What's new

Does having SNAP make people not care about food costs?

In our foster care class last night, the instructors were telling us that when we have the bio-parents to our homes, it should be viewed as a mentoring opportunity. Lots of the bio-moms don't know where to begin with cooking & meal planning & following a recipe. It goes beyond taking care of their kids for awhile- when it works well, you're helping the bio-parents in many areas, not just because you're "watching" their kids for a few months. Helping them get it together goes beyond sending them a copy of their kid's report card. So, there is a huge percentage of our population that wouldn't know what to do with a bag of flour if it hit them in the face. We can't just offer them "healthy" foods & expect that they will all know how to cook. It's a bigger problem than it seems like.[/QUOTE]

So true our local food banks said that outright. That most of the people getting food have no idea what to do with flour , that getting mixes would much better serve them . I thought about that when I saw (sorry somebody's post ) in this thread with the pork chops, maybe they don't know how to make them.

They would have to learn, and there would be programs to teach, guides, cookbooks. That's like saying people shouldn't have to work if they have no job skill. They have to learn.

Yes, ideally that would be the case. I don't see that happening, though. Attend this cooking class, get your food voucher? So now the habitually unemployed- the "slackers" we're all ganging up on here- will suddenly motivate to attend a class to get their food money? I doubt it, and their kids will be the ones to suffer. OR, the "working poor" who receive assistance will now have to find time to attend a class?

I don't know what the solution is, there is no one-size-fits-all fix for this.

In our foster care class last night, the instructors were telling us that when we have the bio-parents to our homes, it should be viewed as a mentoring opportunity. Lots of the bio-moms don't know where to begin with cooking & meal planning & following a recipe. It goes beyond taking care of their kids for awhile- when it works well, you're helping the bio-parents in many areas, not just because you're "watching" their kids for a few months. Helping them get it together goes beyond sending them a copy of their kid's report card. So, there is a huge percentage of our population that wouldn't know what to do with a bag of flour if it hit them in the face. We can't just offer them "healthy" foods & expect that they will all know how to cook. It's a bigger problem than it seems like.

So true.
But people do learn if the crutches are not available, it's called survivor instinct.

Yes, ideally that would be the case. I don't see that happening, though. Attend this cooking class, get your food voucher? So now the habitually unemployed- the "slackers" we're all ganging up on here- will suddenly motivate to attend a class to get their food money? I doubt it, and their kids will be the ones to suffer. OR, the "working poor" who receive assistance will now have to find time to attend a class?

I don't know what the solution is, there is no one-size-fits-all fix for this.
No, but it would be a good start. Nobody would let their children starve, because of a lack of cooking skills. Worse case, the children would be eating raw fruits & vegetables until the parents figured out how to cook something. It's a hell of a lot better than them eating Mountain Dew & Doritos.

I saw that show! It was VERY interesting. They ALL............every single one of them lived on Mountain Dew. This was in the Appalachians. It's like a 3rd world country (well maybe not that bad) up there.

Most everyone drinks pop/soda due to the poor quality of water. That's if they are lucky enough to have enough water pressure to have actual running water.
I don't understand the church groups that travel overseas in seach of those in need of assistance, There are so many people,in their own back yard who need a helping hand.

:hmm?:
From what I read here we need a Jewel!

Most everyone drinks pop/soda due to the poor quality of water. That's if they are lucky enough to have enough water pressure to have actual running water.
I don't understand the church groups that travel overseas in seach of those in need of assistance, There are so many people,in their own back yard who need a helping hand.

A gallon of distilled water is much cheaper than Mountain Dew. If my water were bad, i'd buy it.

So true.
But people do learn if the crutches are not available, it's called survivor instinct.

Thank you for putting a name on what I do. so much of these posts by me could have spared if I would have only known to call it what it is survior instinct.
Seriously thanks that does sum it up. I just did not know how to say it.

It is blatantly obvious that many people have no concept of how to cook. I do not mean open a box of hamburger helper cooking, I mean bake a pan of brownies from scratch, make mashed potatoes from real potatoes and real butter. Have ya watched jamie oliver and he showed how kids have no clue that ketchup is made from tomatoes. If ya watch a lot of the cooking shows, it is redundant to see how some keep explaining evoo means extra virgin olive oil.... add more salt n pepper as ya cook, leave the skins on carrots ect... it all seems simple if you have spent a few minutes learning to cook.

