What's new

Jammie Thomas-Rasset hit with $1.5 in damages

We could also add copyright infringement if we ever needed to or wanted to ammend our complaints, but Trademark is easier and "neater" with larger statutory fines.
Just curious, just what, exactly, was the last trademark case won, by whom, and what were the fines?
I suspect you'll have a hard time finding out, but if you do, I suspect that it will be either quite an old case (in other words, there haven't been any recent ones) or the "substantial fines" will be far less than you allude to.

On the contrary, many would like to see us seek or get something substantially greater SO THAT WE DO COMPLETELY WIPE OUT SOMEONE.

Punitive damages have never been intended as a form of enrichment.

Putting the HD sellers aside, you simply wouldn't be allowed to "wipe people out" when it comes to the KJs and their shows. Judicial precedent is not on your side, especially where you are pressing Trademark in a tiny niche market.

Despite the broad distribution potential of file-sharing each jury award in the cited case was set aside by the judge and reduced on the basis that even statutory damages must have some sembelence to actual damages.

A judge is unlikely to allow statutory damages to excced the demonstrable combined gross revenue of the product itself and the resulting infringrements.

Exactly my point in stating that the file sharing of 24 files pales in comparison to wholesale copying and commercial use of thousands of pirated files. Which is why we are quite confident that if one of our cases goes to court we will prevail. Don't forget that the crux of our case is the illegal and/or unauthorized copying of our content - and we are using the Trademark law as the basis for the suit. We could also add copyright infringement if we ever needed to or wanted to ammend our complaints, but Trademark is easier and "neater" with larger statutory fines.

If you file for Trademark and argue Copyright - why should I not expect your case to be dismissed?

Exactly my point in stating that the file sharing of 24 files pales in comparison to wholesale copying and commercial use of thousands of pirated files. Which is why we are quite confident that if one of our cases goes to court we will prevail. Don't forget that the crux of our case is the illegal and/or unauthorized copying of our content - and we are using the Trademark law as the basis for the suit. We could also add copyright infringement if we ever needed to or wanted to ammend our complaints, but Trademark is easier and "neater" with larger statutory fines.

How could you add copyright if you sold your catalog to Stingray Digital and retained only your trademark?

Just curious, just what, exactly, was the last trademark case won, by whom, and what were the fines?
I suspect you'll have a hard time finding out, but if you do, I suspect that it will be either quite an old case (in other words, there haven't been any recent ones) or the "substantial fines" will be far less than you allude to.

http://www.ameinfo.com/25260.html

http://onthebutton.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/trademark-infringement/#comments

Of particular interest..............below

http://thelegalbroadcastnetwork.squ...demark-infringement-case-against-payless.html

http://www.hedgefundsreview.com/hedge-funds-review/news/1800255/och-ziff-wins-trademark-infringement

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=120233

Did you even read your own links??

http://www.ameinfo.com/25260.html
Perhaps I should have specified that judgments from the UAE (United Arab Emirates) don't count, but that only AMERICAN judgments do.
http://onthebutton.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/trademark-infringement/#comments
Ummm this one didn't get to court. They were THREATENED with it, but backed down, Doesn't count.
Of particular interest..............below

http://thelegalbroadcastnetwork.squ...demark-infringement-case-against-payless.html
This is the only link that MAY have some bearing, only because they have VIGOROUSLY defended their trademark in the past, which is one of the requirements when holding trademarks and asking the courts to remedy such situations.Makes me wonder what the court would think about recent cases in the karaoke world. They might want to know how the trademark holder has gone about defending it in the past. At any rate, the defendants mentioned in the article intend to appeal it, so it ain't quite over yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see, won't we?
http://www.hedgefundsreview.com/hedge-funds-review/news/1800255/och-ziff-wins-trademark-infringement
Ummm I guess I should have specified that England doesn't count, either.
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=120233
And this one didn't see a court room, either, since it was SETTLED.

those are indeed trademark suits, but i mus disagree on relevance. in those cases, one company tried to fool people into thinking they were patronizing another company. bullfighter & red bull it is not red bull. a hundred monkeys & 100 monkeys, OCH & Och-Ziff, Payless using the ADIDAS stripes.
making it comparable would be me taking zoom tracks and putting a logo saying "A SOUND CHOICE" on a grand staff. it could easily be confused and that would be my intent, to gain sales through association. that is not what happens when i put my discs onto hard drive. i am showing the SC logo that was attached to a genuine SC track. i am leading people to believe that i am playing them an genuine SC track and so i am. no deception, not tricking them into thinking an inferior product was made by SC, nor am i attempting to take any sales away from SC, if anything, i am showing the karaoke singing public that SC has great tracks and if they want to buy quality tracks, they heard the real thing, good advertising for SC. sounds helpful to the manu, not harmful.
i was unaware of those suits you posted, interresting reads, good hunting sir.

