What's new

Anybody read any great books recently?

AliciaB9

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I finished Unbroken (AH-Mazing book!), and am reading In the Garden of the Beast by Larson.

Always looking for a great read!

I mostly read mindcandy but I love Patterson's books...they are quick and easy to read. The one I'm reading now is Tick tock. Sorry I can't be deeper than that...I haven't read anything real heavy in yrs.

I have heard a lot of people are reading Hunger Games. Anyone here read it?

I just re-read the hunger games--I think I will read it ONE more time next week before the movie comes out!

Have you read Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City? It's fantastic. There is a movie in production (or will be soon) based on it with Leonardo DiCaprio, I want to say.

love patterson. I don't read til summer. Last book i read was The Help...over winter break. I lie...I read things like "the lorax", cam jansen books, ramona...etc. I read lots but for the students...

BUT I love that you all discuss this, because I get my reading list ready! So keep chatting away!

okay I read unbroken last week. I hate to say it--but i saw it on so many lists, as well as mentioned here and, well...I thought it was good--what a strong man--but I wasnt floored by it. It was a a fantastic story

I also just read The fault of teh Stars by John Green--young adult

wow depressing, but great story.

Devil in the White City was a great book, but soooooo creepy and disturbing for me. My coworkers and I read it as our book club selection probably 7 or so years ago. I love mystery and crime novels and shows but the fact that this was real. ICK. So disturbing to think that this happened to real people and this wasn't a work of fiction.

The movie should be good but again, not sure if I'll want to see it.

I hope to start reading more. While my kids were young, there just hasn't been time but hoping now that I have a Nook, I'll be able to squeeze in some more reading here and there.

The Preganancy Project by Jenna Glatzer and Gaby Rodriguez. It was a great book. It really hit home because my cousin's daughter had a baby 3 years ago at just 15 years of age and I cried as I read parts - she went through so much and all of her freinds had abadoned her. It made me cry to think of all she went through and proud of her though - she made it through it and has an amazing 3 year old little boy. She is a great mom, finished high school right on time, and is now in college.

I have heard a lot of people are reading Hunger Games. Anyone here read it?

I just finished it today. I really like it! I am going to see the movie with a girlfriend tomorrow. But I really want to read the next book in the series. I'm hoping that my DH can find a coworker that has it to borrow because the waiting list at the library is insane.

Has anyone read the Fifty Shades of Gray books that have been in the news latley?

I just finised The Wierd Sisters. It was a book club pick from my local libaray.

From Amazon.
"Three sisters have returned to their childhood home, reuniting the eccentric Andreas family. Here, books are a passion (there is no problem a library card can't solve) and TV is something other people watch. Their father-a professor of Shakespeare who speaks almost exclusively in verse-named them after the Bard's heroines. It's a lot to live up to.

The sisters have a hard time communicating with their parents and their lovers, but especially with one another. What can the shy homebody eldest sister, the fast-living middle child, and the bohemian youngest sibling have in common? Only that none has found life to be what was expected; and now, faced with their parents' frailty and their own personal disappointments, not even a book can solve what ails them.."

I recently started reading the Harry Potter series books -- my dd started reading them and I wanted to know what all the fuss is about. Anyway, I'm now on book 6 of 7 and I can't put them down! They are really great books!

Has anyone read the Fifty Shades of Gray books that have been in the news latley?

I just finised The Wierd Sisters. It was a book club pick from my local libaray.

From Amazon.
"Three sisters have returned to their childhood home, reuniting the eccentric Andreas family. Here, books are a passion (there is no problem a library card can't solve) and TV is something other people watch. Their father-a professor of Shakespeare who speaks almost exclusively in verse-named them after the Bard's heroines. It's a lot to live up to.

The sisters have a hard time communicating with their parents and their lovers, but especially with one another. What can the shy homebody eldest sister, the fast-living middle child, and the bohemian youngest sibling have in common? Only that none has found life to be what was expected; and now, faced with their parents' frailty and their own personal disappointments, not even a book can solve what ails them.."

MY SIL was reading Fifty Shades of Grey over spring break. She couldn't put it down and immediately bought the 2nd one so she could find out what happens next. She described it as disturbing but addicting.

MY SIL was reading Fifty Shades of Grey over spring break. She couldn't put it down and immediately bought the 2nd one so she could find out what happens next. She described it as disturbing but addicting.

I read all three books in 5 days, I didnt find it disterbing I found it ****ing hot

I hear so much buzz about Fifty shades I have to go read them now--LOL

I just finished The Help. It was REALLY good. Had to read it before I saw the movie, cuz you know how books are always better and didn't want to spoil it.

This winter I also read The Kite Runner and The Color of Water, both of which were also good - sorry I don't remember the authors' names - borrowed books.

Thanks for everyone elses recommendations - I don't keep up much with what's on the current best seller lists. I tend to read what people lend me or what strikes my fancy at the library.

Beandippy did you 1000 splendid suns by same author as kite runner?? if not READ IT!!

I mostly read mindcandy but I love Patterson's books...they are quick and easy to read. The one I'm reading now is Tick tock. Sorry I can't be deeper than that...I haven't read anything real heavy in yrs.

Oh, that reminds me, also for quick fun reads, I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Back