GEM Series appears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkpowrjd said:
http://pophitsmonthly.com/shop/category.php?cat=5

Options available after each listing:

CD+G
MP3+G (laptops, computers, etc )
CAVS Super CDG (*also works as a JB199/99 Update)

Go look at it. They don't post their position on the license (nor do they have any separate page just for the DDs since it's kind of a cheaply made site that doesn't have a whole lot of things on it other than a way to order their stuff), but your question is if they even OFFER such an option, which I've just proven that they do.

As for CB: http://www.chartbusterkaraoke.com/staticcontent/understanding.aspx

Go to "Legal Questions" and look under "
# Can I back up my Chartbuster Karaoke discs?
# Can I move my Chartbuster Karaoke tracks between storage devices?"

Look what they bring up as an exception to the rule. Apparently they have their position on things right there.

Though those answers shows that CB has a long way to go to actually understanding the digital age, they still have more of an understanding than SC does...and they still prove that they DO allow you to use the DDs as licensed products to use (as long as it's on the drive of which it was purchased for, which shouldn't really be a problem in this discussion, right?). The link you showed me is their "snitch" thing which is NOT what we're talking about.

OK now I believe we are reaching another level, I guess I was giving you more credit than I should have been!

POP HITS MONTHLY does not offer downloads Their site clearly states that the only method of sale at this time is via CD! Other methods ie: USB drive and media cards are coming out in the future, but they DO NOT offer downloads and apparently aren't considering it!

Exactly what have you proved other than everyone has already said making copies and using them for shows is illegal!

What have you proved other than all of the Major U.S. Karaoke manus are saying the same thing and taking the same position on those who make and use multiple copies or do not own the medium upon which their product was purchased, they are coming after you and will seek restitution!:sqbiggrin:

And again, I ask you to prove your take on the fair use act quote me the chapter in the copy right laws that give you permission to make and use multiple copies!!

Digital 1 to 1 is illegal even if the source allows it. Thats of course in a public event.

Thunder said:
OK now I believe we are reaching another level, I guess I was giving you more credit than I should have been!

POP HITS MONTHLY does not offer downloads Their site clearly states that the only method of sale at this time is via CD! Other methods ie: USB drive and media cards are coming out in the future, but they DO NOT offer downloads and apparently aren't considering it!

Okay, now you're just being silly (either that or you're trying to see how far I'll go before I get an infraction in order to filibuster this debate), because the link I gave you IS the PHM site, and their site CLEARLY DOES have the MP3+G as an option. Did you not see it there? Click on the option, and then "Add to cart".

What you're doing, now that I've looked clearly enough, is spinning what is actually being offered. You've mentioned what types of physical media they offer their stuff on. That doesn't mean that the MP3+G format is not available on the site (in fact, I gave you the link to the product listing that you've completely ignored where it actually LISTS MP3+G as an option, which IS the computer format). However, them sending you a USB Drive or something similar with the files on it would be very interesting to see them do (very innovative, too. Never seen ANY one try that). They've also said that they would offer other genres of music, too, but that remains to be seen.

Exactly what have you proved other than everyone has already said making copies and using them for shows is illegal!

Which is not what you asked me of. You asked me where do these manus offer DDs to begin with and allow them to be used (which is TWO questions). I answered both of them, and now you tell me that you've asked me of something completely different. I've provided you with the evidence, and instead of you admitting that they DO, you go and find something on the same site I took you to (but on the splash page), took it completely out of context and spun what it meant, showed it to me as your proof to the contrary, completely ignored anything else I showed you (or what I linked to that showed that whatever you tried to use to discredit me was misinterpreted and/or spun), and then changed the question that you asked me that you tried to discredit my answer to anyway. Wow! Just wow!

What have you proved other than all of the Major U.S. Karaoke manus are saying the same thing and taking the same position on those who make and use multiple copies or do not own the medium upon which their product was purchased, they are coming after you and will seek restitution!

Which, if you actually READ the CB page, is NOT what they said at all (which proves to me that you only read what supported YOUR position). I told you, and SHOWED you, what they said in full context. Please go back and read that, since I'm not about to keep going on this circle jerk trying to convince someone who is making up what people actually said in order to prove someone else wrong.

