What's new

GEM Set #1 has arrived!

Proformance said:
The new Soudchoice product in particular, is just a re-release of old material making it completely unattractive. People don'y sign on with Promo Only to get the Time-Life Treasury of Classic Hits - but, that's essentially what SC is selling with their license.

Considering that more people will sing a song from the Time Life library vs Lady Gaga I think it seems like a pretty good deal.

VJ Justin Allen said:
Considering that more people will sing a song from the Time Life library vs Lady Gaga I think it seems like a pretty good deal.

That's the whole point. A DJ needs a particular song while it's hot - and when it's not it's value declines to near zero. The value of a pool subscription resides in the next release, not the previous catalog.

There is no value in a KJ license to a track like "Material Girl" by Madonna because karaoke versions of that song exist in over a dozen different varieties, from numerous sources including retail stores.

The Soundchoice license gets you the privilage of paying higher than retail prices while shopping at a yard sale.

Proformance said:
The Soundchoice license gets you the privilage of paying higher than retail prices while shopping at a yard sale.

More like an estate sale. You'd find "Sweet Georgia Brown" discs at the yard sale. :sqlaugh:

I was going to be a smart aleck and make a joke, but thought better of it. Keep smiling folks. :)

Sarge wins compassionate member of the day award. Everyone give him some love.

DannyGKaraoke said:
Back on topic, question to Sound Choice or Bazza:
Would renaming the files break the agreement? If It does then I need to change softwares. Might even go to AutoKDJ if needed. Um Rob does Karma read mp3 Tags?

Got the word that as long as the discID and track remains the same then you won't be in breach of agreement if you name them by removing the underscores.
And rob was right when he said Karma would accept the underscores so if he gets the set he won't have to rename the songs.

Bazza said:
More like an estate sale. You'd find "Sweet Georgia Brown" discs at the yard sale. :sqlaugh:

Oh, you find Sound Choice discs at yard sales too. :sqcool:

Proformance said:
That's the whole point. A DJ needs a particular song while it's hot - and when it's not it's value declines to near zero. The value of a pool subscription resides in the next release, not the previous catalog.

There is no value in a KJ license to a track like "Material Girl" by Madonna because karaoke versions of that song exist in over a dozen different varieties, from numerous sources including retail stores.

Actually I think you missed the point:

Where the new and hotest hit may be the steak and potatos for DJ subscriptions....

The Oldie Moldies are the hot tracks for KJ's....

So, what I'm basically saying is from a karaoke stand point what is needed and or desired by hosts is the flip of what a DJ would desire in getting the hottest hits before they are hits... KJ's would prefer that they had already been hits.

As to your point on the Madonna tune.... the value is in the fact that it is a Sound Choice track vs. say Sweet Georgia Brown or Backstage.... it holds value because of the "assumed" quality of the musicianship and lyric accuracy. So what if every karaoke maker on the planet makes their version of whatever song in question.... it's not Sound Choice.... despite what you or I may think Sound Choice is recognized as a quality product not just by hosts but also by singers.

jokerswild said:
As to your point on the Madonna tune.... the value is in the fact that it is a Sound Choice track vs. say Sweet Georgia Brown or Backstage.... it holds value because of the "assumed" quality of the musicianship and lyric accuracy. So what if every karaoke maker on the planet makes their version of whatever song in question.... it's not Sound Choice.... despite what you or I may think Sound Choice is recognized as a quality product not just by hosts but also by singers.

Actually, the best version I ever heard of that song was on a patron's Medacy Karaoke Party ( k-mart ) disc. Scary but true...:sqeek:

jokerswild said:
Where the new and hotest hit may be the steak and potatos for DJ subscriptions....

The Oldie Moldies are the hot tracks for KJ's....

It's not about the DJ - it's the economics of acquiring the song.

New releases are in limited supply distribuited by limited sources.

The "oldies" market even for karaoke is saturated and despite what anyone claims about SoundChoice quality the value is grossly diminished by the number of available substitutes.

.... the value is in the fact that it is a Sound Choice track vs. say Sweet Georgia Brown or Backstage.... it holds value because of the "assumed" quality of the musicianship and lyric accuracy. So what if every karaoke maker on the planet makes their version of whatever song in question.... it's not Sound Choice.... despite what you or I may think Sound Choice is recognized as a quality product not just by hosts but also by singers.

Your "facts' are wrong or you are simply ignoring the real facts. Sound Choice is not the leader in karaoke sales and their financial performance indicates that their quality is not the significant factor people claim it to be.

Proformance said:
Your "facts' are wrong or you are simply ignoring the real facts. Sound Choice is not the leader in karaoke sales and their financial performance indicates that their quality is not the significant factor people claim it to be.

Well, quality is in the eye of the beholder. To ME they are by far the best quality. And that's all that matters....to me. :sqwink:

Lotus doesn't sell 1/10 as many cars as Chevy, both in quantity & dollars. Does this make them lower quality then?

