What's new

Gardening Tips, Advice, Successes...

Mine are started in the greenhouse as it has been too cold (just my opnion, if your plants are growing, great!!) to plant directly. Probably not until May 1st will I try it :) You could easily plant broccoli and peas now as they are a cooler weather loving veggie :)

Radishes do extremely well in the cooler weather (very hearty/frost resistant), and spinach is pretty good about it too. Our frost-free date isn't until May 20, but for the most part we're usually clear by ~May 1. On the nights that I know it's going to drop close to frost... I use old 2l bottles that have been cut off at the bottom to cover the peas and beans.

But yeah, I won't even think about putting in the peppers/tomatoes/etc until May 20. By putting the other stuff in early, the spinach, radishes, and leaf lettuce will all give me about 3 weeks harvest before they get replanted/replaced. But there definitely was a risk involved in regard to the temperature for planting as early as I did (Mar 20).

Radishes do extremely well in the cooler weather (very hearty/frost resistant), and spinach is pretty good about it too. Our frost-free date isn't until May 20, but for the most part we're usually clear by ~May 1. On the nights that I know it's going to drop close to frost... I use old 2l bottles that have been cut off at the bottom to cover the peas and beans.

But yeah, I won't even think about putting in the peppers/tomatoes/etc until May 20. By putting the other stuff in early, the spinach, radishes, and leaf lettuce will all give me about 3 weeks harvest before they get replanted/replaced. But there definitely was a risk involved in regard to the temperature for planting as early as I did (Mar 20).

I have six 2 liter bottles, soda still in them right now, but, never thought to use them for that. Thank you!!

Those beans are really pretty! My little Polish daddy will grow whatever we ask him to in his garden, but it's getting really hard with his arthritis......
he was up to about 30 basil plants year before last..... I was sooooooo tired of making pesto :surrender:

Wow what did you guys do with it all?

My mom grows them and they are huge. No so much at my house since they need a ton of sun. We wash the leaves, dry them with paper towels then let them dry. Once dry we just put them in plastic tubs so we have it for the winter months.

I have six 2 liter bottles, soda still in them right now, but, never thought to use them for that. Thank you!!

YVW! It's an easy, free way to reuse the bottles. And it lets me plant a few weeks earlier that way... although they really only get used like 3 times a year and I'm not sure I should keep them for just that :lol:

Well, then there's the "bucket 'o death"... VERY effective trick (not very cookiemom-ish, I admit) for getting rid of unwanted chipmunks... well, i'll post that if anyone wants :redface:

I would love to hear this. DH has been on an all out warfare with those little guys for years and quite honestly I think he's losing the battle. He's tried every trick up his sleeve so hopefully this is something new. Please share, it will make his day!

Wow what did you guys do with it all?

My mom grows them and they are huge. No so much at my house since they need a ton of sun. We wash the leaves, dry them with paper towels then let them dry. Once dry we just put them in plastic tubs so we have it for the winter months.

Pesto, pesto, pesto, fresh clipped on salad, Thai food, pesto, pesto, pesto, fresh clipped on salad, Thai food, pesto, pesto, pesto

:bliss: I ♥♥♥ basil! :bliss:

I would love to hear this. DH has been on an all out warfare with those little guys for years and quite honestly I think he's losing the battle. He's tried every trick up his sleeve so hopefully this is something new. Please share, it will make his day!

Has DH tried this??? I found this on the internet a few years ago when I got desperate..... it really really works! I only do it when I can't stand the little boogers eating up/digging up all my container plants :tap: Vegan DD is NOT happy with me about it..... :pout:

from this website.....
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf542341.tip.html

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with about 5-6 inches of water then pour in sunflower seeds so the water isn't visible. Place a strip of wood against the side to act as a ramp and place a few seeds on the ramp. As much as I hate killing living creatures, I had to do something quickly. The chipmunks were burrowing in my backyard, front yard, under my wall and near my foundation. They were also in my garage. (10/21/2007)
By Donna

