What's new

Will we ever want to have sex with robots?

Han

;)
PF Member
Reaction score
While sex aids are nothing new, what makes Roxxxy different is "we've taken artificial intelligence" and "combined it with a human form," says creator Douglas Hines.

Of course, humanoid robots have been the stuff of science fiction for decades - ever since Fritz Lang's 1927 film Metropolis, or Isaac Asimov's I Robot stories.

The reality is somewhat more clunky.
[...]
Roxxxy, she weighs in at 60lb (27kg) is 5ft 7in (1.70m) high and comes with a variety of hair colours, moveable limbs and 'lifelike' skin.
[...]
the sex robot developed from his firm's line of healthcare robots, which were designed to look after elderly or infirm patients.
[...]
Mr Hines says his aim in developing his robot's artificial intelligence engine, was to go beyond a simple sex aid and to provide companionship.
[...]
However, no matter how well-programmed a robot may be, it is still a machine, and he agrees a plastic and metal humanoid is not capable of replacing the real thing - yet.

"We are getting closer and closer. The gap between what is robotic and mechanical and what's human-like will minimise, so it's a very exciting time."

Roxxxy costs up to $9,000 (?5,700) and there is also a male version called Rocky. Later this year the company plans a more advanced model which it says will be mobile and autonomous.

At the heart of our relationships with such machines, fictional or not, is the question of what it means to be human and to relate to others.

While no machine, however well-engineered, can ever feel empathy - something which defines us humans - it might be able to simulate it well enough to allow us to play along and treat it as if it were a sentient being.
source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23637225

Wow, just wow. They want to make a robot that not only offer sex (both male and female), but that humans can fall in love with... What are your opinions on this?

First of all, I feel obligated to mention uncanny valley.

But, that being said, if I had the money, I'd be interested... y'know, for science, of course. :p

Falling in love with a robot?
Well I don't think anyone will fall in love with the robot truly unless you're an objectophile.

Otherwise, if people are that lonely and have $9000...knock yourself out.

Falling in love with a robot?
Well I don't think anyone will fall in love with the robot truly unless you're an objectophile.

Otherwise, if people are that lonely and have $9000...knock yourself out.

I guess it's better than a prostitute, haha. No STDs and the like.

True :p plus no guilt. I say make millions if people are willing to buy lmao, they're not hurting anyone I guess :p

But the costs for research are going to be so high for something which isn't really necessary, nor does anyone with ?9k just lying around normally not have a partner/could get one - as bad as that sounds.

Oh well yes of course it shouldn't be a priority. :p

Sex with robots? I don't think so, and if we do, hopefull, I'll be long gone off earth,lol

Back