And I think you're also trying to hijack this whole debate. There are two parts to this whole thing: the "is it or isn't it piracy", and "what do we do about it". However, you seem to never want to answer the other question with anything other than "sue sue sue", and you never seem to look at a HD-based show with anything other than "IT'S PIRACY! BOO!" And you never seem to let anyone else TAKE a different position without you stepping in and declare how against using a HD you are. Obviously, you haven't been hurting either way on your shows. You say you did before the hits, but you were asked to show the proof that a change happened from it, and you didn't (or maybe it was in that thread that was closed before anything could be produced). Granted, the HD boom is something that some of these manus have to man-up to because they don't really understand it (I've admitted that CB is on the right track, but they have to loosen their belts about the whole backup thing, but SC is acting like the villains in the whole storyline here).

So, let me ask a question to you: What if, tomorrow, SC comes out and announces that they will be offering a per song-based download project that will revolutionize the karaoke genre and change the way you think about karaoke, that is completely DD, completely legal, a la to what I mentioned before about Steam? What if they also say that they are completely abandoning the 1:1 model, say that they are no longer going to pursue pirates through audit because they think the new program will be their formal answer to the epidemic, or even that they will stop making CD+Gs altogether and go completely MP3+G (or whatever format they would call it)? Would you support them then?

How about CB? What if they become less strict about what you can do with their DDs? What if tomorrow THEY announce something like that (or say they are joining SC in the above scenario), and/or that they will allow you to authorize some other HD's for public use (as long as it was legally bought somewhere and you can prove that your HD wasn't pre-loaded or something)? What if tomorrow they end their "we want you to be a snitch" program? Would you be supporting them?

How about Stellar/PHM/WHATEVER you call them tomorrow changes their site to promote MP3+G as THE standard format for their products, and that they will only make the discs as the backups? What would happen if THEY were the ones that say "hey, we're going to encourage the HD age, and we challenge the other manus to join us in the revolution"? What would your reaction be?

What if tomorrow Sunfly decides to wipe the floor with ALL of them and say that they support the HD way fully?

What if, tomorrow, some prominent person in the music industry, or someone that really supports karaoke (like Harmonix, the makers of Rock Band) sees all of this and just literally SLAMS the manus for being so uptight about this? What if, tomorrow, someone pulls a Steve Jobs and demands that the manus release their stranglehold on this matter?

I wonder how you would react.

darkpowrjd said:
Okay, now you're just being silly (either that or you're trying to see how far I'll go before I get an infraction in order to filibuster this debate), because the link I gave you IS the PHM site, and their site CLEARLY DOES have the MP3+G as an option. Did you not see it there? Click on the option, and then "Add to cart".

What you're doing, now that I've looked clearly enough, is spinning what is actually being offered. You've mentioned what types of physical media they offer their stuff on. That doesn't mean that the MP3+G format is not available on the site (in fact, I gave you the link to the product listing that you've completely ignored where it actually LISTS MP3+G as an option, which IS the computer format). However, them sending you a USB Drive or something similar with the files on it would be very interesting to see them do (very innovative, too. Never seen ANY one try that). They've also said that they would offer other genres of music, too, but that remains to be seen.

Which is not what you asked me of. You asked me where do these manus offer DDs to begin with and allow them to be used (which is TWO questions). I answered both of them, and now you tell me that you've asked me of something completely different. I've provided you with the evidence, and instead of you admitting that they DO, you go and find something on the same site I took you to (but on the splash page), took it completely out of context and spun what it meant, showed it to me as your proof to the contrary, completely ignored anything else I showed you (or what I linked to that showed that whatever you tried to use to discredit me was misinterpreted and/or spun), and then changed the question that you asked me that you tried to discredit my answer to anyway. Wow! Just wow!

Which, if you actually READ the CB page, is NOT what they said at all (which proves to me that you only read what supported YOUR position). I told you, and SHOWED you, what they said in full context. Please go back and read that, since I'm not about to keep going on this circle jerk trying to convince someone who is making up what people actually said in order to prove someone else wrong.

And I think you're also trying to hijack this whole debate. There are two parts to this whole thing: the "is it or isn't it piracy", and "what do we do about it". However, you seem to never want to answer the other question with anything other than "sue sue sue", and you never seem to look at a HD-based show with anything other than "IT'S PIRACY! BOO!" And you never seem to let anyone else TAKE a different position without you stepping in and declare how against using a HD you are. Obviously, you haven't been hurting either way on your shows. You say you did before the hits, but you were asked to show the proof that a change happened from it, and you didn't (or maybe it was in that thread that was closed before anything could be produced). Granted, the HD boom is something that some of these manus have to man-up to because they don't really understand it (I've admitted that CB is on the right track, but they have to loosen their belts about the whole backup thing, but SC is acting like the villains in the whole storyline here).

