What's new

Hey, C'mon- At Least The MINUMUM equipment, Huh?

Some people bring their own discs because they need a "security blanket" before they leave home.

Until they get quite familiar with a show's library, they want to make sure that they have NOT ONLY the song they want to sing but the "CORRECT" version that they are used to singing.

Even when I don't have my deck with me, I have two pieces of software that will play CDG's. If my built in CD-rom drive isn't working, I have an external CD-rom drive that I can use.

I find that there is absolutely no downside to accommodating discs. Though, frankly, I'd rather not deal with them simply because they "get in my way"!

I've been to shows where literally everyone has their own discs; it's quite common around here.

I actually play karaoke host once a year at a July 4th picnic. The client provides the home system and I just hook the sound through my system. People ask me if I have such and such song and I tell them look in the box. :)

I have a video on my computer I call, "Why Karaoke Should Be Outlawed" from the last event. lol

Tom if you ever want to try it i am not that far from you! :sqwink:

Tom if you ever want to try it i am not that far from you! :sqwink:

Ya know, maybe in the off season and if things slow down at work, I may take you up on that. Right now I work third shift and 10 - 11 hours at a time. It's just to much, but I need to support 4 people. Me, the wife, her mom and grand dad.

I hope you don't mind me adding my $0.02.

I've been hosting karaoke since the 90's. I have made the conversion to digital. I still purchase CD's and use Audiograbber to convert them.

I have over 45,000 songs. Out of these, I only have about 21,000 unique titles. I print my books without a reference to the manufacturer due to space constraints. My books look very professional with heavy laminated covers and plastic binding combs. However, even when I only print about 21000 songs, the books are quite large, requiring the largest comb binding.

I use RoxBox for karaoke. I tried PCDJ KJ Pro, but I had issues when I upgraded to Windows Vista and I never bothered with it again. RoxBox has been rock-solid for me, and I've been using it for about 5 years. One of the reasons I purchased RoxBox was their built-in book creator. I can choose to include/exclude duplicates and I can choose to print Disc reference or not. But with the large collection I have, I've opted NOT to print them out. I do have MULTIPLE books (usually 4-5) at a gig. Surprisingly enough, most people prefer the books by artist, so I have more books by artist than I do by title.

When a singer makes a request, I usually will select what I feel is the best version of the song they want to sing. No, I don't know all 21,000 songs, but after 15 years, I can usually guess which brands are better. If a singer asks me for "another version" I am happy to accommodate their request. Most of my singers trust my judgment, but some are married to a specific brand and/or song.

If a singer asks me which version of a song I have, I will show him/her. They also love to see the screen and see all I have going on.

As far as the key changer... I use Pacemaker and I don't have problems with it. HOWEVER.... I always avoid doing a change of key beyond 2 steps. After that, it really sounds like CARP. Yes, I misspelled that.

If a singer insists they have to change the song more than 2 steps either way... I will do it, but I will let them know that it will change the sound fidelity tremendously. Especially with subs and a bi-amped sound system. I also have my key changer configured to change in full steps, not just half steps. This helps tremendously, because I always divide by 2. They want it down 4, that's -2 in my system.

Now, I agree that the rest of the equipment is substandard. There's no excuse for not having a professional (even a simple behringer) multi-channel mixer with effects and multiple microphones. To me, the addition of a singer's audio monitor and the multiple wireless microphones is one of the best things about my sound system. I never hear a complaint about a singer not being able to hear him/herself... and I run them through a separate mix, as an AUX out.

When someone brings me a CD, I ask them if they are willing to use one of my versions of the song. About 50% of the time I already have it. When one of my regulars brings a brand new CD that I don't already have, I rip the track they want and add it to a special folder that I have reserved for them. The song doesn't become part of my collection. It's something I do to accommodate their requests. It's rather time consuming and I'm trying to avoid this in the future. Therefore, I'm considering buying an inexpensive vocopro dual CD+G player for this.

Back