What's new

Are you where you thought you would be

Kyp

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Are you where you thought you would be as far as your career goes. Theres been a lot of work talk lately so I'm wondering how many people are doing what they thought they would be doing for a living from when they were a kid or even in high school.

If you are not working in the field you thought you would be how did you end up in it?

If you are still in school where do you want to be after.

I never really had a plan for a career, I had more of I'll figure something out when I need to outlook :p I had never once thought I'd be doing what I do now, although my mom was an engineer at Ford so I guess it's not that odd I ended up doing almost the same thing she did.

and my dad was a drunk ( but always owned his own companies that did good. My brothers took after him )

I'm just like my parents :(

I don't think I'll do this kind of work for the rest of my life though.

I have no intentions to give up drinking ;)

I don't know. As a kid, I wanted to be a big famous writer, and I still want that. However, I just don't have the drive or the creativity right now to write.

I definitely don't think I was meant to be a Secretary for the rest of my life... I feel I have a bigger purpose in life, but I don't know what that purpose is.

:(

BitterPen said:
I don't know. As a kid, I wanted to be a big famous writer, and I still want that. However, I just don't have the drive or the creativity right now to write.

I definitely don't think I was meant to be a Secretary for the rest of my life... I feel I have a bigger purpose in life, but I don't know what that purpose is.

:(
I'm sure you'll figure it out.

At least you feel you have a bigger purpose in life. I don't think most people feel that way. It's only about the money to most, not any sense of purpose.

I never thought for a second I would be working behind a desk. I always said that an office job wasnt something I wanted.

Now Im here...

Kevin said:
I never thought for a second I would be working behind a desk. I always said that an office job wasnt something I wanted.

Now Im here...
Your last job was no way related to the one you have now right

Plus you moved across the country

I guess it depends on what day you ask me. :lol:

If my head is filled with the praise, ideas, hopes and disappointments of others in my life.......then I am constantly a huge disappointment and am meant for and capable of so much more. Yet never living up to any of that and never will.

If I am depressed and full of my own self-loathing then I feel I am here just to be here. That I am one of those people who spend their lives lost in the circle chase never meant to really be happy or content, never able to really tap that ability or potential they have to be really successful enough to make the breaths worth while.

If for some odd reason I think the sun is shining on this dog's **** I might look at the brightside. I might think I have my job because it suits me and that it is just another stepping stone towards eventual happiness. And that I am doing better than a lot of other people either way. But I am usually full of **** when I think that way. :unsure:

I don't think I have ever really had a career path or any real career goals though. I spent most of my early time in the workforce after I decided I was done with school going from one "cool/fun" job to another. Then once I thought I outgrew that path I have just gotten jobs that I thought paid okay that I knew I could do well. But I haven't had any real hope for a job I thought I would actually like or want other than just for a paycheck since I was a kid. Didn't seem to be any point in dreaming even more dreams that will never come true.

I started college as a criminal justice major intending to go into law enforcement in some way. I ended up switching to psychology after my intro course. (Got hooked on it I guess). Graduated and applied to UNC's Ph.D. program since my wife at the time was applying for UNC's M.S. in Audiology program. I didn't get in and she did. We both got into ECU's Masters' programs in our relative fields, but I gave up grad school to move to Chapel Hill with her. The deal was I would work while she was in school and then we'd switch. Her grad program lasted longer than our marriage, though.

I took my Psych B.S. and started working in the Voc. Rehab. field at the entry level and have worked my way up to Director of a two county program. Along the way I got remarried and had two beautiful kids. My job irks the hell out of me some days, but overall I can't complain.........

As soon as my wife (the one I have now) finishes school I'm going back to grad school to get my MBA. A bit different from the Psych Ph.D. I had originally intended, but they're a dime a dozen around here anyway........:lol:

Eison said:
I guess it depends on what day you ask me. :lol:

If my head is filled with the praise, ideas, hopes and disappointments of others in my life.......then I am constantly a huge disappointment and am meant for and capable of so much more. Yet never living up to any of that and never will.

If I am depressed and full of my own self-loathing then I feel I am here just to be here. That I am one of those people who spend their lives lost in the circle chase never meant to really be happy or content, never able to really tap that ability or potential they have to be really successful enough to make the breaths worth while.

If for some odd reason I think the sun is shining on this dog's **** I might look at the brightside. I might think I have my job because it suits me and that it is just another stepping stone towards eventual happiness. And that I am doing better than a lot of other people either way. But I am usually full of **** when I think that way. :unsure:

I don't think I have ever really had a career path or any real career goals though. I spent most of my early time in the workforce after I decided I was done with school going from one "cool/fun" job to another. Then once I thought I outgrew that path I have just gotten jobs that I thought paid okay that I knew I could do well. But I haven't had any real hope for a job I thought I would actually like or want other than just for a paycheck since I was a kid. Didn't seem to be any point in dreaming even more dreams that will never come true.
I think you should be writing for a living. You have the skill.

