What's new

GEM Set #1 has arrived!

OMG they were created in the UK?

Ok I saw the distributed by SC but I couldn't find the created in the UK anywhere on the disc, what am I missing?

Jon Tuck said:
hmm Madacy?

Definately St Clair or maybe St. Claire??? ... but Madacy is another I believe I've either seen or simply heard of.... but for sure St. Clair... mostly boxset type stuff you know like 4CD Best of type stuff. Gotta watch them though there very notorious for using Sound Alike bands and they say so on their packageing....

But, anyway that's another topic.

c. staley said:
Well, I'd like to hear from Kurt at Soundchoice respond on exactly WHY these MP3+G discs are "created" in the U.K. and they are marked as "Distributed in the U.S. by Sound Choice" instead of "Manufactured in the U.S.A. by Sound Choice"

I'm sure that there's lots of speculators out there (restrain yourselves please), but this is one question that I'd like to hear (or read) the answer straight from the horses mouth.

Now THAT is an interesting piece of information! It would, for instance, explain why SC won't supply their own U.S. licensing documentation even though they want customers to jump through hoops for it...I have to verify that, Chip. Got a link? If this is true, one would be buying something with no more U.S. Licensing than, say, SGB.

Another question has crossed my mind. Actual legal stuff aside, we have seen several posts stating that SC says they won't go after anyone that's 1:1 who rips to PC.

With all the hoop jumping required for the GEM series, do they supply DOCUMENTATION substantiating that statement?

Bazza?

A simple yes or no. If yes, it may be worth something. If no, then a GEM owner is no better protected from harrassment than a CDG ripper. Just SAYING they won't bug you isn't worth the paper it's not printed on.

DO they include documentation containing that guarantee?

jokerswild said:
I completely and utterly dissagree with you on all points of contention.... sorry my friend but I've been into and doing karaoke since 1990 when laser discs were still in use.... for a karaoke host it is IN FACT the oldies that make up the vast majority of requested music.... and it is IN FACT that Sound Choice is the most desired brand...

...None of which creates a market for the product. What part of saturated do yo not get?

The vast majority of singers if asked for the version they prefer (and I mean the ones that take karaoke seriously) not the young snot nosed kids, I mean the ones that have been around and know what they like. They will undoubtedly tell you Sound Choice despite the fact that there might be a better version....

That's not only your opinion, but it's a projection that fosters a like minded response from your singers as well. (What you preach elicits practice.)

There for in Karaoke terms not freakin' DJ terms... Oldies are far more desired in a collect since they will get sung the most.

What's in your collection represents NO SALE potential because, you only buy oldies ONCE. You'll buy new music every month.

The mere fact that you can actually identify by name the person buying the 1st copy of the Gem series abd the day on which they recieved it - tells you just how tiny this potential market is. The quality doesn't matter because, the number of KJS and singers who think like you do is too small, and the product too unimportant.

jokerswild said:
OMFG.... Your missinformation is astounding... Sound Choice did no such thing.... it was theives who converted CDG's to MP3+G and then made them available for sale on illegal CAVS Players, HDD, and Torrents that are to blame.....

...and you don't think any of that was forseeable and preventable?

Sound Choice up until the GEM series has never made their product available to the US in MP3+G format with the exception of the UK site that's been mentioned but not legal for use in the US and also not run by Sound Choice directly altho it has been attributed to them... either way what was made available was not legal to use or sell in the US so again it goes right back to the thieves.

Wow. That's a lot of qualifiers.
I think I've seen that same description in the dictionary under: "Careless"
See also: fast and loose.

Bob,

The market is saturated because of piracy, Sound Choice is being proactive in reducing the illegal saturation!

That won't change the saturation level in the end but it will make what is out there closer to legal!

c. staley said:
Well, I'd like to hear from Kurt at Soundchoice respond on exactly WHY these MP3+G discs are "created" in the U.K. and they are marked as "Distributed in the U.S. by Sound Choice" instead of "Manufactured in the U.S.A. by Sound Choice"

I'm sure that there's lots of speculators out there (restrain yourselves please), but this is one question that I'd like to hear (or read) the answer straight from the horses mouth.

