What's new

huge fire in Bridgeport.right next to our family business

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It has to be so stressful. Thank God it did not happen while people were at work. My mom was asking if it was the old gum factory. I had no idea. I hope everything is taken care of for you, with minimal effort from you.

nope wrigleys is at 35th.this was 37th/38th

We drove by that area last night (DH's office is on 43rd St) and thought of you and your family business. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope things will go back to normal soon :grouphug:

So sorry that this happened to your family business. May the insurance $ come through quickly.

I read this morning that they think it was arson and that it rekindled again today :pout:

I'm so sorry :huggy:

Everytime I hear Chicago news there are updating about this fire. Sad. I can't even imagine being so involved in it.

Just thought I would share this
so building has been burning ( yes still smoking/burning) for 3 weeks
today DH found this--funny from 1973 and pretty much in perfect shape considering..

WP_20130212_002_zps5be48cf9.jpg

focadima what is it? :dunce:

How are you guys doing? Insurance taking care of things? Do you guys need anything?

yep a pay stub from the company.

as for recovery--the professional clean up crew ( fire/smoke/water etc...) says they will be done by Friday--Dh is not so sure--they vacuumed every surface and wiped down what couldn’t be vacuumed -they have also had air cleaning machines running for weeks. EVERYTHING was tossed--all inventory, all packaging, all raw goods. The insurance company along with dh' s dad/uncle went along with them to count and give dollar amount--they were allowed per insurance policy 600,000-yeah they went over that number ( business has been around since before WWII ) anyway its no where back to normal slow and steady I suppose..

Not to mention loss of income :( Will they rebuild at same location??? Sorry I don't remember if they own the building or not, but doesn't seem like $600,000. is gonna go very far or is that ## just for content?? signed nosey :)

Not to mention loss of income :( Will they rebuild at same location??? Sorry I don't remember if they own the building or not, but doesn't seem like $600,000. is gonna go very far or is that ## just for content?? signed nosey :)

There's is not the building that totally fell down, it's the one next door. So they won't have to rebuild, just a hell of a lot of clean up and repairs. I think.

exactly blonditz

there is 3 mil insurance on building itself
600,000 was on inside stuff

but it was COLD that week of the fire--the water got into nooks of the building that water never gets into--and it froze--some serious damage to the limestone at the top of the building

Is the building going to be safe or is your DH looking for another space?

no, building should be fine--its just the north-side that has most damage as well as part of the roof ( the heat from the fire melted a lot of the tar/rubber on top and on edges)

Back