So, let me ask a question to you: What if, tomorrow, SC comes out and announces that they will be offering a per song-based download project that will revolutionize the karaoke genre and change the way you think about karaoke, that is completely DD, completely legal, a la to what I mentioned before about Steam? What if they also say that they are completely abandoning the 1:1 model, say that they are no longer going to pursue pirates through audit because they think the new program will be their formal answer to the epidemic, or even that they will stop making CD+Gs altogether and go completely MP3+G (or whatever format they would call it)? Would you support them then?

How about CB? What if they become less strict about what you can do with their DDs? What if tomorrow THEY announce something like that (or say they are joining SC in the above scenario), and/or that they will allow you to authorize some other HD's for public use (as long as it was legally bought somewhere and you can prove that your HD wasn't pre-loaded or something)? What if tomorrow they end their "we want you to be a snitch" program? Would you be supporting them?

How about Stellar/PHM/WHATEVER you call them tomorrow changes their site to promote MP3+G as THE standard format for their products, and that they will only make the discs as the backups? What would happen if THEY were the ones that say "hey, we're going to encourage the HD age, and we challenge the other manus to join us in the revolution"? What would your reaction be?

What if tomorrow Sunfly decides to wipe the floor with ALL of them and say that they support the HD way fully?

What if, tomorrow, some prominent person in the music industry, or someone that really supports karaoke (like Harmonix, the makers of Rock Band) sees all of this and just literally SLAMS the manus for being so uptight about this? What if, tomorrow, someone pulls a Steve Jobs and demands that the manus release their stranglehold on this matter?

I wonder how you would react.
No Thunder's pointing out that while they offer MP3+G's They aren't offering downloads so Downloads of Pop Hits Monthly are still illegal however you came by them. If you would read his post I am certain you would have grasped that. At least that's what I got from it. It's the format that is important here not that they are offering MP3+G as an option. I get it, why oh why can't you.
Andf Just so you know I have read your post: Both Sunfly and Pop Hits Monthly have embraced the digital age in their own way, Sunfly with Downloads and Pop HIts with their MP3+G discs.

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

. . . not gettin' sucked into this black hole.

Moonrider said:
nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

. . . not gettin' sucked into this black hole.

C'mon..... jump in! The water's a "little warm".... but I'm sure you can handle it...

Besides, this whole argument about downloads is really nothing more than an argument about a "method of delivery." Not playback. It isn't streaming karaoke and what's really the difference whether you're mp3+g track is delivered to you via a download or simply mailed to you on a disc?

Dark,

Sure are a lot of what if's there!

What if Sound Choice sues someone and they decide to fight it out in court instead of run or settle! What if they loose and have a $400,000 judgement put against them and the judge orders the U.S. Marshalls to take all of their computers, sound gear etc. and destroy it! What if in Oct. Stellar and Chartbuster start filing suits as well! What if they continue to expand their operations until they have pretty much covered the U.S.!

And what if Sunfly made more karaoke songs that actually sounded something like the origional song!

darkpowrjd said:
Hmm, you mention that I missed things that were posted publicly, but when you went into detail, you instead tell me that you got links and PMs and whatever that I have to ask you for.

So Karaoke is not a form of musical entertainment? And is my point that Zoom's Karaoke products are available through iTunes is completely missed.

By the way, the PHM site never brings this up, but on the CB site (which I would assume that, if someone would have a question about this that the sites would be readily available and easily accessible), it says: "Karaoke shows that use tracks stored to a hard disk drive are doing so in violation of the Chartbuster Karaoke license printed on the original disc. Unless the tracks were purchased as digital downloads and are being played from the original disk onto which they were downloaded, the operator is in violation of the license. "

Though the context does make it into another case of a thing that the laws doesn't permit them to actually do, note the bold text. This implies that they DO allow DD tracks to be used, which is the entire argument here. In fact, all of their legal questions that deal with such a thing on their site brings their DD stuff up as the exception. Though I think they should make a program to allow you to authorize other systems to use the DD tracks (there is still a LOT of progress to be done with this issue), this shows that you are dead wrong about CB.

