What's new

48 Hours and Counting.... (Free Software)

c. staley

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Time for me to do some community service so to speak...

If you use MP3+G.zip files on a computer, you can now get your books done with just a couple FREE clicks.

It doesn't matter if you use Compuhost, Karma, Tricerasoft, Sax 'n Dotties, or whatever.... as long as your files are named correctly, this will work.

Here's how it works:

(1) Scans the folder(s) or complete drives for all your *.zip files and automatically parses the filenames for Artists names and song titles.

(2) Creates ready-to-go Rich Text Formatted files you can open in MS Word or other programs. It is a 2-column format to save paper so don't open it with Wordpad because it will only show a single column.

(3) Add your own headers/footers/graphics whatever you want and start printing...

(4) It leaves a *.csv file that you can open with Excel if you prefer.

The samples below were made from a folder that contained 1,955 songs and the files were in this form in less than 30 SECONDS. (actually, once the drive scan was complete, this really took just 12 seconds.)

SMPLTITLE.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

SMPLARTIST.jpg

I'm having someone test the package now and it should be ready shortly... any interest here for "free?"

(sorry about the "squiggles" they are caused by MS Word's spell/grammer checker.)

That looks great! I use Excel for mine and I'm so used to the editing feature I'll never use anything else. If you decide to put it up for sale, I'll spread the word around the area!

Actually it's free....

And, you can now have it look for *.cdg files (if you're using the gem series because I don't think they are zipped) or even *.mp3 files or whatever.

You also have the choice of "reversing" an artist name IF your artist names are:

Last-name[comma+space]First name

("White, Barry") and it will produce the output with the name alphabetized under "White" but print as: "Barry White" In other words, "Barry White" will be near "White Stripes" and NOT "Barenaked Ladies" in the artist listing. Look at the example above; "Bread", "Brewer" then "Brickell" Edie Brickell is NOT alphabetized under "Edie" which means the original filename was: "PI052-14 - Brickell & The New Boheimians, Edie - What I Am.zip"

Here is the link to the installation program:

Do NOT attempt to install or run this on Vista or Windows 7 unless you are running Virtual PC in XP mode.

CLICK HERE for the complete installation program.

If your DJ stuff is named similarly, you can use it to create a book from those files too by specifying: *.mp3 at the top.

Many thanks to Diafel and Lone Wolf for spotting some undocumented features of the software a few days ago.... it's out of the oven and ready to go.

And for those of you that use Karma... this will save you at least $79.00 right off the bat.

I tried it but keep getting an error.

Runtime Error 5

Invalid Procedure call or argument

I tried it but keep getting an error.

Which file naming convention did you use and how are your files named?

Email me your "kiosk.csv" file and I'll try to see what's wrong.

Sent you a PM...

Thanks for the offer....but I'll stick with a program I trust

Installed okay, but when running the search function (regardless of which drive or path is entered) I am getting Runtime Error '75' Path/file access error.

I entered the correct file format first using the program.

Am I missing something?

Depends on a number of factors. Are you looking for zip files? And, is this happening when you start the search when it's done searching?

I tried having it look for zip files, and it starts at the beginning of the search. It errors out immediately after clicking the search button every time. Running Vista (if that matters). I tried it on the C drive and an External USB and got the error both times.

You need to be running virtual PC in XP mode if you are running vista or windows 7. Vista hides file locations. It's a Microsoft thing, they don't trust You with your own files. So what's happening is windows is reporting the folders but when the program looks for filenames, they're hidden so it comes up an error. It sux and that's one of the many problems with vista.

I'm -not- trying to be difficult or funny either one. But I have no idea what virtual PC in XP mode is. Is that something that can be accomplished on Vista at all? Or is it worth the time and effort to do?

I do appreciate the fact that this is a free program, and you aren't obligated to provide your valuable time for tech support on this issue to me at all. And thanks for making it available, even if I can't use it myself at this point.

Okay I researched it on Google. Virtual PC in XP mode is do-able in Vista, but only if you have the original install CD for windows, which I don't have for this Dell laptop, as there is only a recovery image to reset to factory defaults... so I won't be able to do that set up for that environment or program. But thanks anyway for your assistance, it is appreciated none the less.

You're welcome. I'd suggest that you take your songs on an external drive (your backup) and run this on an XP machine

Thank you, excellent suggestion. My neighbor has an XP based PC I'll see if he will let me camp out at his desk for a couple of hours until I get it together :)

Thank you, excellent suggestion. My neighbor has an XP based PC I'll see if he will let me camp out at his desk for a couple of hours until I get it together :)

Won't take that long. 5 minutes to install and 5 minutes to run.

Won't take that long. 5 minutes to install and 5 minutes to run.

(chuckling) You have never seen me run a laptop or PC... I'm old and there isn't much I "get" the first time around. 5 minutes is what it would take some one in the know to do it. That isn't exactly my strong suit. I'll figure it out tho, eventually I "get 'r done"

Back