What's new

GEM Set #1 has arrived!

c. staley said:
Well, you know.... it just seems kind of wierd that SC, or Zoom or Sunfly --who license the material in the UK with MCPS-PRS -- are not bothering to notify the KJ's about the required "Pro-Dub License" that would be required in order to copy the cd's to a laptop. i.e. it's basically a license that allows a KJ to format-shift AND play them "commercially."

So, in effect, even the discs that are "made and licensed in the U.K." are really only intended for "private" and not "commercial" use.....

And if we are in the UK this maybe of some significance!

Since the majority of us are in the U.S. I believe that ASCAP, SESAC and BMI fees cover that issue!

Thunder said:
Chip,

Why must you bash the purchase that Bazza has made, he is clearly proud of it and has done you no harm, would it have ruined your day to simply not have posted negativity to this thread?

I think everyone should take this advice about EVERYTHING! I recall making this exact suggestion several times

We should all take our own advice.

Scott Hanna said:
I think everyone should take this advice about EVERYTHING! I recall making this exact suggestion several times

We should all take our own advice.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest! It's obviously not for everyone...but it was perfect for me.

Hey...maybe I'll be the only one and have a rare set. :sqlaugh:

Oy! Uncle..... I guess you're right I am out of touch and what is important to most every singer I've ever spoke with since 1990 isn't true anymore.... sheesh

{crawling back under my rock now}

I have a question, I read somewhere that when you transfer the new gem series that you have to transfer all the songs on the disc or you are in violation of the license.

If this is true how many dupes do you end up, (that you have to keep), with if you get all the discs?
Or is are there really 6000 songs with no dupes?

Lone Wolf said:
I have a question, I read somewhere that when you transfer the new gem series that you have to transfer all the songs on the disc or you are in violation of the license.

If this is true how many dupes do you end up, (that you have to keep), with if you get all the discs?
Or is are there really 6000 songs with no dupes?

It really is 6000 unique songs. Zero dupes.

The intent of the "Set splitting" section as I see it, is they basically don't want someone placing 3000 random songs on one rig and 3000 on another. Most likely due to the license sticker thing. Easier to enforce if they are kept together.

Bazza said:
It really is 6000 unique songs. Zero dupes.

The intent of the "Set splitting" section as I see it, is they basically don't want someone placing 3000 random songs on one rig and 3000 on another. Most likely due to the license sticker thing. Easier to enforce if they are kept together.

Then it appears to be a matter of whether you by "the songs" or "the set" because it seems to me that If I have purchased (or rented) a bunch of "songs" which is what my singers want, and let's say I have 2 of the same song (realizing there are no dupes in the current gem set) what's the difference if I put them each on different machines?

I've still paid for the right to use it didn't I? And as long as I don't duplicate it, there is no "damage" at all.

c. staley said:
Then it appears to be a matter of whether you by "the songs" or "the set" because it seems to me that If I have purchased (or rented) a bunch of "songs" which is what my singers want, and let's say I have 2 of the same song (realizing there are no dupes in the current gem set) what's the difference if I put them each on different machines?

I've still paid for the right to use it didn't I? And as long as I don't duplicate it, there is no "damage" at all.

Honestly, I never gave it much thought. I only have one rig and have no plans for more.

Bazza said:
Honestly, I never gave it much thought. I only have one rig and have no plans for more.

This is just an idea here, but why not move the dupes that aren't on the GEM disc to the other computer?:yoBiggrin:

Just a Thought here, but why not move the dupes that are not on the GEM seriers to the second Machine?:yoBiggrin:

Thunder said:
Just a Thought here, but why not move the dupes that are not on the GEM seriers to the second Machine?:yoBiggrin:

The point is that if I'm spending my money, I should be able to put whatever song I want on any system.... There is a difference between "choosing" to do what you want in your business or being "forced to" by some over-controlling agreement.

c. staley said:
The point is that if I'm spending my money, I should be able to put whatever song I want on any system.... There is a difference between "choosing" to do what you want in your business or being "forced to" by some over-controlling agreement.

Good point, don't buy the GEM series!

jokerswild said:
Oy! Uncle..... I guess you're right I am out of touch and what is important to most every singer I've ever spoke with since 1990 isn't true anymore.... sheesh

No, I'll concede it's probably true for all 38 people. :)

DannyGKaraoke said:
I didn't. Found the music I wanted on ebay. waiting for the packages to arrive.

How many songs & how much did you pay?

Bazza said:
How many songs & how much did you pay?

over 6000 and I paid $247 total for the discs. It's not Sound Choice but hey can't complain if it adds music to my system. I had to buy a converter as they are SuperCDGs.

DannyGKaraoke said:
over 6000 and I paid $247 total for the discs. It's not Sound Choice but hey can't complain if it adds music to my system. I had to buy a converter as they are SuperCDGs.

Good for you. I did the same thing & bought all the SCDG's some time ago (chartbuster, millenium, nutech, etc). It sure helps beef up your song selection in a hurry, that's for sure!

I've seen those before but never purchased because i've never used super cdg's and don't know how to rip/convert them into the zipped cdg format i use now?

Back