What's new

Gardening Tips, Advice, Successes...

A tomato AND four zucchini?? That must be one GINORMOUS planter!!!!!!! Corn probably isn't wisest choice for a small backyard, it sucks too much out of the soil and is likely not to produce any edible ears. Although .... if you have at least a 3'x3' space, a three sisters planting might be fun for a child and it will help build the soil instead of depleting it. I don't remember how old Lex is - will he be disappointed if his corn doesn't produce? For the three sisters - make sure you get pole beans instead of bush & I wouldn't use pumpkin for the squash - it will take over the entire yard.

Hmm, I was thinking of using a planter like this:
766063015459sm.jpg

and letting the zucchini be on the cement patio. It has been a long time since I've grown zucchini so maybe I should try and plant them just in front of the juniper and have them run along the edge of the lawn. I have a little 2'X2' space and Lex isn't even two, so I doubt he'll care whether or not anything comes from the corn, but now that you mention the soil I'll plant two of the zucchini with the corn and bean (I hope I got a pole bean - if not back to the store I go!).

Sun Gold, Ildi, or Sweet 100 are great cherry toms that produce like crazy and will happily grown up a cage attached to a very large pot. With daily watering & regular feeding, you can grow 4-6 tomato plants in a 20 gallon pot. Cherry toms have the advantage that kids can pick the fruit green and there will still be tons more left on the plant to ripen.

You might want to try strawberries in a large planter.

Pole beans will grow up and around individual poles [3-4 seed per pole] or a pole teepee. They grow quickly and spectacularly. Just stay away from the Hyacynth bean, its pretty but poisonous. Kentucky Blue, Kentucky Wonder, or Romano pole are readily available and heavy producers [more for kids to repeatedly pick].

Thanks - I'll be buying the planter tonight so it is good to have an idea of the size. I was thinking about fruit, but I've never had luck with strawberries, but maybe now's the time to try it again.

For anyone with limited space that is looking at planters, one way to go would be square foot gardening. It really opens up the potential for multiple types of plants and is easy to maintain and can be done using very little space. The normal suggested size is 4' x 4', but I've seen them in all kinds of sizes (1'x1', 1'x2', etc) and shapes (think 'L' and 'T' formations)

I have tried planting pumkins several times and never really any decent size to them, but the vines DO spread and take over a large area.
If you want larger pumpkins, besides planting a variety that isn't a baby one is to not let more than 2 fruit grow per vine [1 is even better]. Pinch off any additional fruit that develop, as they take too much energy from the plant. Pumpkins are heavy feeders too, make sure the soil is nutrient rich.

I live close to a guy that won the world record for pumpkin growing a few years ago. [Letterman has lso purchased & dropped his giant pumpkins]. I'm practically obsessed about spying on his garden through the year. :lol:

Hmm, I was thinking of using a planter like this:
766063015459sm.jpg

and letting the zucchini be on the cement patio. It has been a long time since I've grown zucchini so maybe I should try and plant them just in front of the juniper and have them run along the edge of the lawn. I have a little 2'X2' space and Lex isn't even two, so I doubt he'll care whether or not anything comes from the corn, but now that you mention the soil I'll plant two of the zucchini with the corn and bean (I hope I got a pole bean - if not back to the store I go!).

Thanks - I'll be buying the planter tonight so it is good to have an idea of the size. I was thinking about fruit, but I've never had luck with strawberries, but maybe now's the time to try it again.
You can grow baby corn, like the type used in asian food.

2x2 is very small for corn, just plant in a square or other condensed shape, not a single row. With so few plants, you'll need to gently shake the corn stalks to help pollinate them.

If you want larger pumpkins, besides planting a variety that isn't a baby one is to not let more than 2 fruit grow per vine [1 is even better]. Pinch off any additional fruit that develop, as they take too much energy from the plant. Pumpkins are heavy feeders too, make sure the soil is nutrient rich.

I live close to a guy that won the world record for pumpkin growing a few years ago. [Letterman has lso purchased & dropped his giant pumpkins]. I'm practically obsessed about spying on his garden through the year. :lol:

I would be spying too :lol:. I buy the seeds for the giant pumpkins, can't remember the brand, but it seems like I get a lot of flowers but maybe 3-4 pumpkins and not very big ones at all. The area where I planted them we put in new soil so that shouldn't be the problem. I don't have a green thumb at all and let me tell you I don't even have a houseplant :lol: but I really love gardening, I guess I am that person who has to work extra hard at it.

Sprintc22,

Not sure where you are located, but if you are near Gurnee check out the lowes. They clearance (of course nothing yet, but soon) out plants like crazy and for so cheap. Whether they are annuals or perennials, they are great for clearance. regular sales ehhh not so much. Definitely reccommend the clearance stuff. Last year, I picked up roses for 2.00 a bucket. they weren't "perfect" but they sure weren't on deaths door either. I bought blueberry and grape plants for 1.50 a bucket. My best find was 5 hydrangea plants for 1.00 each. They were in the 3 gallon bucket. Again, not perfect but they perked right up. this year they are coming in beautifully. The "perfect ones were being sold for 18.00/bucket EACH!

I would be spying too :lol:. I buy the seeds for the giant pumpkins, can't remember the brand, but it seems like I get a lot of flowers but maybe 3-4 pumpkins and not very big ones at all. The area where I planted them we put in new soil so that shouldn't be the problem. I don't have a green thumb at all and let me tell you I don't even have a houseplant :lol: but I really love gardening, I guess I am that person who has to work extra hard at it.
If you want a large pumpkin, definitely only leave one fruit per vine. Don't crowd in too many plants and amend the hell out of your soil.

Pumpkin guy works in 2 truckloads of manure every fall, then grows a green cover crop before the hard freeze. He tills it all in early spring. He starts 5 or 6 plants in the late spring, then thin it down to his 2 strongest plants, each with only 1 fruit. They are babied in the heat of summer, growing under a shade cover. His garden is the size of a small house and he grows nothing but those [eventual] 2 pumpkin plants.

I have looked for the rain barrel's and they are not cheap, maybe I should just buy a garbage can and put a shut off valve on it :lol:

Orland Park is very "green"..... they started selling rain barrels last year or two....... maybe check around your local townships and such. :)

I have looked for the rain barrel's and they are not cheap, maybe I should just buy a garbage can and put a shut off valve on it :lol:

If you've got some sort of community center you can call and ask if they put on workshops. A lot of cities will do them to be able to receycle the containers - all you pay for typically is a handling fee and the hardware (and ofc you do the labor of building it in the workshop)

Sprintc22,

Not sure where you are located, but if you are near Gurnee check out the lowes. They clearance (of course nothing yet, but soon) out plants like crazy and for so cheap. Whether they are annuals or perennials, they are great for clearance. regular sales ehhh not so much. Definitely reccommend the clearance stuff. Last year, I picked up roses for 2.00 a bucket. they weren't "perfect" but they sure weren't on deaths door either. I bought blueberry and grape plants for 1.50 a bucket. My best find was 5 hydrangea plants for 1.00 each. They were in the 3 gallon bucket. Again, not perfect but they perked right up. this year they are coming in beautifully. The "perfect ones were being sold for 18.00/bucket EACH!

I am located in Wadsworth, so not far at all. Thanks I will definetly do that

Good luck!

I missed the cut-off date for our township so I will check for a community center workshop. thanks

Back