What's new

Can't track down problem with Winamp...

JRS7

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Been using Winamp with the Sqrsoft crossfading plugin for years in my DJ business without any skipping problems. I'm now trying to use Winamp for Karaoke, and I'm getting some strange skipping problem.

It happens sometimes when a song is playing, and I try to load another song. The computer will hesitate, then skip for a few seconds while the new song loads....it doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time. I've tried to watch the resource load, and it don't even go up that high when it happens! It's like the computer is working too hard for a few seconds and it don't make sense. The computer don't have any problem like this just DJ'ing, it's only on Karaoke. It's an almost brand new Dell, w/ 1.4 dual core processors, and 2Gig of Ram, the machine should have PLENTY of muscle! I have an old P4, 1.5 with 512 Ram at home running the same version of Winamp, and I can't get it to skip like the new Dell does, so the Dell should have No Problem running the karaoke.

I though maybe it was having 2700 songs in the same folder, but I tried a smaller folder and it still does it from time to time.

I really want to use Winamp for Karaoke, just can't have this skipping going on.....anyone have any ideas?

I also just loaded a song on the old P4 computer, pulled the resource window, and while the song was playing yanked around the lyrics window back and forth. The useage went up to 100% and the song never skipped or hesitated at all! On the new Dell it'll sometimes skip with the useage at less than 50%......

I also know it's not a specific song, it has nothing to do with any one song.
JRS7

I have seen something like that on a desktop computer I have at home, also a fairly fast machine. Like you said , only seems to happen when playing a song and then adding another one. I will also sometimes see WinAmp Not Responding message, but the playing song doesn't skip, just can't do anything for about 20-30 seconds, which if it happened at a gig would be an eternity. Never seen the problem on my laptop, that I use at gigs. Wish I could help with what causing it.

I am sure you will be seeing posts asking why are you using winamp to DJ, and not Rockit, PCDJ, Trakktor, VDJ, on and on. I've looked at many of these programs, and will be converting in the near future, but as you know WinAmp has great search features and database tools, and gee it's free.

What plugin are you using to do karaoke with?

If it's autokdj then I think it has something to do with the way winamp handles database and the file server.

It won't take it away completely, but you could try separating all of your karaoke songs by series and then disc. This seems to keep the problem to a minimum.

If you're using something else, then I have no idea and someone else will have to add their two cents.

-James

If your files are zipped the process of unzipping them happens first before it is added to the playlist add to that the size of your playlist and the delay can get worse...

I've found that on older machines winamp works best if the files are unzipped rather than zipped up.... you may still see a slight delay if your playlist is larger than what can be displayed in it... but, not nearly as pronounced as when they are in zip format.

It really has more to do with the unzip/winamp read function than it does any thing else.

One way to avoid the problem is to hold any enqueing until after a singer is finished while you call the next singer up....

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using the plugin that is available on the Winamp site, I'm pretty sure that AutoKdj uses the exact same one.

I have a little suspision about the Output Plugin. The one on my newer computer that has the problem is 'Nullsoft DirectSound Output v2.47' and the one I'm using on the older computer that works correctly is 'Nullsoft WaveOut Output v2.11'.

Even thought they're both running the same version of Winamp 5.52, the 'Nullsoft WaveOut Output v2.11' is not available as an option on the newer computer, so I can't try it. Although I did switch the output to my DJ plugin 'Sqrsoft Crossfading', and as of yet I haven't been able to get it to skip.....I'm going to keep trying and if it never skips then that will tell me that the problem is the 'Nullsoft DirectSound Output v2.47'. (Although I do realize that the 'Sqrsoft Crossfading' Output wouldn't be feasable for Karaoke.....

I have thought about just not queing up the next singer until the current one stops, but I would rather track down the problem. A pretty nice new computer should be able to run Winamp Karaoke with no problem.

That's cool... if you ever decide you want rotation control then AutOKdj would be right up your alley.... no need to maintain rotations on paper or even notepad on the computer.... all that is taken care of for you by AutOKdj....

I'd be interested if you're able to narrow it down to the output I personally use Wav out like you instead of Direct..... I've never seen skipping just a lag in the lyric screen.

I have a very inexpensive and good quality solution for you. Tricerasoft has a program called Just Karaoke. You can download the demo and try it before you buy. I just went to a show where a Karaoke host was using it and the sound was very good. It's very simple to use and the search looked like it was really fast and easy. He said it was only $25. Here's a link to it.

The majority of hosts in this area are using Sax and Dotty, it's $60. It uses winamp as the music engine though, so beware.

