What's new

Bodybuilding Thread

Thanks for your immediate response mate! Actually I am pretty thin that's why I decided to go to gym. I basically would like to gain weight and improve my core muscles and my arms a bit. They also told me to drink powdered protein as it will help me grow bigger in lesser time. I'm totally naive about these things so I really need your help guys! By the way thank for the link that you gave. I will start interacting on that forum right away!

Protein powder isn't anything magical bro. It's no different than say eating a piece of chicken or some eggs. Most people that are serious about lifting use them becuase it can become a quick easy meal thats packed with protein. I love having them just becuase i feel like i get to drink chocolate milk every morning and have a nice thick shake at night to kill that dessert craving.

If you bust your butt in the gym and stuff you face everyday you willl make progress. Honestly you don't need any supplements when you first start becuase your body will build a ridiculous amount of muscle in he first few months. Believe it or not you will gain more muscle in the first 3 months of lifting than someone on steroids who has been training for several years.

If your heart is set on something for a little extra boost in the gym I would look for some cheap protein, fish oil, creatine, and a good preworkout for some explosive training sessions. Do not I repeat do not buy from GNC.

Protein powder isn't anything magical bro. It's no different than say eating a piece of chicken or some eggs. Most people that are serious about lifting use them becuase it can become a quick easy meal thats packed with protein. I love having them just becuase i feel like i get to drink chocolate milk every morning and have a nice thick shake at night to kill that dessert craving.

If you bust your butt in the gym and stuff you face everyday you willl make progress. Honestly you don't need any supplements when you first start becuase your body will build a ridiculous amount of muscle in he first few months. Believe it or not you will gain more muscle in the first 3 months of lifting than someone on steroids who has been training for several years.

If your heart is set on something for a little extra boost in the gym I would look for some cheap protein, fish oil, creatine, and a good preworkout for some explosive training sessions. Do not I repeat do not buy from GNC.

Thanks for all these useful information you shared. I am already close to one month in the gym and I have really noticed my pectoralis major building up as well as my triceps. I only go to gym four times a week as the maximum and if I am really busy I could only go to the gym for 2 days in a week. Based on your experience, how often should a beginner go to the gym each week?

Question, do you think there is a point in going to the gym if you haven't met your calorie intake for the day? I read some where that you don't gain and it's a waste because you're burning more that your body has, therefore eating away at your muscle.

Not sure so if someone could answer that, would be appreciated! :)

Thanks for all these useful information you shared. I am already close to one month in the gym and I have really noticed my pectoralis major building up as well as my triceps. I only go to gym four times a week as the maximum and if I am really busy I could only go to the gym for 2 days in a week. Based on your experience, how often should a beginner go to the gym each week?

I would say listen to your body if you feel good going four times a week then keep that up. for any beginner 3-4 times a week is perfect and really just depends on the program you're doing. I've heard alot of great things about Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength program but in my opinion i feel like your body can handle more than it offers.

I'm receiving the best gains I have ever seen from hitting each muscle twice a week.
Deadlift, Squat, and Bench will be you're best friends if you want to see huge progress in a short time span. Even if you're not quite sure how to preform these lifts i suggest going to youtube and just watching videos. There nothing wrong with it I myself still go on and watch the how to videos just to see if there is anything i can change to help me push the most weight possible.

Question, do you think there is a point in going to the gym if you haven't met your calorie intake for the day? I read some where that you don't gain and it's a waste because you're burning more that your body has, therefore eating away at your muscle.

Its not true if it were people who are trying to lose weight would be hurting themselves more when they work out. Whats stopping you from going to the gym ripping it apart with a great workout then slamming down a few Big Mac's?

Its not true if it were people who are trying to lose weight would be hurting themselves more when they work out. Whats stopping you from going to the gym ripping it apart with a great workout then slamming down a few Big Mac's?