You underestimate me.:sqbiggrin:

darkpowrjd said:
Hmm, you mention that I missed things that were posted publicly, but when you went into detail, you instead tell me that you got links and PMs and whatever that I have to ask you for.

So Karaoke is not a form of musical entertainment? And is my point that Zoom's Karaoke products are available through iTunes is completely missed.

By the way, the PHM site never brings this up, but on the CB site (which I would assume that, if someone would have a question about this that the sites would be readily available and easily accessible), it says: "Karaoke shows that use tracks stored to a hard disk drive are doing so in violation of the Chartbuster Karaoke license printed on the original disc. Unless the tracks were purchased as digital downloads and are being played from the original disk onto which they were downloaded, the operator is in violation of the license. "

Though the context does make it into another case of a thing that the laws doesn't permit them to actually do, note the bold text. This implies that they DO allow DD tracks to be used, which is the entire argument here. In fact, all of their legal questions that deal with such a thing on their site brings their DD stuff up as the exception. Though I think they should make a program to allow you to authorize other systems to use the DD tracks (there is still a LOT of progress to be done with this issue), this shows that you are dead wrong about CB.

You underestimate me.:sqbiggrin:

To the best of my knowledge we aren't supposed to post links to other boards, since It could be considered advertising. However I have just re-read the post I was referring to, and you are correct they do authorize use in a show, but they still can't gauruntee that the rights holder won't come after you. I will bold the relevant sections

"Chartbuster Karaoke @ Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:03 pm wrote:
Apologies for taking so long to reply - and thanks to leopard lizard for starting the thread as requested.

From our website: "You are allowed to make a single copy of your Chartbuster Karaoke discs for archive purposes only. Please note that this does not entitle you to use those backed-up tracks for any other purpose than as a back-up, including playing, sharing, distribution or performance.

"Karaoke shows that use tracks stored to a hard disk drive are doing so in violation of the Chartbuster Karaoke license printed on the original disc. Unless the tracks were purchased as digital downloads and are being played from the original disk onto which they were downloaded, the operator is in violation of the license."

You will note that for the purposes of a track that is ripped from a disc, only the disc is authorized for use in a Karaoke Show setting, and not the ripped track.

When you purchase a digital download from our online store, you are given a receipt from that transaction. It is the only record you will have that you legally obtained the track, since no physical disc accompanies the purchase.

If you have a digital download, have your receipts, and are performing a karaoke show, as long as your other licenses are in order, you are authorized to use a Chartbuster Karaoke track purchased in this fashion in your show. This does not confer any other license to you - you must still conform to applicable copyright and performance rights laws, along with any other restriction(s) that may apply. It only expressly means that the use of the Chartbuster Karaoke rendition is authorized by Chartbuster Karaoke, and no other licenses, explicit or implicit, are conferred.

In addition, you should note that in cases of this nature, the courts have yet to determine what distinguishes a back-up copy from an original. Bear in mind that there is no distinguishing feature that can tell any two digital copies apart, other than the media on which they reside. In order to hew as closely as possible to what we believe to be the letter and the spirit of the law, we believe that it is important that the purchaser only download tracks directly to the hard disk drive from which it will be drawn during performance. We don't know how this will eventually shake out in the courts, but until a precedent has been set, this is what we recommend. It may or may not save your entrepreneurial backside later down the road, but it might provide some protection.

Does this mean that the publishers won't come after you for using a digital download in a show? Well, we don't know, and I don't think anyone else does at this point either. They might decide they have bigger fish to fry, even if they think you are infringing. Or they might smell money and land on you with both feet. It's anybody's guess.

Please also note that we make karaoke, not law. We do our best to give you the viewpoint and perspective from where we are sitting. Do not construe any of this to be legal advice - when in doubt, ask your lawyer.

Is this unambiguous enough for the forum?"

Also I have two problems with their downloads.

1. 80-90% of their catalog is currently unavailable as downloads inlcuding ALL of their monthly releases, which in my opinion would be the main point in wanting digital downloads.

2. Their downloads are only available at 128Kbps and sound like CRAP, in my opinion.

Still I was wrong about chartbuster, so I apologize in that regard.

Also you are correct that I forgot to address your comment on Zoom for which I also apologize. If Itunes is selling ZOOM tracks, my next question would be, have you bought any? If I were a betting person, I would bet that none of them contain the GRAPHIC portion and are music only.