There is a program called Karafun that I use for practicing at home. It's free for personal use and about $150 for professional use. It has both key change and tempo adjustment. It's a great program and I use it almost daily. It works great, but doesn't have a good search feature. I drag songs from a song folder into the list area. You need another way to find the song that is requested. I found out from this that vista has a very good search function.

For about $179 you can get Compuhost which from what I have read is the best out there as far as stability and features.

But be careful with Tricersoft if you have a problem help is non-exsistent and they will not refund your money if the program doesn't work (which in all likelyhood it won't) But that has been my experience with the company you may get different results, but try calling their support engineer before you buy from them and then after you purchase and see what a difference them having your money makes! LOL

Sacks and Dotty uses winamp base and it has little to no problems except for a small lag when searching extreemly large data bases. ( and I mean extreemly large)

Power Karaoke works without problems as well

I actually uninstalled Winamp last night, and reinstalled v. 2.85. I have played a bunch of songs, and (crossing my fingers!) have not yet been able to make it skip. I am also putting in folders for every letter of the alphabet for my Karaoke songs, thus cutting WAY DOWN on my Karaoke folder.

But I still suspect that's it's something to do with the output on the newer Winamp.....the older version (2.85) uses an older version of the waveout plugin, and so far seems to be working.....I'll keep you posted.

Any other ideas please feel free to chime in! I have to make dang sure before I go out for my first Karaoke job that this is fixed.....I have a really good reputation as a DJ in my area, would hate to screw that up on my first Karaoke job! :)

JRS7

when you were using the latest version of winamp... what skin were you using?

I know that some of the new skins like for example the Bento skin is a bit buggy.... I always stick with Winamp Classic or the Modern skin even on newer faster machines....

when you were using the latest version of winamp... what skin were you using?

I know that some of the new skins like for example the Bento skin is a bit buggy.... I always stick with Winamp Classic or the Modern skin even on newer faster machines....

Same here....I never use anything but the Classic skin, does that mean I'm getting old and boring?

Same here....I never use anything but the Classic skin, does that mean I'm getting old and boring?

hahaha no I don't think so... or at least hope not.... ha!:sqlaugh:

Downloaded the JustKaraoke Demo, it looks pretty cool!! Problem is it won't let me play any songs. It's says it'll do 10 songs in the demo, but it won't even play one.

Hard to see if it'll work without the skipping problem if I can't play any songs.......

If you buy the program with a credit card and have a problem with it not working you can contact the credit card company to contest it. We're talking about $25 so it's not a huge amount of money.

The only reason I suggested it is because the user interface looked so simple and easy to operate and the sound was clean and clear plus the search feature was easy and fast. As far as the skipping, I had some popping sounds when I got my current Dell laptop with Vista home premium. I tried everything I could think of. Finally I turned off networking so the network card was not searching for a connection or trying to connect to the internet and the popping noise stopped. My point? It may be winamp causing the skipping and it could something totally unrelated. Tricerasoft also has a free player. It works fine. It's not set up for hosting, but the program is decent.

Powerkaraoke also has some programs worth downloading and trying. Their $100 Siglos Professional hosting program seems very powerful and full of features. The only thing it doesn't have that I want and need is tempo adjustment. Sax and Dotty has pitch and tempo adjustment. If you don't need or care about tempo adjustment then Just Karaoke is the easiest and least expensive way to go that I know of.

Try Karafun, it's free, see how it works and what happens.

Honestly I have tried Karafun..... BIGWASTE OF TIME!

I really like the looks of the JustKaraoke, does anyone have a demo version on their computer that will allow you to play 10 songs? I hate to spend the $25 without trying it first......

I've tried the demo on their website twice, and it just won't let me play any songs......

Ok, I finally got it. My new awesome computer was trying to use a codec from a program for burning DVD's, and it wouldn't work with the JustKaraoke program. I removed the program, and now JustKaraoke works!! I really like it, it's a much better plan for Karaoke than Winamp, so I think I'll buy it. And very smooth, no skipping as of yet. I'll probably use Winamp to fill in the 'gaps' between singers so there's not any 'dead air'.

Some very helpful people here, thanks for all the replies.....I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get deeper into the Karaoke business!! (Such as, how do I configure my computer to have just the Lyrics Window come out the S-Video connector....oops sorry, that's for another thread....:) :) :)

Thanks again!

JRS7

I have a much better program for you than winamp for the filler music. It's far better than windows media player. It's called Spider Player. It's terrific, simple, stable, has great sound, easy playlist management etc. It's free and there is a Pro version that has some enhanced features for only $20. I also use a program called Quintessential player that's really good, it's free too.

I have a great and simple DJ program for you too called DJMixPro. It's the easiest and simplest DJ program I've found and it only costs $20. Don't let the cost fool you, it's a great program that does a lot. There is also a free demo.

Back