That's true although the nutrients in McDonalds food is crap. The sodium levels are ridiculous. I remember looking at a quarter pounder burger and it had like 1300g of sodium. That's INSANE!

I am an ectomorph and was always eating fast foods but I honestly didn't see much results until I started to eat proper food. I then slowly saw weight increase and differences in my physical appearance. If I can't meet my daily macros then yeah, I will have to eat some type of fast food just to meet the calorie intake.

It depends on your goals.

If you want to get bigger and stronger, Starting Strength(developed by the best strength training coach Mark Rippetoe) is the best training program developed. You will add ****loads of weight to each of your main lifts, which are squad/deadlift/bench. Do not do any sort of training that pro bodybuilders mention in their 'supplement magazines' or any 'fad diets' that are designed to make you buy useless supplements. They're on different performance enhancing drugs and that changes how you should train (mainly protein synthesis is increased and after a workout it's 24-48h in naturals and much longer in those enhanced, so they can get away with pretty much anything).

Obviously to grow bigger, you need proper nutrition and rest. That means getting enough calories(preferably 500 calories over your maintenance) will add 1lb/weekly and keep fat gains to minimum. That means you also need to consume adequate amounts of protein and dietary fats. Once you hit protein and fats minimums, you fill the rest with a mixture of protein/fats/carbs based on personal preference.

What foods to eat and when also doesn't matter, as long as you get all those macronutrients and MICROnutrients to keep healthy. That means your diet should be composed mainly of wholefoods, and 10-20% can come from processed foods if you want to eat them, in moderation.

You can calculate how much of each you need here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&p=436716771#post436716771

Awesome thank you! Ill take all of this into consideration and visit the website. Thanks for your help!!!

I would say listen to your body if you feel good going four times a week then keep that up. for any beginner 3-4 times a week is perfect and really just depends on the program you're doing. I've heard alot of great things about Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength program but in my opinion i feel like your body can handle more than it offers.

I'm receiving the best gains I have ever seen from hitting each muscle twice a week.
Deadlift, Squat, and Bench will be you're best friends if you want to see huge progress in a short time span. Even if you're not quite sure how to preform these lifts i suggest going to youtube and just watching videos. There nothing wrong with it I myself still go on and watch the how to videos just to see if there is anything i can change to help me push the most weight possible.

Currently I am doing three sets each for bench press and inclined bench press each gym visit. I am also doing squats but I am not really liking the after effect of it in my thighs and legs. I am concentrating more in my chest and arms.

That's just false, there are people who go to the gym in the morning or after they wake up and have really nice results.

Just have good pre and post workout meals and you'll be fine :)

Starting Strength is the best training program for a beginner to do. You add weight to all of your lifts every session and can make linear gains for several months and if you eat properly you will grow into one big fuker.

Thanks for your immediate response mate! Actually I am pretty thin that's why I decided to go to gym. I basically would like to gain weight and improve my core muscles and my arms a bit. They also told me to drink powdered protein as it will help me grow bigger in lesser time. I'm totally naive about these things so I really need your help guys! By the way thank for the link that you gave. I will start interacting on that forum right away!

Sort out you diet, and if it's deficient, then you should supplement it with anything you need.

Make sure to train all your muscle groups and do compound exercises. You will regret not doing Starting Strength and your lifts will suffer in the future.

Focus on the big picture. If you miss one or two days per month, in the long run it won't make any significant difference. Look at it this way. You need 3500 calorie surplus to put on 1lb. If you miss one day, you can make up for the other day by eating more.

McDonalds.. I don't live anywhere near it :/ It would make bulking so much easier lol

That's true although the nutrients in McDonalds food is crap. The sodium levels are ridiculous. I remember looking at a quarter pounder burger and it had like 1300g of sodium. That's INSANE!

I am an ectomorph and was always eating fast foods but I honestly didn't see much results until I started to eat proper food. I then slowly saw weight increase and differences in my physical appearance. If I can't meet my daily macros then yeah, I will have to eat some type of fast food just to meet the calorie intake.