Thats 2 people now that have mentioned thinking they should be doing something more than they do.

It's better not to have a desire to do a certain job and just focus on the money. It's a whole lot easier to find a higher paying job than getting some dream job :p

rantingredneck said:
I started college as a criminal justice major intending to go into law enforcement in some way. I ended up switching to psychology after my intro course. (Got hooked on it I guess). Graduated and applied to UNC's Ph.D. program since my wife at the time was applying for UNC's M.S. in Audiology program. I didn't get in and she did. We both got into ECU's Masters' programs in our relative fields, but I gave up grad school to move to Chapel Hill with her. The deal was I would work while she was in school and then we'd switch. Her grad program lasted longer than our marriage, though.

I took my Psych B.S. and started working in the Voc. Rehab. field at the entry level and have worked my way up to Director of a two county program. Along the way I got remarried and had two beautiful kids. My job irks the hell out of me some days, but overall I can't complain.........

As soon as my wife (the one I have now) finishes school I'm going back to grad school to get my MBA. A bit different from the Psych Ph.D. I had originally intended, but they're a dime a dozen around here anyway........:lol:
Pretty cool

and you are probably doing a lot more good now than if you went into law enforcement

law enforcement = assclowns

:shifty:

Kyp said:
I think you should be writing for a living. You have the skill.

Thats 2 people now that have mentioned thinking they should be doing something more than they do.

It's better not to have a desire to do a certain job and just focus on the money. It's a whole lot easier to find a higher paying job than getting some dream job :p

It's nice of you to say that, and people often do..........just never anybody who will actually pay me to do it themselves of course.

And higher paying isn't always easier to find, in this day and age you've usually got to have a skill set or education to continue to find the higher paying jobs. But you could do something you might really like and get paid squat for it. I think most people get stuck in the middle, with a job that will pay them just enough and is just decent enough for them to stay at.

Eison said:
It's nice of you to say that, and people often do..........just never anybody who will actually pay me to do it themselves of course.

And higher paying isn't always easier to find, in this day and age you've usually got to have a skill set or education to continue to find the higher paying jobs. But you could do something you might really like and get paid squat for it. I think most people get stuck in the middle, with a job that will pay them just enough and is just decent enough for them to stay at.
but have you really tried hard and put a lot of effort into it, finding work in that area

I think I've been lucky with finding good paying jobs. It's always been easy for me

so far :p

Kyp said:
but have you really tried hard and put a lot of effort into it, finding work in that area

Do I submit things when and where I can? Do I try to and succeed in being published and having my work see print?

Yes all the time.

Is it easy to get someone, anyone, much less people who could actually help you to even read your work? Do I write things people are actually interested in? And is it easy for me to complete work that might have a better chance at selling?

No it is not.

It would seem that I was always steering myself towards being an attorney.

However, it probably wasn't long after I actually started practicing that I started thinking that maybe I was in the wrong field. I lost my job several times, and each time began looking to change -- one time to go get an MBA, the other to go into teaching. Both ended with my finding legal jobs.

Now, 19 years after I graduated from law school, I am once again looking to make a change -- again into teaching. The difference is that this time, I applied and was accepted to a school to get my master's degree and I'm going to go through with it.

All modesty aside, I think I will be a very good teacher (an opinion universally shared by anyone who knows me). I am hopeful that my thoughts are correct and that I spend the next X number of years happily teaching math.

mark said:
It would seem that I was always steering myself towards being an attorney.

However, it probably wasn't long after I actually started practicing that I started thinking that maybe I was in the wrong field. I lost my job several times, and each time began looking to change -- one time to go get an MBA, the other to go into teaching. Both ended with my finding legal jobs.

Now, 19 years after I graduated from law school, I am once again looking to make a change -- again into teaching. The difference is that this time, I applied and was accepted to a school to get my master's degree and I'm going to go through with it.

All modesty aside, I think I will be a very good teacher (an opinion universally shared by anyone who knows me). I am hopeful that my thoughts are correct and that I spend the next X number of years happily teaching math.

Best of luck with that. I've posted in other forums that I wouldn't like being a teacher, but that is not exactly accurate. I wouldn't mind teaching at the college or community college level. I just wouldn't teach grade school of any level or subject. Other people's kids usually just piss me off..........:lol:

rantingredneck said:
Best of luck with that. I've posted in other forums that I wouldn't like being a teacher, but that is not exactly accurate. I wouldn't mind teaching at the college or community college level. I just wouldn't teach grade school of any level or subject. Other people's kids usually just piss me off..........:lol:

thanks

I have A LOT of patience LOL

Back