There are a number of posts describing the use of a pail of water with sunflower seeds on top. I can attest that this method really does work. Chipmunks can not resist sunflower seeds. They cannot tell there is water underneath the mat of sunflower seeds. The biggest problem I have had is the raiding of the sunflower seeds by squirrels. When the 5 gal pail is about half full, or a bit more, spread enough sunflower seeds on top to cover the surface of the water. I locate the pail next to a step with the top of the pail at the same level of the step. You will likely have to dig a small hole for the pail to be at the level of the step. When chipmunks come by they jump right in generally without hesitation. I put the dead chipmunks in the woods where they disappear within 24 hours. I use a bent coat hanger to find the dead chipmunks at the bottom of the pail. Again, believe me it really does work and you will be able eliminate a whole neighborhood of chipmunks over a summer. (05/31/2008)
By Joe

The bucket method works great. I have been over run with chipmunks this past year and they are destroying my yard. I caught 10 or 11 chippies within 30 hours. I was amazed the first time I checked the bucket - I just kept scooping them out of the water. One would think these were lemmings! I even caught one field mouse....

Pesto, pesto, pesto, fresh clipped on salad, Thai food, pesto, pesto, pesto, fresh clipped on salad, Thai food, pesto, pesto, pesto

:bliss: I ♥♥♥ basil! :bliss:

Has DH tried this??? I found this on the internet a few years ago when I got desperate..... it really really works! I only do it when I can't stand the little boogers eating up/digging up all my container plants :tap: Vegan DD is NOT happy with me about it..... :pout:

He hasn't tried it as far as I know. I swear there must be a 5 star chipmunk hotel under our stoops though! This will make him happy. Thanks for the info.

Thanks - we have more chipmunk holes around our house this year than ever before. DH is always looking for a new approach!

Rototiller is dead.... blisters on my hands.

But there is nothing like the smell of good black dirt in the spring! Too wet to plant but we're gonna get the chicken wire fence up around it later today.

How is everyone else's doing?

I've only bought a rosemary plant so far, but very excited about all the plants showing up at Jewel and beyond. I have plenty of cats to use up! :bliss:

Really looking forward to going to Ted's Greenhouse in Tinley Park.... LOVE THAT PLACE! :party6: Huge selection of hard to find plants....
i get several different basil plants, lemongrass, and scented geraniums there and sooooo many other things.... it's so hard to control myself :gah:

Tired of picking dandelions :37:

Haven't needed to get the chipmunk pool out yet ...

I am in zone 7 now, so we can plant earlier here than I could back home. I am doing the straw bale method this year, I figured it would be easier, faster and cheaper than enriching the small rain garden in the backyard with good soil, compost and peat. I got my bales a few weeks ago, I watered and conditioned them for a week and a half. I planted them out last week with some berries, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes and green beans. I'm going with the easy peasy method, I strung out a soaker hose along my plant rows to water so I don't even need to hang out there to do it. Woo hoo!

Rainbarrel is full from this weekend rain, garden fenced in and ready for plants.

Now to figure out what to plant.

boy! you guys are good!! I haven't even tilled mine yet. So how do you make pesto?? I want to plant some herbs this year, I have yet to do that. My corn last year also had the worms, ewwww! I am amazed at the potato in the garbage can, how cool. I will try that thanks

Since I took the chance and got an early jump on planting, I've pulled in ~20 radishes thus far and enough spinach for a couple good salads. The leaf lettuce and romaine should be able to start taking trimmings next week, and the peas are a little over 3 inches high. I'll pull the rest of the radishes next week and get tomatoes (transplants) and cuc's (seed) going around the 20th.

Very happy with things thus far.

I've started "hardening off" the tomato and pepper plants. They have been in the greenhouse for about 4 weeks and during the night the door and vent has been closed. I am now leaving it open so they get stronger and larger. If anyone is near the Lewis Fresh Market on Grand in Waukegan, they have gorgeous Romemary plants. They are at least 12 inches tall by 8 inches wide. They are so healthy looking and only $2.50. You do not need a garden to grow this either, throw it into a planter with other seasonings like basil, chives ect... so easy!!

Eliciafay, nice to see someone else used the strawbale method. I posted a link a few weeks ago about one. While I haven't tried it, it looked easy enough for someone with limited space to produce plenty of great veggies! Let me know how that works out for you please!

I've started "hardening off" the tomato and pepper plants. They have been in the greenhouse for about 4 weeks and during the night the door and vent has been closed. I am now leaving it open so they get stronger and larger. If anyone is near the Lewis Fresh Market on Grand in Waukegan, they have gorgeous Romemary plants. They are at least 12 inches tall by 8 inches wide. They are so healthy looking and only $2.50. You do not need a garden to grow this either, throw it into a planter with other seasonings like basil, chives ect... so easy!!

