• D'uh... what is wyerless???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ahoustondj

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I should have added a poll

Can a Moderator add a Poll between the two Mikes to this thread ? Rob?

Wow that's a tough question... without a doubt both mics are excellent.... I have the Shure PGX24/58 which as near as I can tell the only difference is th recievers both have the SM58 wireless mic... great mic and very good range and battery life.

I have the EV RE-2 with a Lav and headset mic.... but haven't tried the handheld mic yet... I'm told that it is as good if not better than the SM58..

I'd probably go with the EV simply because of versatility of mics you can use... I can buy a mic for my EV and use either the lav, headset or a hand held. With the Shure I'm not so sure you can.

Wow that's a tough question... without a doubt both mics are excellent.... I have the Shure PGX24/58 which as near as I can tell the only difference is th recievers both have the SM58 wireless mic... great mic and very good range and battery life.

I have the EV RE-2 with a Lav and headset mic.... but haven't tried the handheld mic yet... I'm told that it is as good if not better than the SM58..

I'd probably go with the EV simply because of versatility of mics you can use... I can buy a mic for my EV and use either the lav, headset or a hand held. With the Shure I'm not so sure you can.

What about the other questions on rack mounting the unit and antenna?

The shure you've posted doesn't have external antennae as far as I know it's all internal to the reciever.... if it were me the better comparison would be the Shure PGX24/58... although this unit does have antennae they are mounted to the front of the unit and are not removeable.... as for racking either unit you'd need a rack shelf and little bit of velcro....

The EV's antennae are mounted in the rear using typical BNC connections you could conceivably get BNC connectors mounted to a rack blank and move the antennae to the front of your rack but you still would need a rack shelf and a little velcro....

nether unit has a rack kit that I'm aware of.

The shure you've posted doesn't have external antennae as far as I know it's all internal to the reciever.... if it were me the better comparison would be the Shure PGX24/58... although this unit does have antennae they are mounted to the front of the unit and are not removeable.... as for racking either unit you'd need a rack shelf and little bit of velcro....

The EV's antennae are mounted in the rear using typical BNC connections you could conceivably get BNC connectors mounted to a rack blank and move the antennae to the front of your rack but you still would need a rack shelf and a little velcro....

The Shure I posted IS the PGX24/58. What are you babbling about? Links please, use NFLX Pro site.

You are correct, I apologize :sqerr: Well now you will have to edit the Poll. I'll change my original Link.

WaydeWest said:
You linked to the PG not the PGX.
I see someone is paying attention! Thanks!:sqlaugh:

I love my EV mic but honestly I would rather sing with a Shure for only one reason. The EV is very light which has its advantages but it seems to have a bit more handling noise. With the shure you can shake it etc and not get any noise.

I have one of the old RE2 wireless microphones. If you can't buy a rackmount kit for it, you could always just install a universal shelf. I LOVE my microphone the quality is stellar and as Rob mentioned you can use any kind of microphone you want with it.

The only drawback for me is that the handheld doesn't have a mute switch. *I'm always forgetting to turn the darn thing on before I start talking8

just my two cents

-James

WaydeWest said:
For rack mounting, there is a shelve that holds up to two units side by side.

I have this very setup for Karaoke.

Dual PGX24/SM58 units permanently mounted on the Shure URT universal rack shelf.

Looks good, works great.

I won't comment on the Shure stuff, but I will tell you why I think the RE-2 is the best bang for the buck wireless on the market.....

1. All metal receiver chassis provides better shielding from interference (others at this price point are plastic)

2. You can mount 2 receiver units side-by-side in a single rack space AND front-mount the antennas!

3. Combination tone & amplitude squelch allows for a single on/off button (no seperate mute switch). You can turn off the mic with no noise and still save battery life!

4. Battery can be inserted with the terminals in either spot allowing for quick changes and eliminating the need to read the + or - symbols in dark environments.

5. One touch Clearscan functionality (our 5th generation of scanning) looks for the best group AND channel.

6. Mic AND Line level outputs!

7. 4 step battery indicator light on the receiver (most others just come on when the battery is already low and possibly too late to change.

8. AF and RF metering displayed on the receiver.

9. 2 year warranty!

10. "Posi-Phase" technology takes signal received by BOTH antennas and COMBINES them, thus increasing the excellent range even more! (most systems employ a "switching" technique and will change between the strongest signal at any given time - frequently this causes variations in audio levels and can make lots of noise through the PA.

11. Cuz I said so!:sqlaugh:

Well when you put it like that

I won't comment on the Shure stuff, but I will tell you why I think the RE-2 is the best bang for the buck wireless on the market.....

1. All metal receiver chassis provides better shielding from interference (others at this price point are plastic)

2. You can mount 2 receiver units side-by-side in a single rack space AND front-mount the antennas!

3. Combination tone & amplitude squelch allows for a single on/off button (no seperate mute switch). You can turn off the mic with no noise and still save battery life!

4. Battery can be inserted with the terminals in either spot allowing for quick changes and eliminating the need to read the + or - symbols in dark environments.

5. One touch Clearscan functionality (our 5th generation of scanning) looks for the best group AND channel.

6. Mic AND Line level outputs!

7. 4 step battery indicator light on the receiver (most others just come on when the battery is already low and possibly too late to change.

8. AF and RF metering displayed on the receiver.

9. 2 year warranty!

10. "Posi-Phase" technology takes signal received by BOTH antennas and COMBINES them, thus increasing the excellent range even more! (most systems employ a "switching" technique and will change between the strongest signal at any given time - frequently this causes variations in audio levels and can make lots of noise through the PA.

11. Cuz I said so!:sqlaugh:

I shall also mention when I use my mic for Singing its my favorite. My above comment was only mentioned for those singers who have no mic knowledge.:sqerr:

I'm a fan of the Audio Technica 4000/5000 series, but it fails the 'price point' comparison. ;) I'm real happy with my AT4000 w/ a T6100 Hypercardiod microphone - but it's not anywhere near that price point.

But given the choice between that Shure and the EV, the winner goes to EV. Hands down.

But if I'm buying for 'singers' I'd go a difference route completely... and have. ;)

You are correct, I apologize :sqerr: Well now you will have to edit the Poll. I'll change my original Link.

I see someone is paying attention! Thanks!:sqlaugh:

Poll changed.... LMAO ;)

The only drawback for me is that the handheld doesn't have a mute switch. *I'm always forgetting to turn the darn thing on before I start talking8

just my two cents

-James

I don't get it....wouldn't you have to remember to turn on a mute switch also???

I have not use the EV but will pick the Shure for the following reason:

Depending on the model you can have your handheld completely repaired / serviced for around $100 I know my UT2's are $94. I have sent them in once each and I plan to send them here in the near future.

It was like I purchased Wireless mics for $450 and got now ones 3 years later for $100 now I'll get new ones here again 3 years later for $100 each.

If EV wants to offer the same deal I may consider, but I have just had such great luck with Shure.

Shure makes a great mic, but comparing a PGX to a RE2 is not really a fair comparison. The RE2 wins hands down in every category. The RE2 would stack up more fairly against Shure's SLX.

So... if it's PGX vs RE2... RE2 wins, hands down.

Ben

PS - I own and use an RE2 for all of my presentations. You can imagine what would happen if MY mic didn't work. ;) I obviously trust it a lot, and it has flown dozens and dozens of times and the airlines haven't managed to destroy it yet. LOL.

What about the other questions on rack mounting the unit and antenna?

Yes you can.

Here's a pic from my first rack that housed two EV RE2s.

The EV kit = RM-D Rack-mount kit - double (for two receivers).

Back