What's new

Guns made out od 3D printers

Riven

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So, i know that gunsa are allowed in the US for self-defense..
But most countries need a license to carry a weapon and need a course to be able to have the license..

But now.. You you can kill someone with a gun, any gun without any license. And it's legal (the gun part).

3D printers could sucessfully print a weapon and this guy shot with it.

Don't believe me? Watch this!

(Un)Fortunately, 3D printers are very very expensive (or so i hear in the big bang theory)

Thoughts?

I can see major DRM for 3D printers becoming a thing, if 3D printers really break out into the mainstream.

HAHA i watched the big bang episode with the 3d printer was really good!!

I can only foresee bad things happening with this. I can't think of a legitimate reason why a law abiding citizen needs a weapon that fires live rounds. If you like shooting for sport, go to a centre, or get a BB gun. If you just like guns, just buy a prop or a cast model..

I can only foresee bad things happening with this. I can't think of a legitimate reason why a law abiding citizen needs a weapon that fires live rounds. If you like shooting for sport, go to a centre, or get a BB gun. If you just like guns, just buy a prop or a cast model..

In case of non law-abiding citizens... which is why I plan to get a conceal-carry permit when I'm 21. >_>

Some people like me enjoy having the equivalent of a gun range (my dad even makes tannerite explosive targets) in their backyard, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case of non law-abiding citizens... which is why I plan to get a conceal-carry permit when I'm 21. >_>

Some people like me enjoy having the equivalent of a gun range (my dad even makes tannerite explosive targets) in their backyard, though.

Having a range in your backyard sounds like a great way to let off steam!

Now that I think about it, it's not like we don't already have gun problems here in the UK, despite having strict gun laws (I can't even buy a movie prop Pulse Rifle from ALIENS, it's that strict). It's probably not that big of a deal in the states, since you guys can legally buy firearms anyway (and I'm guessing they're cheaper than a 3D printer).

3D printers will always be expensive as ****, therefore this "risk" from "cheap" guns is virtually nil.

Having a range in your backyard sounds like a great way to let off steam!

Now that I think about it, it's not like we don't already have gun problems here in the UK, despite having strict gun laws (I can't even buy a movie prop Pulse Rifle from ALIENS, it's that strict). It's probably not that big of a deal in the states, since you guys can legally buy firearms anyway (and I'm guessing they're cheaper than a 3D printer).

On the flipside, bladed weapons are EXTREMELY easy to purchase. I'm a collector of swords, spears, battleaxes, daggers, shields, anything and everything to do with melee combat. I currently own 16 different edged weapons, four were purchased physically; one from an auction-house, one from a souvenir store and two (my first two actually) from a curio store. I have carried three in public for either transport reasons, or for college use (I was a Media major). I have never needed to provide any form of identification, even for my first pair which I purchased at the age of fourteen. I've also purchased a pair of 17th century flintlock pistols without needing to identify my age or reason for purchase. Our laws aren't all that strict, honestly.

The use of a 3D-printed weapon is obviously going to primarily be malicious. A weapon which is effectively a single-use fire and forget model, that features no serial number and no way to track the maker/owner? It's an idiotic invention and it will backfire.

Back