Eliciafay, nice to see someone else used the strawbale method. I posted a link a few weeks ago about one. While I haven't tried it, it looked easy enough for someone with limited space to produce plenty of great veggies! Let me know how that works out for you please!

Thanks for the tip, I will have to go there tomorrow. With the herbs do you just dry them and toss them into a ziplock bag? What is the harvest time generally for these? can you tell I am new to herbs :lol:

boy! you guys are good!! I haven't even tilled mine yet. So how do you make pesto?? I want to plant some herbs this year, I have yet to do that. My corn last year also had the worms, ewwww! I am amazed at the potato in the garbage can, how cool. I will try that thanks

Start by growing LOTS of basil :lol: regular genovese basil is good

At harvest time, when the leaves are big, blenderize the washed leaves with olive oil, salt, pepper, pine nuts (or pine nut/walnut mix), garlic and parmesan cheese..... I have a great recipe i've been using for years.... can post later if someone is interested. I am forbidden to use parmesan cheese in our pesto... DH is violently opposed to it
rollingetes.gif
so i just add mine later :bliss:

Thanks for the tip, I will have to go there tomorrow. With the herbs do you just dry them and toss them into a ziplock bag? What is the harvest time generally for these? can you tell I am new to herbs :lol:

Once you taste fresh herbs, it's really hard to go back to dried..... fresh herbs add a unique taste to food..... fresh basil leaves, tarragon, chives, etc. for salads.... fresh lemon thyme for lemon bread, fresh cilantro for salsas, fresh rosemary and sage for meats marinades or grilled garlic, fresh mint for drinks, fresh oregano, basil and parsley for homemade tomato sauce.... :drool: the possibilities are endless.

Harvest time is mostly anytime, since you're mainly using the leaves of the plant...... I've been growing lots of herbs for a long time... what kinds are you interested in :)

Ohhhhhhhh and edible flowers ..... Everyone loves the green salads i make in the summer.... several different lettuces with violas, pansies, lemon gem marigolds and others ..... beautiful and tasty too. :bliss:

If you have a nice sunny window, you could grow (basil I know) some herbs indoors all winter long. Meaning instead of having to dry it.

Ohhhhhhhh and edible flowers ..... Everyone loves the green salads i make in the summer.... several different lettuces with violas, pansies, lemon gem marigolds and others ..... beautiful and tasty too. :bliss:

I ate my first flower about 2 years ago. I felt so adventurous! LOL! It was really yummy, had a slightly spicy kick to it. I wish I remembered what kind it was.

Start by growing LOTS of basil :lol: regular genovese basil is good

At harvest time, when the leaves are big, blenderize the washed leaves with olive oil, salt, pepper, pine nuts (or pine nut/walnut mix), garlic and parmesan cheese..... I have a great recipe i've been using for years.... can post later if someone is interested. I am forbidden to use parmesan cheese in our pesto... DH is violently opposed to it
rollingetes.gif
so i just add mine later :bliss:

Wow! you sound like a pro!! I am interested in growing all of the above. Please tell me your recipe, I am interested! I am going to go tomorrow and get my plants, I sure would like all your tips and recipes if you don't mind? I do a lot of canning also and I am always looking for a shortcut. However, I did find out how to make pickles quite fast, they are called sunshine pickles, very easy to do.

Once you taste fresh herbs, it's really hard to go back to dried..... fresh herbs add a unique taste to food..... fresh basil leaves, tarragon, chives, etc. for salads.... fresh lemon thyme for lemon bread, fresh cilantro for salsas, fresh rosemary and sage for meats marinades or grilled garlic, fresh mint for drinks, fresh oregano, basil and parsley for homemade tomato sauce.... :drool: the possibilities are endless.

Harvest time is mostly anytime, since you're mainly using the leaves of the plant...... I've been growing lots of herbs for a long time... what kinds are you interested in :)

Wow! you sound like a pro!! I am interested in growing all of the above. Please tell me your recipe, I am interested! I am going to go tomorrow and get my plants, I sure would like all your tips and recipes if you don't mind? I do a lot of canning also and I am always looking for a shortcut. However, I did find out how to make pickles quite fast, they are called sunshine pickles, very easy to do, I used to crock them.. but not anymore :lol:. I really want to know about the edible flowers. thanks for sharing

Back