What's new

Can you speak more then one languages

Wow, amazing! How long did it take you to pick up all these languages?

Well I knew most of them already somewhat last time I listed them off in this forum which I think was 7 years ago. But I learned the Nordic languages and Italian since then and brushed up on all of the ones I listed off if they were languages I used most often. So about 7 years to add new languages. Once I learned a few different ones I carry the aspect of linguistics across them all to help me speak (and read, which I'm better at since pronunciation is the most difficult of this mix of languages).

The way to go about it is just to do it, you only live once and well it's worth it to learn to live it up a little also to travel and use language skills!

I speak Okinawan (which is a different dialect of Japanese) and also my native Japanese and of course, English.

I speak Okinawan (which is a different dialect of Japanese) and also my native Japanese and of course, English.

I tried to learn Japanese a couple of times, without much success so far. What's the easiest way to learn Kanji? :)

Before you learn Kanji more than likely if you want to learn Japanese you will have to learn also Hiragana, Katakana and also Romaji. There are even some native Japanese who don't know the full language spectrum. That's how difficult it is to learn. I know that doesn't sound so encouraging. English was easy for me to learn...there's only one numeric and alphabetic system. In Japanese there's three. Hope that helps lol
mionew286775.png

Before you learn Kanji more than likely if you want to learn Japanese you will have to learn also Hiragana, Katakana and also Romaji.

Yeah, I learnt the Kana syllables multiple times, last time in only two days! But after a few weeks, I had forgotten most of them again. How can you remember them? :)

And what is the difference between Romaji and the Latin alphabet? :)

So, how do I remember the Kanji? I know that some Kanji are combined of others, but how do you remember the basic Kanji?

The book that I used to learn Japanese begins easy but in chapter 3 it's all Kana, and as soon as Kanji are introduced, they're used as well. lol

And what is the difference between Romaji and the Latin alphabet? :)
l

I really dont know the "difference" But its where you take for example, a logographic from Japanese Kanji and simply that letter in the alphabet. You see that now? The romanization of Japanese is the application of the Latin alphabet to write the Japanese language with the english alphabetic system. This method of writing is known as r?maji (????) the literal meaning "Roman letters" sometimes incorrectly transliterated as romanji or r?manji. Japanese is normally written in logographic characters. All Japanese who have attended elementary school since World War II and after, have been taught to read and write romanized Japanese. Hope this helps.

As far as learning Kanji your best bet would be is to go to a person one-on-one in person. I used to help foreigners with it and that was the best way I found out when showing them.

All Japanese who have attended elementary school since World War II and after, have been taught to read and write romanized Japanese. Hope this helps.

The book that I used used ???? only for the first 2 chapters. ;)

As far as learning Kanji your best bet would be is to go to a person one-on-one in person. I used to help foreigners with it and that was the best way I found out when showing them.

OK, perhaps I have to find some kind of school to learn it on in my spare time then.

I can only remember the simpliest sentences, like ???????? or ??????, lol ... at the computer, I get assistance from a dictionary tho, or it'd all be in Hiragana! ;) (are the Kanji correct? ? for "hon", ?? for "akai" etc.?) :)

The book that I used used ???? only for the first 2 chapters. ;)

OK, perhaps I have to find some kind of school to learn it on in my spare time then.

I can only remember the simpliest sentences, like ???????? or ??????, lol ... at the computer, I get assistance from a dictionary tho, or it'd all be in Hiragana! ;) (are the Kanji correct? ? for "hon", ?? for "akai" etc.?) :)

Hmmm yeah but one thing you must not do is rely on the online dictionaries..for simple wording is okay..-But-..some of those translate the grammar, punctuation, and what have you as inaccurate. They just don't pick up on the more advanced terms/words etc. And yes you are doing fine ^^ Keep at it, and eventually you will pick up on it..there's a plethora of websites out there too..

Hmmm yeah but one thing you must not do is rely on the online dictionaries..for simple wording is okay..-But-..some of those translate the grammar, punctuation, and what have you as inaccurate. They just don't pick up on the more advanced terms/words etc. And yes you are doing fine ^^ Keep at it, and eventually you will pick up on it..there's a plethora of websites out there too..

Yeah, I didn't use an online translator, I used the dictationary that comes with the Japanese input method. Since I'm already using US and German keyboard layouts, adding Japanese SCIM input method was simple. With that, I can type Romaji and they get translated to Kana and when I press space on a word, it switches thru dictionary entries for different Kanji readings. I know that particles and sometimes word endings are spelled out using Hiragana. I'm just not sure which Kanji reading is correct, lol.

But perhaps doing that is also a way to learn Kanji.

I need to stock up on Japanese learning material sometime. I've been interested in Korean and Chinese too, but Japanese is the closest to European languages. Many words in Japanese are a bit similar to English or German. ????? for instance, it sounds similar in my local German dialect. Even the word ?? appears in my local dialect for "this". Even ?, which exists in a similar context in dialect, and ?? is regular German word anyway, lol :)

I lived in Okinawa for 6 years before too..interesting place and its much different of course than the mainland..the dialect of okinawan from Japanese is much different...so I also speak okinawan..Read about it sometime..

I lived in Okinawa for 6 years before too..interesting place and its much different of course than the mainland..the dialect of okinawan from Japanese is much different...so I also speak okinawan..Read about it sometime..

Thanks! I heard that Okinawa is much different from mainland Japan, I will read about it! :)

I can speak semi fluent french and spanish, when I forget a word, google is my friend, lol.

Back