:hides: I can make a 5lb bag of flour last a VERY long time. I mostly use it to dust pizza dough, to dredge chicken strips through, or...that's about it.

My cooking skills are fairly basic but slowly but surely I've been expanding. This past winter I managed to finally make beef stew that was really tasty. When I was a kid we had lots of prepared foods - beef stew for us was boiled ground beef & potatoes with cans of veggie soup added in. :giggles:

So you "say it" and everyone else "whines and complains" come on....

No one is begrudging what you have built. But you seem quick to say that others don't deserve what they've built (i.e. successful farms) and that still others should abandon what they've built (farmers going through hard times).
QUOTE]

"and that still others should abandon what they've built (farmers going through hard times).
QUOTE]

No never said that they should abandon what they have built. But they need to figure out something.
When this economy crashed 4 years ago we had just bought 2 brand new trailers for hauling construction equipment and 1 new industrial rollback for construction equipment. DH and I had returned on a sunday from Illinois getting a new 53 landoll trailer and the week before that had taken in a new drop deck trailer , along with 2 semis to pull these trailers. we got home Sunday, and Monday morning Fabco rents (who had for years were our biggest customer for equipment hauling, over 500 K a year told us that they would still use us when needed but they were buying thier own truck. Now we had dedicated 6 trucks to them on a daily basis and in a blink of an eye things changed. You don't know how many sleepless nights wondering where in the hell we were going to get the money to pay for these semis and trailers. And if this was a fatal mistake it would take our company under. By Monday afternoon I had already started a letter to send out to every impliment, construction, rental place I could find in this state. It took a while for these places to start calling but we found a way out of it and still own them today. That is what I was getting at not to abandon anything but find a way to make it work.

They have figured out something and it isn't getting a different profession as you suggested. They are real farmers. And real farmers know when the harvest is good you don't run out and blow your $ because the winds can shift at any time. So even though they may be in the hole $50K for the year, they are still hanging on.

In part because she also works outside the farm, they raise nearly everything they eat, barter for things, she's as frugal as they come and the only time the kids got "fancy" cereal is when Auntie IC2 sent care packages :lol: She's learned to coupon now and stockpiles so they are a happy little bunch now that fancy cereal is available more often!

They have what a lot of "young" people are missing today. Perseverance...they don't just pull up stakes and look for an "easy" way out. They are committed to the country life...that's how they were raised, and that's how they are raising their kids. And walking beans instead of playing video games all day never hurts a kid!

I have dealt with hundreds of people receiving food stamps or SNAP throughout my life. When it was called food stamps, the recepients received 'coupons' in dollar values to buy their food. It was considered embarassing to whip out the booklet and pay for your groceries. Now, everything is on an EBT card. People get all their benefits on that card. Since it looks like a credit card, and in most grocery stores here all you need to do is hit EBT on the pinpad, no one really knows that you receive food stamps.

There is more than one type of person receiving snap benefits. There are many many people who really do struggle and need those benefits in order to survive. I see them and I know they are trying thier best. Then there are the people who use their benefits to get all the 'good stuff'. Lobsters, good steaks, seafood and the like are put into their carts right after the first of the month. Usually they have better cars than I do and are wearing more jewlery than I own. Some of these people have 'boyfriends or girlfriends' who live with them and this is really free cash for food. There are also people who sell their food stamps for 20-75 cents on the dollar. I could go on and on and on but I won't.

There has been a solution to the problem in another country. I admit the country is smaller but this country has been able to make sure all the residents eat and they eat wholesome fresh food right from the farms. Here is a link to one of the articles I have my students read. I am all for feeding the hungry and spend many hours a week making sure those who are hungry get food. I think the US COULD enact some of these programs to allow the hungry to eat and if the US was able to enact something like this, the cost would be so much less.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/food-for-everyone/the-city-that-ended-hunger

From Wikepeida:
Food as a right

In 1993, under mayor Patrus Ananias de Souza, the city started a series of innovations based on its citizens having the "right to food". These include, for example, creating farmers' markets in the town to enable direct sales, and regularly surveying market prices and posting the results across the city.[29] The city's process of participatory budgeting was linked with these innovations, as a result of which the infant mortality rate was reduced by 50% in a decade.[30][31] There is also some evidence that these programs have helped support a higher quality of life for the local farmers partnering with the city, and that this may also be having positive effects on biodiversity in the Atlantic Rainforest around the city.[31][32] The city's development of these policies garnered the first "Future Policy Award" in 2009, awarded by the World Future Council, a group of 50 activists (including Frances Moore Lappé, Vandana Shiva, Wes Jackson, and Youssou N'Dour[33]) concerned with the development and recognition of policies to promote a just and sustainable future.

