What's new

Items to have on hand

If you get a generator it is nice if it can be set up to kick on automatically if the power goes out. I have no idea how they do that or how to hook one up to begin with, but I remember once my dh setting one up for someone.

Making a 2012 survival kit???

Umm..........her DH recently passed away. :slap:

Momof2girls, you're very smart to be prepared ahead of time...........lots of great ideas here. Do you have neighbors you could call on IF you HAD to run out in the middle of the night?

cold hard cash, i can get all those other things i need from my neighbors with this or a smoking gun. happy thursday............................APRIL FOOLS. don't all you preppers already have all the stuffs

Stuff for stomach flu; gatorade/powerade, pedialite, laundry soap. Different Medicines such as allergy, cough, tylenol/headache. Hydrogen peroxide (for cleaning wounds). Large bandaids and butterfly bandaids. Medicine for burns
definitely agree with all on your list and the butterfly bandages are a must. i learned that lesson the "scarred"way. another thing i always insist on is that everyone plug in their cell phones as soon as they come home. and i have extra cell batteries for most of my phones. and i try to keep the gas tank full at all times to facilitate evacuation. i keep the car packed with most of these items so as to be able to fly by night. a to go bag in the car or near the front door. and good old fashioned paper maps in the car too.

These are all very good ideas.............. The one thing I usually have to run out for is Drano. DH will use it and then not tell me it needs to be replaced. Guess i'll have to buy a few extra bottles next time.

These are all very good ideas.............. The one thing I usually have to run out for is Drano. DH will use it and then not tell me it needs to be replaced. Guess i'll have to buy a few extra bottles next time.

thinking along plumbing lines......a plunger is a must! especially with kids

Just remember never ever use a plunger once you have poured in any Draino on a particular clog, far too dangerous.

If you have a plunger & plumber's snake you really shouldn't need to use Draino much at all.

thinking along plumbing lines......a plunger is a must! especially with kids
haha, i went fifteen years without even owning a plunger. and when ever i would visit any friends with a plunger in plain sight, i was thouroughly disgusted! ack!! and now that i have 3 kids, i am plunging the toilet at least once per day!!!! what the heck!!! i tell them to flush before using the toilet, and during if need be. buttttt! no! one girl will not flush at all for fear of overflowing or plugging, not helpful. and i have yet to discover which kid actually will use a used toilet on top of that. i am not happy, lol. and apparently the hubby does not know how to use a plunger. that i just discovered. fortunately he does know how to turn the water off in a jiffy. grrrrrrr. we never need drano, maybe cuz i do not pour fat in the sinks???

Just remember never ever use a plunger once you have poured in any Draino on a particular clog, far too dangerous.

If you have a plunger & plumber's snake you really shouldn't need to use Draino much at all.
i have one of those hair snaggy plastic thingys that slips down the drain to snag hair out. both my girls have brook shields type long heavy hair. maybe the fact that they use half a bottle of conditioner on each hair washing keeps the hair that gets washed down the drain extra schlipperrrry?

I never use Drano. Most drain clogs are either hair (shower/tub) or cooking grease, either of which is easier & more effective to clear with a snake. I do have a plumber's snake, but I usually use a plastic zip-snake, they sell them at Menards right by the registers. They are about $2. They look like a super-size zip-tie, about 2 feet long with little teeth on the plastic. Poke it in the drain, then pull out all the gunk.

Drano will not dissolve a substantial hair clog. What it will do is melt the hair together and attract soap residue to the hairball, making it even worse. It will eventually have to be manually removed.

If you brush your hair before entering the shower, you'll remove most of the loose hair before it gets a chance to wash down & clog the drain.

If you brush your hair before entering the shower, you'll remove most of the loose hair before it gets a chance to wash down & clog the drain.
yeah, lemme just get right on that and tell the kids that cannot flush the toilet properly to add that to the list of things they will ignore me that i told them,lol. i however will take that great bit of info and apply that to my hygeine regimen. thanks!!!

I never use Drano. Most drain clogs are either hair (shower/tub) or cooking grease, either of which is easier & more effective to clear with a snake. I do have a plumber's snake, but I usually use a plastic zip-snake, they sell them at Menards right by the registers. They are about $2. They look like a super-size zip-tie, about 2 feet long with little teeth on the plastic. Poke it in the drain, then pull out all the gunk.

Drano will not dissolve a substantial hair clog. What it will do is melt the hair together and attract soap residue to the hairball, making it even worse. It will eventually have to be manually removed.
thats the thingy i use too. sometimes i wish it were twice as long ;)

Back