What's new

huge fire in Bridgeport.right next to our family business

focadima

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
the huge warehouse fire in bridgeport is right a cross narrow alley type road from our family business. my dh and fil and bil just ran down there. looks like according to reports our building is on fire too :(

so sorry to hear this. I hope they get it out quick with the least amount of damage

One-third of the Chicago Fire Department's on-duty personnel has responded to a 5-11 alarm fire that has engulfed two warehouse buildings, causing part of one to collapse, in the Bridgeport neighborhood Tuesday night.

A four-story building caught fire after 9 p.m. and then jumped to another building, according to the Chicago Fire Department. Extra alarms, bringing more fire equipment, firefighters and paramedics were called shortly after firefighters arrived.
The commander used two 'special alarms' to call for additional equipment, firefighters and paramedics beyond what a 5-11 alarm calls for.

“I’m looking at the south side of the main fire building and there’s a big portion of exterior wall and roof collapse,” said Firefighter Meg Ahlheim, a Chicago Fire Department spokeswoman.

There was “extreme fire” throughout the buildings. Nobody has been reported injured.

The fire in the second building was mostly extinguished as of about 10:25 p.m. but the first building is "still involved," Ahlheim said.

The special alarm is "extremely rare" according to the Chicago Fire Department. About 200 firefighters and paramedics are at the scene.

The alarms normally escalate one at a time beyond a normal fire response, though the scene commander skipped a fourth alarm once the fire jumped to another building.

There were at least one other 5-11 fire in 2012 - in Avondale on the Northwest Side. That burned for hours but didn't required the special alarms called for Tuesday night's fire.

Check back for more information.

is this your building?

not sure..article on one of the station's website mentioned our building by address 3801 Ashland dh just got there a little bit ago

I am guessing it was a homeless person who started the fire..building has been empty a long time

I'm so sorry Lisa. Hopefully there's not too much damage.

I'm so sorry, Lisa. Please keep us updated. :huggy: Hopefully your damage will be minimal.

Sorry Lisa, hope your family business is safe :hug:

hoping your building wasn't damaged.... :huggy:

Lisa, sorry to hear about the fire. I hope there was very minimal damage.

Sorry to hear about this. I hope no one was injured and that insurance will take care of everything.

I have pics I will post as soon as i get them loaded up--we got a little damage--area right where dh works is totally water damages ( it faces the warehouse that was on fire)

then the showroom got some damage as well--still waiting to hear from dh--a lot of wondows on that side of the building are gone

Back