What's new

Booing an elected offical at a Commencement Address

Should students boo/heckle/embarass commencement speakers?

• No, it shows lack of class, respect, and decency

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if they choose to

• Not Sure

• Total voters

GoingNova

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
An elected official is asked to give a commencement address at a university. Do you think it is appropriate for students to heckle/embarrass them?

John McCain Booed

I think it is very poor form. If you don't like the speaker, don't go. If you don't like what is being said, leave. To boo, heckle, or embarrass the speaker, who was invited to attend, is just a low class thing to do in my opinion.

I think it is their right to do that, but I agree with you that it is very stupid/childish of someone to actually do that. Like you said if you don't like the person or what they are saying don't go. But people will be people and make a **** of themselves. So I will just sit back and silently laugh at them.

I'm sorry, but most of the time you are required to attend these things and if it's someone I don't like... I'm going to let them know it.

I wouldn't start a chant or a boo, but if one were going I'd probably contribute.

For example.. when I graduated Lazio was running for senate and gave the commencement at my HS (he also went to my HS). I didn't boo him or heckle, but when I proceeded to get my degree and he handed it to me.. I grinned and said "only you could have single handedly screwed up the lead you got as Guiliani's big start...."

woka

Chrisl0 said:
I think it is their right to do that, but I agree with you that it is very stupid/childish of someone to actually do that. Like you said if you don't like the person or what they are saying don't go. But people will be people and make a **** of themselves. So I will just sit back and silently laugh at them.

No one is questioning their "right" to do it, but just because you have the "right" to do something, doesn't mean you should.

Some people act really stupid though, I've been to allot of things in my high school including graduation and I didn't want to be there. Luckily my PSP got me through it fairly easily. Even though I am against it allot of times I just wanted to scream out "You Suck".

GoingNova said:

No one is questioning their "right" to do it, but just because you have the "right" to do something, doesn't mean you should.

Oh well then if that is the case, I am with you 100%. They shouldn't do it because its impolite and it makes the person look like a ****.

I also agree that it is impolite.. i would definitely go about my disagreements in other ways cause i know opinions are like "________" everyone has one.

Yea, you don't have to agree with the person but at least respect the persons right to say what he/she wants to say.

Nova, it just goes to proof what I have long thought - too many parents these days are rearing ignorant little pricks.

Big Prick+Big Prick= equal a bunch of little pricks. It's a simple equation that holds true today.

I totally agree, Chris. Some parents are not doing their job, obviously. They have raised a bunch of ignorant, disrespectful little ****s.

there are more than enough ingorant little pricks out there.Not all of them are kids though.And unfortunately those people breed.People seem to think it's their 'right' to be as rude as possible , and disturb those around them. The word 'respect' is not even in their vocabulary , let alone common decency.

we may have freedom of speech , but we should know when to just shut the hell up and keep opinions to ourselves (except for when you are on BA of course,as that's what it's all about).If we don't like what we are hearing,then just get the hell up and out the door!

Hey, good looking. Where have you been?
Couldn't agree with you more about how unfortunate it is to allow some people to breed. The swines!

ANGLOIRISH said:
Hey, good looking. Where have you been?
I have been quickly in and out of BA the last little while,as I haven't had much free time .

ANGLOIRISH said:
I totally agree, Chris. Some parents are not doing their job, obviously. They have raised a bunch of ignorant, disrespectful little ****s.

I know what you mean, if my father wasn't tough on me when I was young I might of became a whine little brat. These people just don't care they don't want to be bothered raising their kids. They want to do their own thing.

Ya,my dad scared the crap out of me,but I learned a lot.(Don't tell him that,though)

melba toast said:
there are more than enough ingorant little pricks out there.Not all of them are kids though.And unfortunately those people breed.People seem to think it's their 'right' to be as rude as possible , and disturb those around them. The word 'respect' is not even in their vocabulary , let alone common decency.

I know these people get on my nerves. Sometimes they piss me off so much I just want to get a baseball bad and knock them on the side of the head and do the world a favor. Sadly my common sense takes over before it gets that far.

Back