What's new

Are you where you thought you would be

Kyp said:
thats cool and I hope you figure things out.

I'm getting to that point where I need to decide if I want to keep doing what I do for a living or make a career change.

Which ever is the most lazy route is the one i'll probably go with :p

:lol: Yeah, that's my problem...I'm fairly lazy. I've never really considered myself the ambitious type.

At the same time, I get really restless if I'm in one position or at one level for too long, so hopefully that will drive me forward.

I never thought I woulg go into being a mechanic, but when I think back I remember always trying to put stuff back together and tearing stuff apart to see how it worked when I was a lil kid. They even nicknamed me "The Destroyer" I NEVER wanted to work at a desk job or with menial paper work, so I guess everything just fell into place without me trying to make it. I'm most happiest when i'm all by myself just putting on 4 brake rotors, pads, and regreasing wheel bearings. :)

Samiam said:
:lol: Yeah, that's my problem...I'm fairly lazy. I've never really considered myself the ambitious type.

At the same time, I get really restless if I'm in one position or at one level for too long, so hopefully that will drive me forward.
I get the same way. If i get bored with what I'm doing, nothing left to learn in the position I'm in I get a bad I Don't Give A **** attitude

Deviant said:
I never thought I woulg go into being a mechanic, but when I think back I remember always trying to put stuff back together and tearing stuff apart to see how it worked when I was a lil kid. They even nicknamed me "The Destroyer" I NEVER wanted to work at a desk job or with menial paper work, so I guess everything just fell into place without me trying to make it. I'm most happiest when i'm all by myself just putting on 4 brake rotors, pads, and regreasing wheel bearings. :)
I think that would be a cool field to be in. I can't change a tire :p

Okay maybe a tire but thats about it.

mark said:
I can't do any worse than I've done as a lawyer.

You haven't gotten that first teacher's paycheck yet.

mark said:
I can't do any worse than I've done as a lawyer.
If I catch a murder charge I'd hire you

:huh:

Eison said:
You haven't gotten that first teacher's paycheck yet.

1. b/c of my meandering attorney career, I am underpaid for my level of experience.

2. teachers on long island make decent starting salaries.

3. teachers on long island who have other degrees make better starting salaries.

4. If I can land a few tutoring jobs, combined with my teacher's pay and i'll be making pretty much what I'm making now -- combined with the fact I get 3months off in the summer - which I COULD use to get some type of job if I want (read: my wife guilts me into it) ^_^

Kyp: I don't know **** about criminal law -- you'd probably end up with twice the sentence you'd otherwise get. LOL

mark said:
Kyp: I don't know **** about criminal law -- you'd probably end up with twice the sentence you'd otherwise get. LOL
I have faith in you

Just promise to write me

mark said:
1. b/c of my meandering attorney career, I am underpaid for my level of experience.

2. teachers on long island make decent starting salaries.

3. teachers on long island who have other degrees make better starting salaries.

4. If I can land a few tutoring jobs, combined with my teacher's pay and i'll be making pretty much what I'm making now -- combined with the fact I get 3months off in the summer - which I COULD use to get some type of job if I want (read: my wife guilts me into it) ^_^

I didn't expect it to greatly effect the family funds, but won't it still be a lot less of a paycheck? I mean I don't make a great salary but I make more a year than some teachers I know.

Kyp said:
I have faith in you

Just promise to write me

I'd even come visit you

I'm up in the air about a conjugal visit though

Eison said:
I didn't expect it to greatly effect the family funds, but won't it still be a lot less of a paycheck? I mean I don't make a great salary but I make more a year than some teachers I know.

the actual teacher's salary will be somewhat less but the tutoring would make up almost all of it.

but my mental health is worth a few dollars, I would say.

mark said:
the actual teacher's salary will be somewhat less but the tutoring would make up almost all of it.

but my mental health is worth a few dollars, I would say.

I would say given your situation that it is certainly worth the paycut.

I'm with you Mark, I've been feeling the same way and I just posted somethinag at the other place expressing just that. Unfortunalely I'm stuck what I'm doing for financial resaons but in 5 years I plan on doing something more fulfilling or at least something that will let me have a life afterhours.

Believe it or not I would love to be a professional waiter at a very high class place. You can me good money (portion off the books) (est. $50,000 to 80,000) and work just a few nights a week and have the days to yourself

Joe A said:
Believe it or not I would love to be a professional waiter at a very high class place. You can me good money (portion off the books) (est. $50,000 to 80,000) and work just a few nights a week and have the days to yourself

Those are hard to come by -- you really probably have to work your way up, especially in a top restaurant where the check is going to produce a tip of $50 - $60.

Back