To answer your question directly NO in the eyes of the law, karaoke is NOT a form of musical entertainment. It is viewed the exact same as any TV show or Movie. And no matter how much you ignore or gloss over the fact the LAWS for Audio Visual Works and Musical works are different in North America.

-James

P.S. I have just read over your post about the Pop Hits monthly site and I finally understand your confusion. Yes, they are selling their music in the mp3+g format but ONLY on CD ROM discs. Stellar does NOT offer their mp3+G tracks as DOWNLOADS.

The only difference between what Soundchoice will be doing and Stellar is that Stellar's tracks are sold as 192Kbits and Soundchoice's tracks will be 320

Sound Choice said:
Let's cut to the BASICS here, as many of you are dancing and arguing about the wrong premise. The real "issue" is not whether or not you have media or format shifted content from CDGs which you have legally PURCHASED. The crux of the matter is that many of those who have songs on their hard drive systems by Sound Choice and many other brands never had any legally purchased versions whatsoever. And those who have created a copy (whether you call the original a back up, archive, or whatever) make their "copy" illegal the minute they dispose of their original.

Another wishful line of bulls__t. The entire point of a backup is to replace a "disposed" original and I'll take the Fedreal Court's opinion over your lawyer's flapping lips any day of the week.

And all of you "copyright and trademark experts" who can't find "whatever" in the copyright and trademark laws to support what YOU WISH TO BE, forget that all rights, unless specifically granted by the rights holder or the Copyright and Trademark laws, are reserved to the Rights Holder. So the law does not have to define every little thing - by default, if it is NOT defined, IT IS NOT ALLOWED until it is defined or an individual rights holder grants a right for their property. So, one publisher might say "yes" and another "no" for a particular use. But that is their prerogative, as frustrating as it might be for the consumer.

No, you're trying to make a pretzel out of two very different sides of the law.

Any use in commerce not defined is only presumed to be concurrently reserved.

Simultaneously, any right reasonably presumed to be coincident with the full use and enjoyment of a product purchased; remains with the purchaser unless and until it is assigned or unassigned by CONTRACT.

You now have a "new" license agreement (contract) applied to what is essentially a re-run product, and you are using law-suits to try to retroactively apply that license to past customers and condition previous sales.

That does nothing to cure the saturation of your bootlegged product in the marketplace - it is out there and will be for the foreseeable future.
Your lawsuits simply threaten the sensibilities and welfare of legitimate KJs and loyal customers everywhere.

Jon Tuck said:
Digital 1 to 1 is illegal even if the source allows it. Thats of course in a public event.

Why, and on what grounds? There is no inherent question of the legality of this practice on copyright grounds alone as long as all other stipulations are met... ie possession/ownership of original source is maintained etc.

Only grounds I can think of where performance from a copy is illegal would be non-copyright-related grounds surrounding mechanical or format-shifting issues.

Is that what you're talking about?

Dang Bob - If I knew where to get one of those little clapping smiley's for you I would... :)

Instead I'll just have to pass you a virtual high-five and a cigar!:sqlaugh:

jc, I understand where you're coming from, and I do commend you for not getting hysterical about things unlike some people here.

I'm not debating whether or not the whole download issue is legal or not (that deserves its OWN seperate debate, as such has been going on since we discovered Napster ten years ago). The debate is also upon what should be done about it, and THAT'S where most of the entire disagreement and being disagreeABLE comes from: the inability to have an opened mind about what to do about it.

The problem with "sue sue sue" is that you only make enemies out of your paying customers because you never know what evidence they want to see or what you need to show them to get them to go the hell away. They might want to see just one disc out of your collection, while they might want to take a fine toothed comb to everything you've ever done, and it's in the discretion of who does the audits. You might get a laid back person that might not really WANT to do it, while you could also get someone who's so willing to meet his daily quota. Then you might not get anything at all, or the owners of the establishment telling the auditor to get lost because they got their own papers to say that anyone that does entertainment there is covered though a "CYA" testament. Unless you have a search warrant given to you by the police, they can't force a search on anyone (I know the FBI element of this, though).