You can read it "from the horses mouth" on the Sound Choice forum.

Sound Choice Customer said:
I ordered a spotlight disc from DooWop.com based in Kentucky and the disc I received was made from: (written on the disc plate) "Compiled and Produced by FSC-MediaPlas, New Milton, United Kingdom".

It looks like a copied disc, the front is way much brighter than the red, white & black SC Spotlight original colors. I just want an assurance from SC that I have a legit purchased CDG SC # 8941. Thanks!

Kurt Slep said:
Yes, it’s a legitimate disc. In an effort to bring back more “out of print” Sound Choice titles that had been discontinued due to expired licenses or low sales, our UK branch is licensing the songs through MCPS (which is easier and less expensive than US publishers and allows for world-wide distribution). We import and distribute limited quantities of these discs. Thank you for your diligence in being certain you are getting genuine Sound Choice products.

JoeChartreuse said:

Joe?

JoeChartreuse said:
A simple yes or no. If yes, it may be worth something. If no, then a GEM owner is no better protected from harrassment than a CDG ripper. Just SAYING they won't bug you isn't worth the paper it's not printed on. DO they include documentation containing that guarantee?

No. But I was never promised such protection. What I have said was "Why would they come after me after I just BOUGHT the entire set?!".

In My Opinion, they have bigger fish to fry than the guy who just paid them $4000. :sqrolleyes:

Soooo I might get an audit some day. Would it go something like this?

SC: Do you have the physical discs for the songs you play?

BZ: Yes. You sold them to me. Remember?

SC: LIAR! Show us the stickers & discs, pirate!

BZ: (Displays stickers and GEM set)

SC: Oh yeah. Have a nice day.

:sqlaugh:

Bazza said:

So, what doesn't make sense here because this sounds a lot like a "pirate technicality and mentality" wouldn't you think?

Originally Posted by Kurt Slep
Yes, it’s a legitimate disc. In an effort to bring back more “out of print” Sound Choice titles that had been discontinued due to expired licenses or low sales, our UK branch is licensing the songs through MCPS (which is easier and less expensive than US publishers and allows for world-wide distribution). We import and distribute limited quantities of these discs.

Oh, yeah.... they "used to make 'em here, license 'em here and sell 'em here" right? Why didn't they license them in the U.K. to start with?

But, they realized; "Hey, if we license this stuff through the U.K. instead of the U.S., we won't have to pay the song writers or publishers here their rightful fees for their music and we can still sue the pirates in the U.S. for not paying us!"

So while they're busy screwing over the song writers and publishers for their money, they will sue KJ's for screwing them out of their money.... Trickle down economics isn't it...

Now, that's integrity for you....

Oh, and now they still intend to "throttle music" because they could simply make their entire library available and develop "packages" by minimum quantity of songs that a KJ would want and use instead of forcing KJ's to buy a bunch of crap they either don't need or will never use.

You'll see Eagles on the Gem Series.... just not all of them... as more and more "sets are compiled" you'll see different Eagles songs spread out over more disc sets.... forcing you to buy junk you don't need just like the disc series. For example; did you know that there are 3 spotlight discs with "beer for my horses" on them?.... (not including power picks or star series)

VJ Justin Allen said:
Joe, are you asking pre-sales questions? ... or just causing issues again?

An actual question, Justin. I don't know if the documentation is included. Bazza has received a set, so I directed the question to him.

The reason for the question was explained in my post.

Doesn't matter. Leaving for vacation in a few hours, so you get at least a week without me. Enjoy.

Bazza said:
Joe?

No. But I was never promised such protection. What I have said was "Why would they come after me after I just BOUGHT the entire set?!".

In My Opinion, they have bigger fish to fry than the guy who just paid them $4000. :sqrolleyes:

Soooo I might get an audit some day. Would it go something like this?

SC: Do you have the physical discs for the songs you play?

