What's new

Is POKER a sport?

No, it's not. If we go by this way of thinking, soon masturbating will be a sport.

I'm just saying that all kinds of sports requires physical effort. But not all things that need you to exert effort are considered sports. There's a difference.

I don't see a reason why not, although it is more like a hobby.

To me, sports require physical skill, strength, and endurance. Poker doesn't even come close to having any of these attributes.
There is nothing worse than turning on ESPN and seeing "the World Series of Poker" , or something along those lines. Don't get me wrong! Personaly, I love to play poker. It's a great way to compete with your friends and maybe even leave with more money than you came with.
But considering poker to be a sport is frivolous.

Poker is a very fun hobby, but no I wouldnot consider it a sport. A sport requires training and working on your body and mind.

To me, sports require physical skill, strength, and endurance. Poker doesn't even come close to having any of these attributes.
There is nothing worse than turning on ESPN and seeing "the World Series of Poker" , or something along those lines. Don't get me wrong! Personaly, I love to play poker. It's a great way to compete with your friends and maybe even leave with more money than you came with.
But considering poker to be a sport is frivolous.

I totally agree with you. Poker is more of a pastime for me than sports.

It depends on what is your definition of a sport. For me, a sport is a game that have exact definite rules, played by thousands of people. There are sports that have not been even heard by most people but if it has definite rules, played by thousands of people then it can be called a sport in my opinion.

It depends on what is your definition of a sport. For me, a sport is a game that have exact definite rules, played by thousands of people. There are sports that have not been even heard by most people but if it has definite rules, played by thousands of people then it can be called a sport in my opinion.
What about competitiveness?

Hey the world is getting lazier and less active all the time. Deal with it! The day will come when activities/games such as Poker and chess will ne considered a sport.

We've seen hot dog eating contests on ESPN. We've seen spelling bees. Brace for it, someday these will be viewed as sports too.

I very much agree. I have not looked up the definition of "sport", but there must be some kind of physical activity included for something to be considered a sport. Poker is definitely a game.

Hey the world is getting lazier and less active all the time. Deal with it! The day will come when activities/games such as Poker and chess will ne considered a sport.

We've seen hot dog eating contests on ESPN. We've seen spelling bees. Brace for it, someday these will be viewed as sports too.

It is sad, but I have to agree. With everything that they show on ESPN is getting a little out hand. Don't they even show cheerleading competitions on ESPN. I think I have seen that a few times on there. And cheerleading is not a sport either.

I very much agree. I have not looked up the definition of "sport", but there must be some kind of physical activity included for something to be considered a sport. Poker is definitely a game.

Yeah I just can't consider something that has no physical requirements a sport. Poker's great, but it's definitely a game in my opinion.

I love Poker, i love watching/playing/reading and all aspects of it, but im afraid i can not class it as a sport.

A enjoyable pastime, yes, a sport, no.

You can get a paper cut from playing cards. If you can get hurt doing it, it's a sport in my book.

You can get a paper cut from playing cards. If you can get hurt doing it, it's a sport in my book.

Well, thats one way of looking at it.

I once tore some skin during an intense masturbation session, does that count?

Gosh, I hope you were able to finish the game without having to be carried off on a stretcher.

Try using lotion next time.

What about competitiveness?

is poker not competitive? Or are they just throwing cards at each other? People consider events/game as a sport and some not but that does not mean that people who don't consider some game a sport can interfere or mock people on what they consider a sport.

We all consider boxing as a sport but almost always boxing is not for personal glory but for money. It is the same with poker. It is also not for personal glory but for money.

With my lax criteria for what a sport is, yes. :eek4:

I would have to agree that it is not a sport. I kind of think that a sport is anything that requires physical activity.

Even though you have to have strategy, techniques, and talent to succeed in poker it is not technically a sport.

And not everything on ESPN is a sport some are "Activities" lol ;)

Back