The problem is what the argument is that I'm having with Thunder (and which I think he's cherry-picking what I'm showing him to support his own theories; that's why mainstream America hates Sarah Pailin, other than the fact that Ms. "I can see Russia from my house" is as dumb as a brick). The way SC and CB have been doing things is what I've been calling the "snitch hotline". This becomes problematic because it leaves the door wide open for people who feel as though they cannot compete with another host to drive him or her out by making a claim to one of those hotlines that they are using illegal karaoke, or sabotage them to use a burned disc, and then hide the evidence that it was YOUR disc on THEIR machine. Then, THEY get driven out, and YOU take over, charge whatever you want because who else is there gonna be (you used the snitch hotline as a weapon against the competition in your area), and you have it made. Thing is, that host you snitched upon can snitch on you, thus backfiring, and you're BOTH out of jobs. The only people who win are those that have the money for all the legal backing in the world.

The reason why I argue with Thunder is because he seems so ready to embrace that practice, and cheer lead the efforts that he doesn't stop and think about what alternative there could be to curb the piracy. I mentioned to compete, or to provide a per-song download program a la Steam, etc., that could make buying a track so attractive that piracy isn't even considered. The problem is that the enablers to the "sue 'em all now, ask questions later" never seem to want the karaoke industry to adapt to the times. They don't WANT CB or SC or whoever to go DD, because that would mean that they have to learn a new thing. It goes with, I'm sorry to say and with all due respect, laziness. They don't understand it, so they shun it. They don't want to understand the tech, so they make it a mortal sin. I think that, if the entire karaoke industry went DD tomorrow and CDGs ceased to exist, that some hosts would quit because they don't want to use a computer.

Some people are doing "illegal karaoke" because it's a convenience for them to not carry discs around with them to every show, while some, believe it or not, do so because they want to "stick it to the man" and tell people like SC where they can stick their effing audits. That's what happened with the AC2 deal I told you about. People began cracking the DRM to the PC version of the game because Ubisoft, despite all the outcries from the mainstream gaming press, refused to budge and took the criticisms as praise. This wasn't because they wanted to pirate the game or because they wanted to get it for free, but as a rebuttal for what they got put through from the DRM. I think that people "pirate" karaoke as a way to show SC "hey, look, we WANT you to adopt this model where we CAN pay for such an option, but because you're too stubborn to realize that we might not WANT to carry around a million discs with us, we're taking matters into our OWN hands." This is the "anti-establishment" bug that you hear so much of. Then you have those people that say "hey, they already think I'm guilty anyway, so might as well".

My theory is that if they would establish a SERIOUS DD model that would be friendly to the consumer and be reasonably priced, then you will see piracy go down a ton. The "sue sue sue" mentality only adds to the problem and makes piracy go UP because of the people who want to spite such behavior and those that want to show the corporations that they want to be digital and would pay for it if given the opportunity, but since we're too stubborn to even TRY...

Don't forget, SC is suing for Trademark. - the legal argument being: you have affixed the mark (by recording [ripping] it) to a product (medium) not of their making. Remember, SC holds a license to produce and distribute CDGs not digital files - that is the basis for claiming your format shift constitutes a derivative product bearing a false trademark.

That is what keeps their complaint from getting thrown out of court. Then, once filed - they use that complaint out of court as leverage to get you to incriminate yourself on the piracy issue or capitulate to their demands.

Clever - but, still evil.

The whole 1:1 thing is mute because, even where prohibited - a true 1:1 circumstance produces no damage and there is no monetary value to winning a judgemet. No one pursues people on this basis becasue the monetary prize is essentially $0.

jclaydon said:
To the best of my knowledge we aren't supposed to post links to other boards, since It could be considered advertising. However I have just re-read the post I was referring to, and you are correct they do authorize use in a show, but they still can't gauruntee that the rights holder won't come after you. I will bold the relevant sections

"Chartbuster Karaoke @ Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:03 pm wrote:
Apologies for taking so long to reply - and thanks to leopard lizard for starting the thread as requested.

From our website: "You are allowed to make a single copy of your Chartbuster Karaoke discs for archive purposes only. Please note that this does not entitle you to use those backed-up tracks for any other purpose than as a back-up, including playing, sharing, distribution or performance.

"Karaoke shows that use tracks stored to a hard disk drive are doing so in violation of the Chartbuster Karaoke license printed on the original disc. Unless the tracks were purchased as digital downloads and are being played from the original disk onto which they were downloaded, the operator is in violation of the license."

