What's new

GEM Set #1 has arrived!

I'm happy that Bazza's pleased with his choice. Alot of us here actually wanted to see the product, and he was nice enough to post it. He is spending his money the way he sees fit, and that should be the only thing relevent in this circumstance.

What's the difference between this "Gem" series and any regular service such as Primecuts, Promo Only, ERG....you technically don't own those either....

Steve LeBlanc said:
What's the difference between this "Gem" series and any regular service such as Primecuts, Promo Only, ERG....you technically don't own those either....

You need to read the licensing agreement that Joe C. posted for the gem series. IMHO, it's full of traps.

Promo Only and others don't require that you allow them to:

(1) "audit" (read as "physically inspect") you whenever they are in the mood or,

(2) require that you turn over accounting records of your business,

(3) put licensing stickers all over your equipment

(4) nor is there an additional "fee" associated with it after 5 years and every 3 years thereafter until you die.

So what, who cares.

If you don't like the terms of any agreement then don't use the product.

The soapboxes on this subject are getting mighty crowded.

Let me also add that there are hundreds of posts on this and other sites about DJ contracts. And what do "we" always say? That the bride and groom must honor our contracts. That they should have read them. That it's a legal contract between us and them. We want a down payment. We want specific food fed to us. We want certain power and set-up locations. Need I go on?

And what do we do if the bride backs out or changes things? "Oh Ms. Bride, please read the contract that YOU signed"

The majority of the discussion on this subject over the last few months is pretty much nothing but mental masturbation.

Aren't you all tired of that yet? Go find a "real" subject to give some love to.

Big Dan said:
Everyone's only allowed to extol the virtues of the Gem series? No negative feedback allowed and the moderator's aren't allowed to express their opinion either? Wow, I'm glad you don't run this place.

Just a word of note you really have to stop thinking you make rules here and being a wise aleck about it all. It's really starting to get on my nerves and it's only been a couple of days.

Dan,

I don't think I make the rules, I just want to see them followed! If one or two have to follow the rules should not everyone be held to the same standard?

Jeff has closed just about every karaoke thread because he "didn't like the direction it was going", "it has used up it's purpose" or "has strayed off topic"!

The only negative comments made on this thread were done by Chip and he was simply repeating the things he has said 20 times before in every other karaoke thread he has been in since he got to this site!

Again if we have a zero tolerance policy is it going to be enforced across the board?

Or are you saying cowboy up again?

Thunder said:
Dan,

I don't think I make the rules, I just want to see them followed! If one or two have to follow the rules should not everyone be held to the same standard?

Jeff has closed just about every karaoke thread because he "didn't like the direction it was going", "it has used up it's purpose" or "has strayed off topic"!

The only negative comments made on this thread were done by Chip and he was simply repeating the things he has said 20 times before in every other karaoke thread he has been in since he got to this site!

Again if we have a zero tolerance policy is it going to be enforced across the board?

Or are you saying cowboy up again?

The rules are being enforced evenly Steve. I spent half my morning cleaning up both pro and anti- SC bashing and baiting. Heck, I even caught bait for you before you even seen it. ;)

On the thread closures a whole bunch of the SC threads ended up as nothing but a bunch of baiting, insults, and attacks on BOTH sides of the aisle. I standby the closures. I am not going to spend my time defending moderators' thread closure choices to you, or anyone else for that matter. I have enough work to do with this whole SC mess.

We've spoke privately about this before; the idea that moderators aren't to thank posts or join the conversation with their opinion is novel but it just isn't going to happen. I realize the appearance of moderating in favor of their position is there. I haven't seen anyone using their tools to censure the opposing side. The only ones who have taken issue with moderators participating in the discussion are the few who needed to be told to simmer down. It smells like a deflection tactic to me.

At any rate, if and when you want to cowboy up go right ahead but don't say I didn't warn you when you get a break from ODJT.

No, I think I will continue to be Mr. Nice Guy (hall monitor) I am actually enjoying it!:sqbiggrin:

Thunder said:
No, I think I will continue to be Mr. Nice Guy (hall monitor) I am actually enjoying it!:sqbiggrin:

I can tell your enjoying bustin' my chops. Fair warning: I only have so much patience for people playing moderator, Steve. Nobody designated you board savior. Report valid concerns via the report post button but please stop derailing threads with your twist on how things should be handled because it's already getting old from where I sit. I have three websites I'm supposed to be working on and instead I spent the better part of the day playing screwing around in the Karaoke threads.

