not been impressed w/ anything I've seen yet. Will try some more bars this week and hope I see a standout host.

Let not forget the all too familiar BANG! BANG! BANG! "Hey is this thing on, uh, oh, OK." The more I do it the better the better the cheap mikes look.

I agree but, that's why I always have a "drunk mic" handy....

I agree but, that's why I always have a "drunk mic" handy....

I did a city event a couple weeks ago.....NO Alcohol....still the bang bang bang....

Again......I am looking at a cheap wireless set with a headset for me.......

BTW...What is your system Joker.......I am interested in it....

On this forum many moons ago, in a response to a post, one of the karaoke jocks mentioned in passing that doing karaoke is WAY different than doing DJing. I don't know who it was, or what the thread was about... But let me ask you all if you agree w/ that statement and if so, tell me how the 2 roles differ.

Hoping you all are well. I don't get on here as much as I would like. But I thank you all for always learnin' me somethin' when I do!

--Will

Sounds like Toqer...whatever happened to him anyway?

I did a city event a couple weeks ago.....NO Alcohol....still the bang bang bang....

Again......I am looking at a cheap wireless set with a headset for me.......

BTW...What is your system Joker.......I am interested in it....

You mean my setup:

Bose L1's and Bass Bins
PC - Utilizing Karma
American Audio CDG350 Dual disc player
2 Cheap but good wireless
1 EV Headset
1 Shure PGX 24/58 wireless
Mackie DFX6 Mixer (FYI I'm going to upgrade this soon I need more inputs)
TV
Lights

you've seen my setup in the VLog from my 8/8/09 wedding minus the TV and extra mics.

Show wise I follow a regular rotation with bumper music...

I am sorry I never purchased a Vocopro Wireless system - 3 handheld and a headset for about $300.

I've used the Vocopro wireless mics at many shows and never had a single complaint about them and never heard anyone else complain!

Back