Proformance said:

The "oldies" market even for karaoke is saturated and despite what anyone claims about SoundChoice quality the value is grossly diminished by the number of available substitutes.

your right. Soundchoice is total crap. I mean why else would people have stolen hundreds of thousands of copies of their songs? *I would say millions but then you'd probably say 'prove it' and I can only prove for a fact that their ENTIRE collection was downoaded by 100 people I had personally witnessed*. 90% of the stuff that gets sung in all the shows I go to is soundchoice, so the singers must like total crap as well. And let's just totally ignore all the other hosts who have specifically stated that their customers prefer soundchoice. After all the number of KJs on this board MUST represent the ENTIRE population of North America so everyone else must hate Soundchoice. :sqerr:

Sales have absolutely nothing to do with popularity when something is available for free.

jclaydon said:
Sales have absolutely nothing to do with popularity when something is available for free.

You sum it up nicely: Popularity does not equal profit.

The responsibility to anticpate "free" losses vs potential sales belongs to SoundChoice. They are the ones who chose how, where, and to whom to direct their product and sales effort.

What's so funny about your saracasm is that you acknowledge SC left their meat on the picnic table - yet, you want to blame the bears for coming out of the woods to eat it?

They are what they are. You're not going to change the arrogant KJ any more than you can change a bear. SC needs to make better camp.

Bazza said:
Well, quality is in the eye of the beholder. To ME they are by far the best quality. And that's all that matters....to me. :sqwink:

Lotus doesn't sell 1/10 as many cars as Chevy, both in quantity & dollars. Does this make them lower quality then?

Who cares? The sales of automobiles is not subject to potential losses by simple and free replication.

If you produce a CD of any kind - you're sales projections have to take into account the vulnerability of your product and the integrity of the client base you are targeting.

FYI: As a group, home user's actually have more integrity than KJs.

Proformance said:

I completely and utterly dissagree with you on all points of contention.... sorry my friend but I've been into and doing karaoke since 1990 when laser discs were still in use.... for a karaoke host it is IN FACT the oldies that make up the vast majority of requested music.... and it is IN FACT that Sound Choice is the most desired brand...

I'm not here tooting the horn for Sound Choice as Joe pointed out there are better versions of certain songs than Sound Choice.... that is a FACT. However the vast majority of singers if asked for the version they prefer (and I mean the ones that take karaoke seriously) not the young snot nosed kids, I mean the ones that have been around and know what they like. They will undoubtedly tell you Sound Choice despite the fact that there might be a better version....

There for in Karaoke terms not freakin' DJ terms... Oldies are far more desired in a collect since they will get sung the most.

Proformance said:
You sum it up nicely: Popularity does not equal profit.

The responsibility to anticpate "free" losses vs potential sales belongs to SoundChoice. They are the ones who chose how, where, and to whom to direct their product and sales effort.

What's so funny about your saracasm is that you acknowledge SC left their meat on the picnic table - yet, you want to blame the bears for coming out of the woods to eat it?

They are what they are. You're not going to change the arrogant KJ any more than you can change a bear. SC needs to make better camp.

OMFG.... Your missinformation is astounding... Sound Choice did no such thing.... it was theives who converted CDG's to MP3+G and then made them available for sale on illegal CAVS Players, HDD, and Torrents that are to blame..... Sound Choice up until the GEM series has never made their product available to the US in MP3+G format with the exception of the UK site that's been mentioned but not legal for use in the US and also not run by Sound Choice directly altho it has been attributed to them... either way what was made available was not legal to use or sell in the US so again it goes right back to the thieves.

Proformance said:
FYI: As a group, home user's actually have more integrity than KJs.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone would argue with that statement, at least in general terms. There are always a few exceptions, but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that many :sqfrown:

jokerswild said:
OMFG.... Your missinformation is astounding... Sound Choice did no such thing.... it was theives who converted CDG's to MP3+G and then made them available for sale on illegal CAVS Players, HDD, and Torrents that are to blame..... Sound Choice up until the GEM series has never made their product available to the US in MP3+G format with the exception of the UK site that's been mentioned but not legal for use in the US and also not run by Sound Choice directly altho it has been attributed to them... either way what was made available was not legal to use or sell in the US so again it goes right back to the thieves.

Well, I'd like to hear from Kurt at Soundchoice respond on exactly WHY these MP3+G discs are "created" in the U.K. and they are marked as "Distributed in the U.S. by Sound Choice" instead of "Manufactured in the U.S.A. by Sound Choice"

I'm sure that there's lots of speculators out there (restrain yourselves please), but this is one question that I'd like to hear (or read) the answer straight from the horses mouth.

c. staley said:
Well, I'd like to hear from Kurt at Soundchoice respond on exactly WHY these MP3+G discs are "created" in the U.K. and they are marked as "Distributed in the U.S. by Sound Choice" instead of "Manufactured in the U.S.A. by Sound Choice"

I'm sure that there's lots of speculators out there (restrain yourselves please), but this is one question that I'd like to hear (or read) the answer straight from the horses mouth.

Very good question actually.... Although have you ever purchased regular music from a distributer know as St Clair I believe.... well in any case that company is based in Canada but distributes in the US as well.... namely to Wal-Mart.

Back