Dan,

You aren't going to ban me for being a nice guy and not insinuating things or calling people names are you?:sqeek:

Did you do that with the whinny little people who cry about me calling them pirates?:sqwink:

back on topic. In regards to subscription based music collections. The purchaser does not own them but only pays for one disc the first time and no longer has to pay for that disc again in 5 yrs and then every three yrs. In fact only pays for that disc one time during the contract. Some might not be aware of the difference. Hopefully this clears up that issue. Perhaps SC considers this installments?

c. staley said:
FACT #1:
Apparently, even you don't understand the distinction. Bazza has not "purchased" anything. He has "rented" the gem series since it is not available for "sale." Even a cursory examination of the licensing agreement reveals this. Joe C. was kind enough to post a link to the agreement and I'd suggest that you read it..... carefully. I know that you've expressed a concern in the past that Sound Choice might "switch the agreement" on you and this would be your perfect opportunity to guard against that.
Geez the FUD is getting thick in here!

I have licensed the set for business use. The term is five years. After that I pay esssentially $33 a year to extend the agreement. (3 years/$100). That's 20 minutes of work at my rate, and a tax deduction at that. This does not frighten me in the slightest. All your fear mongering is just getting silly. What next...my firstborn child must go to Kurt Slep? :sqlaugh:

And the agreement is for all to see on the Sound Choice website by the way.

c. staley said:
FACT #2:

Once you have downloaded and read the agreement, then very carefully read Paragraph 4, Section (e)....(have your "bookkeeper" help you if necessary)... it specifically prohibits "display" in connection with the internet. I'm sure that Bazza didn't intend to breach the agreement so soon after receiving his shipment but according to the agreement, a breach has occurred.

Oh man remind me not to hire you as my lawyer. :sqlaugh: I didn't post the product, I posted a screen shot of the opening screen as part of my review. Hardly the same thing.

But feel free to carry on Chicken Little. :sqwink:

Bazza..I hope you enjoy the GEM set, and as my family always says anytime anyone gets anything new...use them in good health.

Thunder...your amazing display of sincerity is giving me heartburn.

Birdofsong

Birdofsong said:
Bazza..I hope you enjoy the GEM set, and as my family always says anytime anyone gets anything new...use them in good health.

Thunder...your amazing display of sincerity is giving me heartburn.

Birdofsong

Is it heartburn, or is it the pinch in the chest you get when something hits home?

Back on topic, question to Sound Choice or Bazza:
Would renaming the files break the agreement? If It does then I need to change softwares. Might even go to AutoKDJ if needed. Um Rob does Karma read mp3 Tags?

DannyGKaraoke said:
Would renaming the files break the agreement? If It does then I need to change softwares. Might even go to AutoKDJ if needed. Um Rob does Karma read mp3 Tags?

Yes Karma can read tags.... it can also read that format I beleve even with the underscores.....

I would also like to know if renaming files is an option as I would want to put an SC in front of the disc/track numbers and remove the underscores and capitalize the file names.....

Not to mention correct some of the file names.... Note the very first song in that screen shot.... the song title isn't complete.

DannyGKaraoke said:

In my opinion (and it is just that) as long as there is one copy, on one machine from the disc, I'm betting Sound Choice could care less if you zip them, or change the naming convention to allow your software to play them. Although some would lead you to believe otherwise, Sound Choice has bigger fish to fry than those who have paid them for their music.

If you are concerned, I would suggest simply sending an email to Kurt & asking. He is pretty quick with this replies.

Bazza said:
If you are concerned, I would suggest simply sending an email to Kurt & asking. He is pretty quick with this replies.

Wait a minute...I don't understand. Are you seriously telling people to actually ASK THE SOURCE instead of speculating on what the correct answer might be?

Is that even allowed on these boards?

:)

Steve LeBlanc said:

The difference is the scarcity and demand for the tracks involved. The tracks of DJ subscriptions are current or future hits, meaning the DJ gets the hits at the same time or even before they hit the radio. They are a time sensitive product.

Karaoke tracks are a secondary cover product, and not time sensitive. There are any number of various competing products or versions at any given time that you can choose from.

The new Soudchoice product in particular, is just a re-release of old material making it completely unattractive. People don'y sign on with Promo Only to get the Time-Life Treasury of Classic Hits - but, that's essentially what SC is selling with their license.

As for piracy - Having a license from SC is no more effecive than being "certified" by a DJ association.

Back