The city has also undertaken an internationally heralded project called Vila Viva ("Living Village" in Portuguese) that promises to "urbanize" the poorest areas (favelas), relocating families from areas with high risk of floods and landslides, but keeping them in the same neighborhood, paving main avenues to allow public transportation, police and postal service to have access to those areas. And all the work is done with 80% of locals, reducing unemployment and increasing family income.[34][35] Former mayor Fernando da Mata Pimentel was nominated for World Mayor in 2005 on the strength of these and other programs.[34]

Never in any of my posts did I directly point a finger at any 1 person. ?

So who is YOU that you are talking about in the post directly after my quoted post.

Yes if my drivers are willing to work they make **** good money. How many of you would be willing to work like that. You seam to see one side I have money yes not loaded but comfortable ask when I get up when I go to bed and the news I watched last night was recorded I watched at 1:00am. Dh got home at 1:30am. his day started at 5)am. What time did he get up this morning for the first call of the day 4:00am. Do we have employees yes can we abuse our drivers by calling them in at 4 and then have them work until 11 or 12 at night?? If anybody thinks that working here is easy you are dead wrong. Run outside if you live near the Mercedees dealer near Pulaski road in Chicago now and see for yourself he will be droppping off a mercedes 6oo. Then ask my driver when he expects to get to Saint Loius to pick up another mercedes 600 and then when he is going to get back here to get it to Karls so he can start the process of getting it ready to ship. Yup he found out late yesterday afternoon that this would be job for the next 2 days. So bring it. Or ask the driver that in a ice storm went to Kentucky with a trailer load of generators because the mill lost all power, or last year when we worked almost around the clock getting generators to northern Illinois because of the storms that went and took power out. Or the time I even went from Green Bay to Cedra Rapids to deliver a generator becuase of the floods?? There i s a price we pay. enough said.

You directed this whole rant towards me and how hard your life was, yet you don't whine. You asked me if I would do that type of work. I replied. If you had not quoted me, I would not have replied because then I would not have thought it was about me.

Again, your posts often ring of how white collar work is lower than blue collar work, and this one did too. Yes, it offendedme because it came across tome like you are saying I could not do that work and poor little you has to do this work. You brought up the hours you work towards me, I retorted with the hours I work and also that there is nothing in the plan for the course my life is going that would have me do the work you do, because I have chosen a different path. If you meant something different than what you directed towards me, just say that. But you did single me out with your reply, so I can not accept that you weren't then pointing your finger at me.

Separately, I was not even aware that you had no children, or that you wanted children and couldn't have them, as someone who experienced secondary infertility I sincerely meant no harm in mentioning children, just showing that my life is not easy despite my non blue collar work.

This is almost as bad as the whose a better mom the SAHM or the WOTHM debate.

Sitting in an air conditioned office doesn't mean a job is "cushy". Yes, I can have a drink at my desk. I can also spend 10 hours a day at my desk, go home and put in several more hours at my desk, and on the weekends. Most days I'm lucky if I can stop long enough to go pee or eat a sandwich uninterrupted. The brokers have no qualms about texting or emailing me morning, noon and night 7 days a week. Which is fine. I adore my job...but cushy it isn't in spite of the "fancy" (Goodwill) suit on my butt and the drink on my desk. :)

Our poor are rich compared to third world countries. Many poor families here in America live in some sort of housing, have an air conditioner, at least one tv, microwave, may even have at least one car. Some even have nikes, xbox's and iPhones. Compare this to third world poor---that would actually be middle class for them!

The white collar/blue collar arguing is demeaning to everyone. Both are hard, both are necessary, and neither one is more important to society as a whole than the other.

walking beans?

