What's new

Culvers vs. Dairy Queen

moreforless

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Which one of the two has better frozen desserts in your opinion and why?

I like both. The base custard at Culver's is far superior, but Dairy Queen has a much larger range of toppings/additions. If I'm not a huge fan of Culver's flavor of the day and wanted something with mixins, I would probably go to Dairy Queen. But the one closest to us closes in the winter, so that's something.

And the food at Culver's is way better. I'm psyched Culver's has opened in Phoenix because now I don't have to give it up when we move. (I will miss Aldi like mad.)

I'm psyched Culver's has opened in Phoenix because now I don't have to give it up when we move. (I will miss Aldi like mad.)

But this will make you feel better...

B894A51B58CC4369A9F4183F032BB2EC.jpg

And one soon to open in Tempe...How come AZ gets Portillo's & Iowa does not... :(

portillos is over priced beef sandwiches IMO and their fries suck

lol

BUT as for ice cream

hello--Culvers taste so much better :)

portillos is over priced beef sandwiches IMO and their fries suck

True about the fries...but when I only get Portillo's about twice a year, cost is not a deterrent...

We like Tastee-Freez...when we can find one...

toger let me know when you are coming close--or drive to dubuque ( closer then Chicago..) i will bring you some good beef that is a lot cheaper!

OMG how can you hate Portillo fries????? I think they are the best. Love that crinkle and crunch.

crinkle fries?? ooh yuck reminds me of growing up and my mom making frozen fries in the oven..

give me a good local hotdog/beef place with fresh hand cut fries sooooo much better and almost always sooo much cheaper then portillos--I dont need atmosphere I just want good food :)

I like both. The base custard at Culver's is far superior, but Dairy Queen has a much larger range of toppings/additions. If I'm not a huge fan of Culver's flavor of the day and wanted something with mixins, I would probably go to Dairy Queen. But the one closest to us closes in the winter, so that's something.

And the food at Culver's is way better. I'm psyched Culver's has opened in Phoenix because now I don't have to give it up when we move. (I will miss Aldi like mad.)

Why are you moving to Phoenix? Job opportunity?

Are you talking about the desserts, like the cakes, or just ice cream? I've never ordered a dessert from Culvers, but I've had one of the pies from DQ. We're partial to DQ. I think because our local shop is a small shop that is open March-October, so it's a treat & we miss it when it's closed. :lol:

Culver's is so much better! Dairy Queen was a favorite at one time, but I do believe over the years it went from creamy with a lot of butterfat to more of ice milk.

crinkle fries?? ooh yuck reminds me of growing up and my mom making frozen fries in the oven..

give me a good local hotdog/beef place with fresh hand cut fries sooooo much better and almost always sooo much cheaper then portillos--I dont need atmosphere I just want good food :)

That is too funny because I can't stand fresh cut fries. They are always so flimsy and soggy and usually have a burnt taste to them. My all time favorrite fries are Checkers. They are covered in seasoning and they taste so good. All the Checkers closed around here and I was so sad. I only get my fix when we go to FL. Speaking of which, Steve...please go get my fix for me this year as this is the first winter we won't be heading down there. :pout:

toger let me know when you are coming close--or drive to dubuque ( closer then Chicago..) i will bring you some good beef that is a lot cheaper!

I have no clue...maybe sometime this summer or not until November...If I had my pick of beef places it would be Johnny's on North Avenue in Elmwood Park...I grew up eating Carm's Beef on Harlem Avenue in Berwyn, but they closed eons ago...

I like johnnys but its just waaaaay too neat and clean for a hotdog joint--lol I like my hotdog joints a little dirty :)

they have great Italian ice as well mmm

Back