What's new

Another Good "Low End" Buy..

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Picked up some more "drunk mics" today. Yeah,yeah, I know: " We don't do drunk mics. Only Senns and Shure Betas for us! ... Yada... Yada". Well, being a good businessman, I have an aversion to handing 4-600+ mics to drunks so they can scream, spit into them, and bounce them off the floor. I dunno- call me picky....

Anyway, the drunks used to get a Pyle that was made out of STEEL, sounded ok, and was virtually unbreakable. 8 channel UHF and still good even with the new ban.

The last several months I have been working a place that, um, requires more than 1 drunk mic.

I just bought a brand that I had never heard of on a lark- GTD Audio. At the price I paid, I figured if they really sucked I could give them to someone for home use....

Well, they don't suck. 100 channels up to 950mhz, sound clear ( but won't ever be confused with Shures), 200 ft range, 2 balanced or one 1/4" mixed unbalanced, separate volume and indicators, backlit LCD displays on transmitters AND mics, and solidly built. They also have a nice "auto-sync" option. No little tweeker for channel changes. An up/down changer on the receiver, and an infrared port on the mic. Hit sync, and the mic (transmitter) channel is automatically matched to the receiver. Sound familiar?

This one is a dual mic rig. Would you believe $149? Now THAT'S a drunk mic...

Not a Shure or Senn, but equal to any Audio Technica I've heard, and BETTER sound then a top Samson.

Found it on E-bay.

I, for one, am surprised as hell to get more than my money's worth for a change.

Note: Just passing on happy info. I am in no way associated with or know this company, and am only passing on MY experience with this product- not endorsing...

EDIT: My oops. I thought I posted this in "Gear Heads" - sorry.

Joe:

These guys are actually located in Baltimore. I'm going to call them later to see if they have local pickup and maybe I can arrange something. I'm liking their 4 mic system.

JoeChartreuse said:
Picked up some more "drunk mics" today. Yeah,yeah, I know: " We don't do drunk mics. Only Senns and Shure Betas for us! ... Yada... Yada". Well, being a good businessman, I have an aversion to handing 4-600+ mics to drunks so they can scream, spit into them, and bounce them off the floor. I dunno- call me picky....

Anyway, the drunks used to get a Pyle that was made out of STEEL, sounded ok, and was virtually unbreakable. 8 channel UHF and still good even with the new ban.

The last several months I have been working a place that, um, requires more than 1 drunk mic.

I just bought a brand that I had never heard of on a lark- GTD Audio. At the price I paid, I figured if they really sucked I could give them to someone for home use....

Well, they don't suck. 100 channels up to 950mhz, sound clear ( but won't ever be confused with Shures), 200 ft range, 2 balanced or one 1/4" mixed unbalanced, separate volume and indicators, backlit LCD displays on transmitters AND mics, and solidly built. They also have a nice "auto-sync" option. No little tweeker for channel changes. An up/down changer on the receiver, and an infrared port on the mic. Hit sync, and the mic (transmitter) channel is automatically matched to the receiver. Sound familiar?

This one is a dual mic rig. Would you believe $149? Now THAT'S a drunk mic...

Not a Shure or Senn, but equal to any Audio Technica I've heard, and BETTER sound then a top Samson.

Found it on E-bay.

I, for one, am surprised as hell to get more than my money's worth for a change.

Note: Just passing on happy info. I am in no way associated with or know this company, and am only passing on MY experience with this product- not endorsing...

EDIT: My oops. I thought I posted this in "Gear Heads" - sorry.

Dr. Zinc uses their stuff with great success.

Another heart attack coming for MickyJ. Glad you mistakenly posted it here. Our drunk mics should have self-destructed months ago and although they keep on going, I'm always looking for the future replacement. Battery type? Have you gotten a chance to test how long they run?

possumdog said:
Another heart attack coming for MickyJ. Glad you mistakenly posted it here. Our drunk mics should have self-destructed months ago and although they keep on going, I'm always looking for the future replacement. Battery type? Have you gotten a chance to test how long they run?