Somatotypes is an old theory and really doesn't chang the way you diet.

Awesome thank you! Ill take all of this into consideration and visit the website. Thanks for your help!!!

No problem.

Currently I am doing three sets each for bench press and inclined bench press each gym visit. I am also doing squats but I am not really liking the after effect of it in my thighs and legs. I am concentrating more in my chest and arms.

Upper/lower or Full Body Workout or Starting Strength are good routines, making your own is a big mistake if you're still a beginner.

That's just false, there are people who go to the gym in the morning or after they wake up and have really nice results.

Just have good pre and post workout meals and you'll be fine :)

Training fasted can also work, some people have energy, some don't, it really depends on the person. Intermittent Fasting can also fit your schedule if you don't have time.

Thanks! Going to go eat big now haha haven't eaten in a couple of hours and could probably fit in a horse right now haha,

Thoughts on creatine monohydrate? I'm currently using it and have noticed some good bloating on it. Minor strength increases but should get better in time.

Thanks! Going to go eat big now haha haven't eaten in a couple of hours and could probably fit in a horse right now haha,

Thoughts on creatine monohydrate? I'm currently using it and have noticed some good bloating on it. Minor strength increases but should get better in time.

It's a great product. I wouldn't expect to get huge off of it or anything but it is one of the few proven to work supplements on the market. In a few weeks you should notice that you're pushing another rep or 2 instead of say going up in weight. Good luck to you bro its always nice to see people get serious about lifting.

Creatine can give you a small 'advantage' but it's mostly water weight and you'll look bigger when you're on it, always helps mentally lol.

Good bloating? Bloating is not good, bloating is one of the negative side effects of taking creatine monohydrate. Creatine is one of the few proven supplements, it will improve your strength and muscular endurance.

Creatine can give you a small 'advantage' but it's mostly water weight and you'll look bigger when you're on it, always helps mentally lol.

Creatine works by increasing the number of times adenosine triphosphate can be recycled, adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is the fuel used when weight training. Taking creatine will therefore improve your performance and your ability to build muscle.

What kind of training do you do?

I myself am on a 4 day upper/lower body split.

I also always love the debate when it comes to nutrition about the new lean gains program that shows it doesnt matter what types of food you eat as long as you meet your macros for the da you will still gain muscle

I use a 3 x per week full body programme. Today I will be doing squats, incline press ups, pull ups, and overhead press. Simple exercise which maximise neuromuscular stimulation.

Totally disagree with the food comment. The food you put into your body matters, the highest quality fuel will yield the best results, as well as your vitality and longevity.

Another workout lover here!
I've been training for almost 2 years and I feel it has really changed my body and my life.
As you know jarek, I like to keep things natural so I don't take any supplements.

My routine is split in 2 days
Which do you think are the best protein sources?

The best protein source are meat and eggs. Consume a wide range of animals, preferably grass-fed meat. Wild game is good, good quality steak is the best protein source in my opinion.

I am looking into going to the gym and starting working out. I have protein powder and ive been told that one day i should work legs and one upper body and split them up. Do you have any other tips? Also what type of workouts work best for abdominals?

I would recommend doing a full body routine 3 x per week. Full body routines are simple, allow more time for recovery, and the muscles respond to the high frequency. Squats, deadlift, bench, rows, pull ups, press ups, overhead press and dips are the exercises you should include in your programme.

I was told that vegetable proteins are better than animal proteins, that's why I'm asking this.

Not true. Vegetable protein does not offer a full amino acid profile. To 'complete' the protein you need to combine it with meat or eggs. For 99% of our evolution, the vast majority of our protein came from meat.

If you want to gain weight, eat fat, good quality fat in the form of grass-fed meat, coconut, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado. Fat has 9 calories per gram, compared with 4 calories per gram in protein and carbohydrate. From an evolutionary point of view, fat is our prefered energy source.

Back