What's new

Appliances- how long are yours lasting?

In the last 10 years-
Replaced washing machine twice. Also replaced dryer twice, but that's only because the first one we bought was a stackable (one piece) washer/dryer.

replaced fridge once, and will probably be doing again soon. You have to push really hard to get the door to close all the way and it sometimes freezes things all the way in the back.

replaced dishwasher twice. Probably replacing again soon. Current one is only a year old but often doesn't dissolve the soap tabs. No rhyme or reason to it.

More coffee pots than I can count. I blame this on our hard water.

Oven/stove still going strong. Not sure how old it is, but it's from Montgomery Wards, so pretty old.

Had to buy new appliances when I bought the house. So far, so good. But then again its only 2 1/2 years. Bought the washer and dryer last year and no issues so far. But my SIL has gone through 2 stoves, 2 fridges and countless repairs on her washer and dryer (top loading) from American Home Shield and they won't replace them.

Buying appliances now.

Micro works great! 1 week old

Range looks great! 22 hrs. old.

Washer/Dryer w/pedestals stunning. 22 hrs. old......washes sooo quietly....dryer a little vibrate-y.....installer ****ed up.....come back next week.

Dishwasher....next week.

Kitchen faucet from Costco. 3 hrs since installed. (finally know where the hot and/or cold is!!?) Wonderful!

These %$^&()&%$%* appliances better last, or I'll be standing at the stores with my hands on my hips, making a scene! .....and it won't be pretty. :giggles:

I should add.....that all the appliances here were Kenmore, and 25 years old.....so...go from there.

This is a disposable society.....NOTHING anymore is made to "last".

Steve why such a small house? I know basements are rare in Florida how did you pick it? I've been looking on line for homes and they are tiny. How the heck am I going to fit my shoe collection, along with all my kitchen wares and other stuff and not to mention my stockpile??

Steve why such a small house? I know basements are rare in Florida how did you pick it? I've been looking on line for homes and they are tiny. How the heck am I going to fit my shoe collection, along with all my kitchen wares and other stuff and not to mention my stockpile??

:tap:

All I have ever known is to buy used appliances from garage sales. Bought a newer GE washer dryer set gently used by a senior citizen couple for $150 cash. Never have problems with anything bought used breaking down.

I sold my used appliances on Craigslist recently. I got $110 cash for a 20 year old great working Kenmore refrigerator I originally bought from a garage sale. Sold my 17 year old stove for $180 and a washer for $120. A dryer sold for $90.

If you're upgrading to stainless state that in your ad and at least get some cash for your old good working condition stuff!

What are you pissy at? You should be getting busy looking for a wedding dress for the fabulous Sister Wives wedding we are having. Umm who is going to make the cake? I'm all about the cake for celebrations.

Ummm, my kitchen is a mess right now. :lol: I keep cleaning it, but they keep eating. :dunce:

Here's a glimpse of it in the background of a picture of a cake I made for bff's DD last summer.

EmmaCake1.jpg

What are you pissy at? You should be getting busy looking for a wedding dress for the fabulous Sister Wives wedding we are having. Umm who is going to make the cake? I'm all about the cake for celebrations.

Looks like Dragonfly is qualified. :giggles:

We bought the LG dryer new when we were renting, that's 4 years ago. We don't use the dryer in the spring and summer. Bought a GE washer when we bought the house in Spring, 2011. However, almost every handyman that came into our house told us the front loading dryer and washer we have don't last. :gah: So far they have not given us any problem yet. Touch wood.

We have slowly replacing all the 20-30 years old appliances in the house. We got a GE refrigerator a year ago, a Bosch Dishwasher right after we moved in. The microwave came with the house died, we were using the counter top microwave we have temporarily. When we did the kitchen remodeling this summer (in fact we are still doing the remodeling) we installed a range hood, replaced the cracked cast iron kitchen sink and beige color faucet, we also bought an Ikea built in oven, cooktop and microwave from Craiglist. The sump pump failed in the winter (which cost us thousand in water bill and repair!) The garage door opener also died on us, had to be replaced.

Oh, PS. When I see other people posting pics of their kitchens, it reminds me to NEVER POST PICKS OF MY HOOPDY KITCHEN.

:lol:

Hey I posted a pic of my 40 year old kitchen last year complete with fab blue floral wallpaper! (this is before we moved in)

oldkitchen-1.jpg

I wanted to update the kitchen and what did DH do? He remodeled the inside of the garage. Put up dry wall, built a long work bench, nice wood trim (had to buy new expensive tools to do this) and put a tv out there. :surrender: F my kitchen I guess. :pout:

Hey I posted a pic of my 40 year old kitchen last year complete with fab blue floral wallpaper! (this is before we moved in)

oldkitchen-1.jpg

I wanted to update the kitchen and what did DH do? He remodeled the inside of the garage. Put up dry wall, built a long work bench, nice wood trim (had to buy new expensive tools to do this) and put a tv out there. :surrender: F my kitchen I guess. :pout:

Now he has the shop to do kitchen remodeling. LOL

I like the mat in front of the fridge. Did they stand there a long time thinking about what they wanted so they figured put a mat there?

Do you have any pics of the kitchen since you moved in?

Now he has the shop to do kitchen remodeling. LOL

Good point! :lol:

I like the mat in front of the fridge. Did they stand there a long time thinking about what they wanted so they figured put a mat there?

Do you have any pics of the kitchen since you moved in?

Who the **** knows.

A pic since we moved in? Sure it's messy like this most everyday.

100_0550.jpg

100_0551.jpg

(Those were taken last year) Have I mentioned I f'ing HATE blue in a (my) house?!! :surrender:

Notice the butt ugly light fixtures.

One of our freezers was DH's grandmother's...it's 60 years old...needs a defrost once in a while, but works great...our other freezer is a 9 year old Fridigdaire...no problems

DH bought a used Whirlpool fridge when he was divorced 32 years ago...it's our basement fridge...kind of gets wacky on the temp, but good for storing extra butter, oly, cheese, eggs, and kitchen overflow...Our kitchen fridge is a Roper...nothing fancy and no issues

Bought our stove @ Monkey Wards 28 years ago...the clock doesn't work, and we've replaced the oven elements 3 times...other than that it's been a gem...

Washer is a White-Westinghouse top loader from Best Buy...probably 25 years old...minor repairs like a spring, belt, hose...it's getting kind of rusty, but works fine...

Dryer is a Kenmore 24 year old...has had a bearing replaced...

At my high point, I was probably doing 16 loads of wash a week...

I had one of the original Amana Radar Ranges...I think first DH paid about $300 for it, but it lasted over 20 years...the next 2 were crap, but my current GE is 8 years old...I still can't figure out all the buttons...

I like your island.

Thanks. It's small, but I've never had one before and find it handy. Funny thing about it is it's not attached to the floor. When we first saw the house it was against a wall. We slide it around sometimes when need be. It totally looks attached though.............has the same trim on the bottom as the rest of the cabinets. Weird.

Took another look..you NEED your Island. They didn't put much countertop in there, did they?

I wish home designers would realize a LOT of countertop is WONDERFUL!!!!

No kidding!!! It's a decent sized room, but ****...........could use some more counter space.

I posted this once before..............this is what I think would work in our kitchen:

kitchen.jpg

Back