BZ: Yes. You sold them to me. Remember?

SC: LIAR! Show us the stickers & discs, pirate!

BZ: (Displays stickers and GEM set)

SC: Oh yeah. Have a nice day.

:sqlaugh:

Bazza, I understand! I only asked you if such documentation of Kurt's statements that SC would not go after a 1:1 KJ was included with your package.

The answer was no. Thank you for the information.

This tells me that they may well do another go round after the Gems get distributed.

Your scenario above may well be accurate- or it may not. No guarantee.

Once again, I am happy that you are satisfied with your purchase, and hope you use it in good health.

Bazza said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
" Kurt:
Yes, it’s a legitimate disc. In an effort to bring back more “out of print” Sound Choice titles that had been discontinued due to expired licenses or low sales, our UK branch is licensing the songs through MCPS (which is easier and less expensive than US publishers and allows for world-wide distribution). We import and distribute limited quantities of these discs."

Yup. Like Zoom, Sunfly, and many others... So- Licenced like other overseas brands, and no documented promise not to go after a 1:1 KJ.

Why is it worth the cost and effort differential again? Ah yes. The label, I guess....

DannyGKaraoke said:
Got the word that as long as the discID and track remains the same then you won't be in breach of agreement if you name them by removing the underscores.
And rob was right when he said Karma would accept the underscores so if he gets the set he won't have to rename the songs.
Have re evaluated and have decided to go a different route towards expanding my library. I financially can't see myself putting myself in hock to get a set I don't even own.

What part of "You don't own ANY of the music you get from pools like Promo Only, SC, and many others, don't you people get?

JoeChartreuse said:
" Kurt:
Yes, it’s a legitimate disc. In an effort to bring back more “out of print” Sound Choice titles that had been discontinued due to expired licenses or low sales, our UK branch is licensing the songs through MCPS (which is easier and less expensive than US publishers and allows for world-wide distribution). We import and distribute limited quantities of these discs."

Yup. Like Zoom, Sunfly, and many others... So- Licenced like other overseas brands, and no documented promise not to go after a 1:1 KJ.

Why is it worth the cost and effort differential again? Ah yes. The label, I guess....

Well, you know.... it just seems kind of wierd that SC, or Zoom or Sunfly --who license the material in the UK with MCPS-PRS -- are not bothering to notify the KJ's about the required "Pro-Dub License" that would be required in order to copy the cd's to a laptop. i.e. it's basically a license that allows a KJ to format-shift AND play them "commercially."

2. What does the ProDub Licence allow me to do?

In very simple terms the ProDub Licence allows an individual to copy music they own onto various formats and devices, such as from their CDs to their laptop, for the purpose of using that device or format to undertake professional or semi-professional performances, such as those undertaken by DJs, karaoke jockeys, fitness instructors, performers etc.

3. As I have already paid for the music I am copying, why do I still need to pay for a ProDub Licence?

When you purchase recordings, for example CDs from a record store or downloads from a legitimate online music service, you are only buying the right to listen to these recordings for private and domestic uses. This is why these recordings normally state that any unauthorised copying, hiring, broadcasting, etc of them is not permitted. If you therefore wish to make copies of these recordings for the purpose of carrying out performances such as DJing or conducting fitness classes or any other public performance, then you need to obtain a licence, which in these circumstances is the ProDub Licence.

So, in effect, even the discs that are "made and licensed in the U.K." are really only intended for "private" and not "commercial" use.....

Proformance said:
...None of which creates a market for the product. What part of saturated do yo not get?

That's not only your opinion, but it's a projection that fosters a like minded response from your singers as well. (What you preach elicits practice.)

What's in your collection represents NO SALE potential because, you only buy oldies ONCE. You'll buy new music every month.

The mere fact that you can actually identify by name the person buying the 1st copy of the Gem series abd the day on which they recieved it - tells you just how tiny this potential market is. The quality doesn't matter because, the number of KJS and singers who think like you do is too small, and the product too unimportant.

