What's new

Worried about high temp.

Pochi

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I have a 733 mhz intel chip. Asus Motherboard. I bought it less than a month ago. In addition i bought a alpha pelterchip. I have been Overclocking it recently and now it runs 804mhz fine. What i am worried about is when i play quake on it, the cpu temp. runs over 100 degrees. While when i use it for normal stuff, like online or surfing on the web the temp is in the range of 34-50 degrees. Should i continue overclocking and not worry about it or do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks for any suggestions

a 70 degreee difference? The first time I've ever heard of that. Are you sure you're not mixing Celcius and Farenheit?

During any processor intensive application such as Quake, Seti@Home, Unreal, or the like, you will see substantial temperature increases, but surely not 70 degrees. The processor in this machine is 33% overclocked, and it normally runs at 110 F. This machine also runs the Seti@Home client 24/7.

Ski Bum

Originally posted by Pochi:
I have a 733 mhz intel chip. Asus Motherboard. I bought it less than a month ago. In addition i bought a alpha pelterchip. I have been Overclocking it recently and now it runs 804mhz fine. What i am worried about is when i play quake on it, the cpu temp. runs over 100 degrees. While when i use it for normal stuff, like online or surfing on the web the temp is in the range of 34-50 degrees. Should i continue overclocking and not worry about it or do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks for any suggestions

I assume when you said pelterchip, you meant a peltier heat transfer element. These things can typically have a huge range of temperatures, in fact, you can't ever let your system sleep because your processor will freeze.

Anyway, your temperatures seem just fine for farenheit, let me know if it was in celsius, processors should not be running at over boiling temp, typically...

Oh, and also, make sure you've got a good case fan when using a peltier, the hot side of it gets REALLY, REALLY hot. Oh, and don't ever touch either side of a peltier unit.
wink.gif

------------------
Visit the brand-new Tech Forums at http://forums.namba1.com/ ! Take this rare opportunity to shape a new generation of forum software!

[Edited by Namba @ June 15, 2000 (edited 1 time)]

Sorry I wasn't clear before...I am talking about celsius..I have an Asus motherboard so I installed the probe..it tells the temperature of the chip. I have set it back to run 742 mhz. I have a full tower inwin. I have three fans running on it..Don't know what else I can do.

I don't think that possible. It can't be an accurate reading, or you're mistaken and it's the Farenheit reading.
100 C is about 212F (boiling point for water), and your chip should've burned out well before that point, much less be functioning without locking up.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

If it was Fahrenheit I wouldn't be so worried..I practically pulled the plug when I saw that reading..there is a counter that tells me both degrees on it so there is no error.

hmm.. is the probe taking the temp of the back of the peltier cooler instead of the actual cpu?

Seriously, if that 733 were running at 212F, you'd actually have a 0MHz pile of melted silicon, much less anything that were still running. The old Cyrix chips used to melt at much lower temperatures than that. The reading has to be inaccurate.
WaterB might be onto something in that it may be reading the temp of the peltier. They can get brutally hot, and you need to make sure you're removing all of the heat from the peltier, or it will actually cook your CPU.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

Have you ever considered trying a different sensor? When sensors go bad, they can give really outlandish outputs.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure about all motherboards out there, but I know mine gets the CPU temperature from the on die thermal diode.

Back