They take 2 "AA"s. Haven't had the time to kill the batteries, but will be using them again tonight, ( 5 hrs plus 3 hours already used). I'll let you know..

LOL, drunk mics! I sure as hell need a few of them! Has anyone tried EEquation mics (by equationaudio)? I use two of their mics and like the sound, but wonder if they compare to the shures and Senns of the world. I've had drunk mic incidents with them and had to get screens replaced and elements re-soldered. Their support is excellent! I always got replacements in 2-3 days and the people there are actually friendly!

My fellow local KJ's use the $50 Nady Dual system. While I'd never use them myself, I had the chance to sing on them and I will say they were on par with their systems. I have AKG's for drunk mics. I paid $100 for them a few years ago in June when they are dust I will most likely look at American Audio mics.

I have been using GTD Audio for over 2 years now I have the top of the line Diveristy dual mic model and of course my 2 GTD750 amps. These product were my best bang for the buck purchases.

Review Upgrade

possumdog said:
Battery type? Have you gotten a chance to test how long they run?

OK, with last night's show ( where, as an experiment, I just used them all night) they've passed the 8 hour mark, and this was using the "starter" AAs that came with it. No low battery indicator yet.. Apparently, they don't eat power.

Besides the other features that I mentioned, there was another that only hit me last night. The on/off switches on the mics are flush mount "press and hold". Not a single accidental "off" all night.

Now the biggie: I received quite a few compliments not only on the sound, but the pick-up pattern as well. This is a crowd that is used to my Shures!

Personally, I don't think they are near the Shure, but hey, the crowd was happy....

So- While I still wouldn't compare them to my Shure SM58s or a Senn, sound-wise, Their engineering and design rate them a "Best bang for the buck", IMHO.

Tommy, if you or Dr. Zinc would be kind enough to post ( or PM me if posting isn't allowed) contact info other than e-bay, I'd love to look at what else they have.

JoeChartreuse said:
The on/off switches on the mics are flush mount "press and hold". Not a single accidental "off" all night.

OK, Joe, please expand on this.

JoeChartreuse said:
Tommy, if you or Dr. Zinc would be kind enough to post ( or PM me if posting isn't allowed) contact info other than e-bay, I'd love to look at what else they have.

Their website is: http://gtdelectronics.com/

Joe,

I found their website, gtdelectronics.com

KarenB

Oops!, Tommy beat me to it.:sqlaugh:

TommyO said:
OK, Joe, please expand on this.

Their website is: http://gtdelectronics.com/

Thanks, Tom!

As for the switches on the mics: Instead of slide switches, these mics have a rectangular button, the top of which is flush to the mic surface. To turn the mic on or off, you must depress and HOLD for a sec. Almost impossiblr to turn of by accident.

Also, when you turn the mic on, a tiny backlit LCD display lets you know what channel you're on. The display on the receiver shows both channel AND FREQUENCY. At the moment I can't remember, but this set has either 100 or 200 channel capability.

Design-wise, they didn't miss a trick.

I've been telling you guys about this brand for about a year, some of you tought I was jus pushing it because i bought it. Their mics sound great and as mentioned before are great on batteries. The dual diversity model I have locks on to the signal and never lets it go. The amp that I bought 2 of have gone ot of stock (what i think is that they will bring them back at a higher price) for the last 6 months only the smaller (500 wpc) version has been available. They also have abs speakers I want to try but because of weight and shape they will not ship them to Canada. They seem to get spirts of inventory so if you see a product buy it. The mic system that I got went out of stock shortly after I bought it. My firs mics i bought from them was sold to a KJ who uses them every week.

I am gonna pick up one of their Dual Mic system as a backup unit. As long as it works for the $150 you can't really go wrong.

Sort of the same subject. I have a headset mic (SHURE PGX-1) and I want to get a replacement headset for it. I mean just the mic and cord set and keep the transmitter box. Do I need to use a Shure brand (because of connection type) or are there other brands that use the same plug style? And which would you recommend?

Back