Let me see if I can explain this better by conceeding that yes there are multiple versions of many songs by many different karaoke manufactures this is all true.... however.

You need to think along the lines of the manufacture's as being individual Artists doing their rendition of said song, this is what makes them unique.

Would you agree that Shout and done by Otis is a variation of the the one done by the Isley Brothers? Same song, same lyrics... slightly different approaches. Each song unique to the Artist performing them.

The same could be said about Karaoke Manufacture just replace the word Manufacture with Artist.

The fact that a song is dated or that multiple Karaoke Manufacture (Artists) have a version of said song out does not make the song less desirable to have from one particular manufacture to the next. If in the mind of the purchaser or singer a particualar Manufacture's (Artists) rendition in karaoke is better than the others that makes that version more valueable to them and the rest just fluff.

I know this is a hard concept but, Karaoke is not necessarily follow the same economics that regular DJ music might or at least not entirely.

Think about that coveted Eagles disc that folks are willing to pay 100's of dollars for... it's not like the same songs don't appear on other manufacture's discs. But, because of who made it and the fact that it is a rare find makes it more valueable than realistically it should be. All because of who made it.

Think of the value of karaoke as similar to finding say a lost recording of Jail House Rock by Elvis in your basement.... verified as authentic what do you think the value of such a recording would be despite how many other recordings of that song exist? I bet you could fetch a pretty penny for something like that couldn't ya.....

Ok so that is an extreme example but karaoke is like that... you could have 30 crap versions of You Ain't Nothin But A Hound Dog..... and one that everyone prefers to sing... which one do you think out of the 31 possible to buy would a KJ desire having in his collection? That is the value.

jokerswild said:
Let me see if I can explain this better by conceeding that yes there are multiple versions of many songs by many different karaoke manufactures this is all true.... however.

You need to think along the lines of the manufacture's as being individual Artists doing their rendition of said song, this is what makes them unique.

Would you agree that Shout and done by Otis is a variation of the the one done by the Isley Brothers? Same song, same lyrics... slightly different approaches. Each song unique to the Artist performing them.

The same could be said about Karaoke Manufacture just replace the word Manufacture with Artist.

The fact that a song is dated or that multiple Karaoke Manufacture (Artists) have a version of said song out does not make the song less desirable to have from one particular manufacture to the next. If in the mind of the purchaser or singer a particualar Manufacture's (Artists) rendition in karaoke is better than the others that makes that version more valueable to them and the rest just fluff.

I know this is a hard concept but, Karaoke is not necessarily follow the same economics that regular DJ music might or at least not entirely.

Think about that coveted Eagles disc that folks are willing to pay 100's of dollars for... it's not like the same songs don't appear on other manufacture's discs. But, because of who made it and the fact that it is a rare find makes it more valueable than realistically it should be. All because of who made it.

Think of the value of karaoke as similar to finding say a lost recording of Jail House Rock by Elvis in your basement.... verified as authentic what do you think the value of such a recording would be despite how many other recordings of that song exist? I bet you could fetch a pretty penny for something like that couldn't ya.....

Ok so that is an extreme example but karaoke is like that... you could have 30 crap versions of You Ain't Nothin But A Hound Dog..... and one that everyone prefers to sing... which one do you think out of the 31 possible to buy would a KJ desire having in his collection? That is the value.

That's so introspective that I have to wonder are you just that out of touch?

The majority of people (with money to spend) don't even know the names of karaoke manufacturers - let alone have a preference.

What people do care about is a KJ or DJ that "sounds good" - therefore it is your job to pick the best version of any given track, whether it's "Shout" or some obscure karaoke cover.

Regardless of how "good" a SoundChoice track may sound - it is still only a marginal karaoke cover - crap by all other standards. Therefore, your notion that it matters all that much is way off base.

The difference between Artist reditions and changes of arrangement in the CDs used by DJs is not at all comparable to the minimal difference between one karaoke track and another. I'll agree that perhaps SC is the "best" of what is essentially an entire class of cheezy karaoke covers. :)

Back