What's new

Banning Children??

Should restaurants have the right to ban children?

• Total voters
I'm kinda middle of the line on this. I guess it would depend on at what point they would be asked to leave... What type of restaurant it is...

I would say it is more at the parent's discretion, but we do know that some parents can be stoopid and inconsiderate of others.

I can't really say absolutely or never. Especially when the word "ban" is used?...

I would say that a parent should remove the child themselves if they can not get them to calm after they've tried and failed. As to how long would that be... It depends on how loud and obnoxiuos they are being...

I would say no easy answer.

I think that some should have a right to restrict the hours when families with children can eat there.

I'm kinda middle of the line on this. I guess it would depend on at what point they would be asked to leave... What type of restaurant it is...

I would say it is more at the parent's discretion, but we do know that some parents can be stoopid and inconsiderate of others.

I can't really say absolutely or never. Especially when the word "ban" is used?...

I would say that a parent should remove the child themselves if they can not get them to calm after they've tried and failed. As to how long would that be... It depends on how loud and obnoxiuos they are being...

I would say no easy answer.

I agree and well said!

I'm not certain about the right to ban...unless prohibited of course. Some restaurants discourage children (sometimes blatantly with signs like the Bristol Tap). Parents might want to avoid restaurants without a children's menu unless little Trevor and Francios have discerning tastes as a toddler.

I'd recommend that the less schtick on the walls means the less likely you should bring children there.

If I'm going out to a nice dinner (pricey) I don't want to listen to a crying kid, or worse yet, the ones that run thru the restaurant making lots of noise and bumping tables etc as they make their 3rd trip to restroom.
I know not all kids act this way, but a pricey dinner for me is rare and I want to enjoy it. Totally Selfish!

Ban or impose limitations...Because I am old...but we did take our kids out to eat many times and they knew better than to act up...we usually had a 30 mile trip home...and it could seem way longer if one was in trouble...

Ban - as in wait until a particular child acts up or prohibit children?

The first, absolutely; the second definitely.

I'm in favor of adult only venues. While I absolutely adore little ones, even little ones with colic or whatever other issues; there are some places/prices where little ones should not be permitted. I see nothing wrong withi limiting the places where children are welcome.

So, any restaurant, in my book, has the right - and the responsibility to other diners - to request/ban a particular child on a particular night due to an event. If the child is an habitual rule-breaker (such as running/crawling), then the child/ren of that couple should be banned. Actually, I would request the parents not return (because after all, who is the responsible party?). And truthfully, that right to ban should apply to all places, including Chuckyducky or whatever that party place is. Children still need to remember where they are and that there is hot food around.

If they want to attract a certain clientele and set an atmosphere I think they should be able to do so. Our date nights are so rare that I tend to get irritated pretty quick at screaming/crying/obnoxious kids that are out too late with oblivious parents.

I think that if you want a nice meal and you have small children a WONDERFUL option now a days is TAKE OUT--many nice restaurants offer take out as an option

we hardly ate out when my kids were small becuase we had no money for a $$$ dinner out that costs as muich as a weeks worth of groceries but also it was no fun for me trying to shush them the whole night

I agree there are problems BUT I hate seeing those who can and do control their children excluded by a general rule...

For example, when my son was two months old we attended a Formal Christmas Party for DH's work. I carried/wore him in a beautiful red silk sling. He slept most of the night. Everyone enjoyed peaking at him and no one other than those who spoke to us knew he was there. When he needed to eat, I took him in another room and breastfed him. IF he had been unhappy, we would have left early, but at that age if we had been "banned" from bringing him, I wouldn't have been able to go and enjoy the party for no other reason than other parents/children couldn't pull manage it.

I guess the real problem is selfish parents who aren't willing to (a) teach their kids to behave or (b) put their needs aside for a tired child who should be at home and is letting them knnow so in no uncertain terms.

The problem isn't crying, unruly children. The problem is the ignoramus parents of the crying unruly children.

When we were little, or when my nieces were little, we knew enough to not bring them to certain restaurants where they may possibly disturb others. And in the restaurants where they did go, if one of them started to get agitated, before they even let out a peep, they were taken outside.

A lot of the problem is stupid rude parents who either don't care about other diners, or they feel so guilty about not being their kid's primary caretaker that they ignore any commotion.

I remember reading a post somewhere about a guy who said he & his wife were about to have their first child. They had been together for 10 years & had always dined out at fine restaurants several nights per week. He wanted to plan a special night out for after the baby. He intended to just continue on as they had but tow the baby along everywhere. He just sort of noticed that most of the expensive places they had been dining at never really seemed to have children. He STILL thought it would be no imposition to drag his newborn along. Other posters quickly showered him with crap for his arrogance and lack of concern for other diners. He whined about the costs of babysitters. Moron.

I have five kids. I would have never considered taking them out for an evening at a "nice" restaurant. That time would be reserved for my s/o and myself. The reason I am in favor of a "ban" is because stupid people breed. Sorry -- had to say it. I feel better now.

See... I still see it both ways.

Yep, there are certain places that kids just shouldn't be at. Higher end establishments... So in this case I do think it would be ok for them to say no kids allowed...

And for a business owner... I guess they can refuse to serve certain people. It would be crazy to think of this as discrimination... But there are some pretty stooopid people out there...

Overall... I think a parent should police their own kids, but again... How many don't?! For lower end restaurants... I don't think it should be.

I DO think the whole... Do they have a kid's menu is a good determining factor... For the most part.

Banning is too harsh and I don't think any restaurant will turn to that UNLESS there is a demand for it from their regular patrons. I don't mind babies crying or pacifiers flying around (but not on my food, please!) so I tolerate as much but when I know parents are busy on their cellphones unmindful of the chaos their kids are into, I go to management.

On my part, if I go to fine restaurants and willing to pay their price, I have higher expectations to enjoy my meal without having to put up with unruly kids who run back n forth screaming or going under tables. I know it's not my business to tell the parents what to do or how to discipline their kids BUT I will go to management for them to take care of the issue or we leave asap. I'm sure that if they get enough complaints, they'll figure out a policy to keep their patrons.

I feel the owner of the private establishment can determine their own rules.

I answered never - because I don't think children are the problem.... and I say this knowing my own children aren't always angels! I have taken my unruley children out of restaurants, let my DH pay, and waited in the car while the food was boxed to go. The problem is the parents who DON'T do that - or WON'T do that. Children need to learn how to act in public, so never taking them out doesn't really help. However, permissive parents ruin public opinion for the rest of us!!

Also if there are not highchairs should be a clue.

I could see taking my 5yo and soon my 2yo to a fancier restaurant. I do not allow wild children. When my oldest would fuss either my husband or I would walk her out of the dining area. As far as price I wouldn't think about taking them to an expensive restaurant not even for behavor, but they just won't like the food. They are happy with a $1 burger over a $10 burger any day.

I have actually walked out of Target with my youngest because all she was doing was making noise. People thought it was cute and she was just talking. She was a a year old and just wanted to hear her voice. I am more likely to leave with my kids being ill behaved opposed to leaving because of other ill behaved kids.

Back