You will note that for the purposes of a track that is ripped from a disc, only the disc is authorized for use in a Karaoke Show setting, and not the ripped track.

When you purchase a digital download from our online store, you are given a receipt from that transaction. It is the only record you will have that you legally obtained the track, since no physical disc accompanies the purchase.

If you have a digital download, have your receipts, and are performing a karaoke show, as long as your other licenses are in order, you are authorized to use a Chartbuster Karaoke track purchased in this fashion in your show. This does not confer any other license to you - you must still conform to applicable copyright and performance rights laws, along with any other restriction(s) that may apply. It only expressly means that the use of the Chartbuster Karaoke rendition is authorized by Chartbuster Karaoke, and no other licenses, explicit or implicit, are conferred.

In addition, you should note that in cases of this nature, the courts have yet to determine what distinguishes a back-up copy from an original. Bear in mind that there is no distinguishing feature that can tell any two digital copies apart, other than the media on which they reside. In order to hew as closely as possible to what we believe to be the letter and the spirit of the law, we believe that it is important that the purchaser only download tracks directly to the hard disk drive from which it will be drawn during performance. We don't know how this will eventually shake out in the courts, but until a precedent has been set, this is what we recommend. It may or may not save your entrepreneurial backside later down the road, but it might provide some protection.

Does this mean that the publishers won't come after you for using a digital download in a show? Well, we don't know, and I don't think anyone else does at this point either. They might decide they have bigger fish to fry, even if they think you are infringing. Or they might smell money and land on you with both feet. It's anybody's guess.

Please also note that we make karaoke, not law. We do our best to give you the viewpoint and perspective from where we are sitting. Do not construe any of this to be legal advice - when in doubt, ask your lawyer.

Is this unambiguous enough for the forum?"

Also I have two problems with their downloads.

1. 80-90% of their catalog is currently unavailable as downloads inlcuding ALL of their monthly releases, which in my opinion would be the main point in wanting digital downloads.

2. Their downloads are only available at 128Kbps and sound like CRAP, in my opinion.

Still I was wrong about chartbuster, so I apologize in that regard.

Also you are correct that I forgot to address your comment on Zoom for which I also apologize. If Itunes is selling ZOOM tracks, my next question would be, have you bought any? If I were a betting person, I would bet that none of them contain the GRAPHIC portion and are music only.

To answer your question directly NO in the eyes of the law, karaoke is NOT a form of musical entertainment. It is viewed the exact same as any TV show or Movie. And no matter how much you ignore or gloss over the fact the LAWS for Audio Visual Works and Musical works are different in North America.

-James

P.S. I have just read over your post about the Pop Hits monthly site and I finally understand your confusion. Yes, they are selling their music in the mp3+g format but ONLY on CD ROM discs. Stellar does NOT offer their mp3+G tracks as DOWNLOADS.

The only difference between what Soundchoice will be doing and Stellar is that Stellar's tracks are sold as 192Kbits and Soundchoice's tracks will be 320

...and now you know why I'm "Disc Based And Loving It!". Adding all the above to ripping, software bugs, updates, add-ons, PC upgrades, no QC for MP3s, etc........It's just friggin' easier....! :sqrolleyes::sqwink:

Proformance said:
.... The entire point of a backup is to replace a "disposed" original and I'll take the Fedreal Court's opinion .....any day of the week.

THAT is dead on correct, be it software, audio, video, or whatever, as long as it's for single site use.

Companies may not WANT you to back up for replacement use, because the prefer you BUY a replacement. They might even include a clause in their licensing documentation- but it's unenforceable.

JoeChartreuse said:
...and now you know why I'm "Disc Based And Loving It!". Adding all the above to ripping, software bugs, updates, add-ons, PC upgrades, no QC for MP3s, etc........It's just friggin' easier....! :sqrolleyes::sqwink:

That's a matter of preference, though. The point is we shouldn't be FORCING people to use one thing or another, but rather open up the options and have diversity. You might be more comfortable saying disc based, but should that give you the right to tell someone else that THEY have to be just because YOU are?

Proformance said:
The whole 1:1 thing is mute because, even where prohibited - a true 1:1 circumstance produces no damage and therefore no monetary value to winning a judgemet. No one pursues people on this basis becasue the monetary prize is essentially $0.

Well I be a monkey's uncle, Bob and I are in agreement again and with Sound Choice no less!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back