Basically you have to walk up and down each row of soybeans looking for weeds. Usually you have a hoe (younger kids) or a machete and you need to cut each weed without cutting the beans. You have to get basically every single weed or they will take over and kill your beans. It's not a fun job and it takes forever :giggles:

Our poor are rich compared to third world countries. Many poor families here in America live in some sort of housing, have an air conditioner, at least one tv, microwave, may even have at least one car. Some even have nikes, xbox's and iPhones. Compare this to third world poor---that would actually be middle class for them!
There are places here, in Appalachia, on some Native American reservations, that have truly dirt poor families who don't have AC, microwaves, even a solid roof over their heads. There are families in cities and small towns who are homeless.

Yes, there are places in other countries where situations are even worse. But it is a valuable question to raise, should the needy at home be ignored for suffering elsewhere?

Basically you have to walk up and down each row of soybeans looking for weeds. Usually you have a hoe (younger kids) or a machete and you need to cut each weed without cutting the beans. You have to get basically every single weed or they will take over and kill your beans. It's not a fun job and it takes forever :giggles:
Never knew there was a name for it. When we were kids, dad just told us kids to go out and weed the garden, before we could go play.

I have dealt with hundreds of people receiving food stamps or SNAP throughout my life. When it was called food stamps, the recepients received 'coupons' in dollar values to buy their food. It was considered embarassing to whip out the booklet and pay for your groceries. Now, everything is on an EBT card. People get all their benefits on that card. Since it looks like a credit card, and in most grocery stores here all you need to do is hit EBT on the pinpad, no one really knows that you receive food stamps.

There is more than one type of person receiving snap benefits. There are many many people who really do struggle and need those benefits in order to survive. I see them and I know they are trying thier best. Then there are the people who use their benefits to get all the 'good stuff'. Lobsters, good steaks, seafood and the like are put into their carts right after the first of the month. Usually they have better cars than I do and are wearing more jewlery than I own. Some of these people have 'boyfriends or girlfriends' who live with them and this is really free cash for food. There are also people who sell their food stamps for 20-75 cents on the dollar. I could go on and on and on but I won't.

There has been a solution to the problem in another country. I admit the country is smaller but this country has been able to make sure all the residents eat and they eat wholesome fresh food right from the farms. Here is a link to one of the articles I have my students read. I am all for feeding the hungry and spend many hours a week making sure those who are hungry get food. I think the US COULD enact some of these programs to allow the hungry to eat and if the US was able to enact something like this, the cost would be so much less.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/food-for-everyone/the-city-that-ended-hunger

From Wikepeida:
Food as a right

In 1993, under mayor Patrus Ananias de Souza, the city started a series of innovations based on its citizens having the "right to food". These include, for example, creating farmers' markets in the town to enable direct sales, and regularly surveying market prices and posting the results across the city.[29] The city's process of participatory budgeting was linked with these innovations, as a result of which the infant mortality rate was reduced by 50% in a decade.[30][31] There is also some evidence that these programs have helped support a higher quality of life for the local farmers partnering with the city, and that this may also be having positive effects on biodiversity in the Atlantic Rainforest around the city.[31][32] The city's development of these policies garnered the first "Future Policy Award" in 2009, awarded by the World Future Council, a group of 50 activists (including Frances Moore Lappé, Vandana Shiva, Wes Jackson, and Youssou N'Dour[33]) concerned with the development and recognition of policies to promote a just and sustainable future.

The city has also undertaken an internationally heralded project called Vila Viva ("Living Village" in Portuguese) that promises to "urbanize" the poorest areas (favelas), relocating families from areas with high risk of floods and landslides, but keeping them in the same neighborhood, paving main avenues to allow public transportation, police and postal service to have access to those areas. And all the work is done with 80% of locals, reducing unemployment and increasing family income.[34][35] Former mayor Fernando da Mata Pimentel was nominated for World Mayor in 2005 on the strength of these and other programs.[34]

Real social engineering may require cost for relocation/resettlement,

teaching someone to fish instead of give him a fish a day so to speak. Matching human and land resources in an organized manner is too bold for politicians who are seeking popularity votes! The way I see it, the social programs in the US are designed to be just a temporarily safety net, never intended to eradicate poverty.

Back