What's new

"Gotta be over 21, sorry"

Vampenstine

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I shop at charity shops for music and movies most of the time, and every time I've tried to buy a CD from this one charity shop and it has a Parental Guidance sticker on it, they refuse to sell it to me.
I'm 16. I've heard much worse than anything that'll be on a music CD, and yet I'm not allowed to buy it. I told one of my friends about this particular Blink 182 CD I got refused, so she offered to buy it for me. She also got refused 'cause she was 18 and not over 21.
It's happened multiple times and I've missed out on so many good deals on CDs I can't dream to afford brand new. It just pisses me off.:mad:
I wouldn't mind if it was law, but it isn't. I've looked up the laws on PG music and I've found nothing that specifically says anyone under 21 can't buy it.
Technically by now I could legally be living independently, working for a living, I could be married with kids, but I can't hear a song that has a swear word in it?

Just today I got told I couldn't buy a PG movie because I wasn't over 21. What. The. ****?
I was trying to buy Coraline.
I complained and they sold me it in the end anyway after I told the woman at the till to get the manager.

Just.. ugh. Annoying.

What charity shop do you go to? XD

Anyway, as far as I'm aware you're entitled to purchase those items; maybe look into trading standards and see what your rights are? No idea if that sort of thing even applies to charities.
Could you not just ask another customer to buy it? The charity shops near me are always full of older people.

That sounds crazy frustrating.
If I were you, I would still complain to management. And if needed, complain to someone with higher power. Maybe you can get a petition together and get them to change their rule.

You tried to buy Coraline...you're 16.
What the crap that's crazy Coraline is not only an awesome film but I probably saw it first at the age of 14/15 lmao. It's like a PG.

So in this country you can get ****faced at 18, drive a vehicle at 17 but you can't buy Coraline until you're 21 okay, Britain.

I think they're actually meant to check for ID if the customer looks under 21/25 for any age rated film/game, but I've never seen it enforced except for once at Asda when I was 15 or so and was asked for ID to buy Skate which is a 12...

They can't refuse to sell something to you if you have proof of age though, they've got the law mixed up. Is it just that the one charity shop?

I think they're actually meant to check for ID if the customer looks under 21/25 for any age rated film/game, but I've never seen it enforced except for once at Asda when I was 15 or so and was asked for ID to buy Skate which is a 12...

They can't refuse to sell something to you if you have proof of age though, they've got the law mixed up. Is it just that the one charity shop?

Yeah, everywhere else is fine with selling me stuff, it's just that one. It's the British Heart Foundation.

as far as I'm aware you're entitled to purchase those items; maybe look into trading standards and see what your rights are? No idea if that sort of thing even applies to charities.
Could you not just ask another customer to buy it? The charity shops near me are always full of older people.

I feel bad asking other people to get it for me unless they offer :p

Anyways, just e-mailed Citizen's Advice about it since I can't find anything on Trading Standards. I'll see what they say about PG music laws.

[MENTION=32]Vampenstine[/MENTION]
How about your finding an oldie, explain why you can't buy the CD (show them), ask them to buy it for you and give the money? The law is such an ****, but trading standards as Kirk said, do apply.

Try boot fairs. Many private sellers there, many a bargain too!

WHAT?! Even your 18 year old friend wasn't allowed to buy it?! As a 19 year old, I call stupidity. I've been buying cds with parental guidance labels for years and years. I only got stopped once, when I was, like, 13, because I was visiting a different state and their laws said I had to be 16. My mom just bought it for me instead, lol.

I can so no logical reason why you'd have to be 21 to buy a cd like that. You're a legal adult long before that. I. Just. Don't. Understand.

Just today I got told I couldn't buy a PG movie because I wasn't over 21. What. The. ****?
I was trying to buy Coraline.
I complained and they sold me it in the end anyway after I told the woman at the till to get the manager.

Just.. ugh. Annoying.

I got IDed buying Space Jam on DVD earlier this year.

A PG movie.

I'm 24.

The curse of looking like a child strikes again.

Back