The point is (and it is relevant) the copy is a copy and not the original (without the premission of the trademark owner) it is indeed a trademark violation.

The hunting took me all of 30 seconds every one of those were what came up on the first page of a google search of "trademark infringement" really didn't require any detailed search. There are many many more that I didn't even bother with posting which would count!

As far as defending the mark, when does that start?

Does it start when the owner makes a public statement that it is wrong and they will pursue violators.

Does it start when the owner makes an effort to defeat copying by adding a data track?

Does it start when an owner goes to the expense of adding mediaclog in an attempt to defeat copying?

Or does it start with the first suit they file against a violator?

Jammie Thomas-Rasset has appealed every single court decision she has had to date, it has only gotten worse each time she has done so.

The point is (and it is relevant) the copy is a copy and not the original (without the premission of the trademark owner) it is indeed a trademark violation.

The hunting took me all of 30 seconds every one of those were what came up on the first page of a google search of "trademark infringement" really didn't require any detailed search. There are many many more that I didn't even bother with posting which would count!

As far as defending the mark, when does that start?

Does it start when the owner makes a public statement that it is wrong and they will pursue violators.

Does it start when the owner makes an effort to defeat copying by adding a data track?

Does it start when an owner goes to the expense of adding mediaclog in an attempt to defeat copying?

Or does it start with the first suit they file against a violator?

Jammie Thomas-Rasset has appealed every single court decision she has had to date, it has only gotten worse each time she has done so.

The hunting took me all of 30 seconds
That was evident by the links you posted, all of which, save one (which may or may not be relevant) were irrelevant due to either not hitting a courtroom or by virtue of the fact that it was case law from another country! And even the one we have yet to see how it will play out.
Seriously, you can't possibly think that case law from OTHER COUNTRIES would have ANY bearing on case law in the US?
If you do, there's something seriously wrong.
As for when does defending the mark start?
When the judge in the case says it does.
Each case is evaluated on it's own merits by the judge, so there's really no telling until you hit a court room.
As for adding a data track and medicloq to prevent the copying of the discs, that is more a copyright issue and you cannot really use that unless you have enjoined a copyright suit as well.

Actually, I have already read that one, did you? The question was do you actually have any case law on the subject what you posted was an opinion piece that wasn't even written by a Judge nor can it be found in any of the Law resource reference books for the courts which are based on actual case results and standard practices, ie: Michies, Leah Sandwell-Weiss, Shannon Graff Hysell, etc.

Actually, I have already read that one, did you? The question was do you actually have any case law on the subject what you posted was an opinion piece that wasn't even written by a Judge nor can it be found in any of the Law resource reference books for the courts which are based on actual case results and standard practices, ie: Michies, Leah Sandwell-Weiss, Shannon Graff Hysell, etc.

Okay, these are "based on actual case results and standard practices":

The trademark holder does not have to send cease and desist letters to all infringers nor sue every infringer. The trademark holder needs only to be reasonable. If long periods of infringing use are not objected to, the trademark holder may experience difficulty in subsequently enforcing that mark. Therefore, policing the mark is a necessary part of trademark maintenance.
The normal course of conduct is the trademark holder sends a cease and desist letter to an offending user of a mark and objects to that usage.

REFERENCES:
Accurate Merchandising, Inc. v. American Pacific, 186 U.S.P.Q. (BNA) 197 (1975). This statute places an affirmative duty upon a licensor of a registered trademark, such as TELE-TENDER to take reasonable measures to detect and prevent misleading uses of his trademark by his licensees or suffer cancellation of his federal registration. 15 U.S.C. § 1064 provides that a trademark registration may be cancelled because the trademark has been ‘abandoned.’")

Wallpaper Mfrs., Ltd. V. Crown Wallcovering Corp. 680 F.2d 755 (CCAP 1982)

Hermes Int'l v. Lederer de Paris Fifth Avenue, Inc., 219 F.3d 104, 110 (2d Cir. 2000).

Ty Inc. v. Softbelly's, Inc., 353 F.3d 528, 531 (7th Cir. 2003)(For example, “Ty polices the use of ‘Beanie(s)’ vigorously by filing lawsuits, sending cease and desist letters, and opposing trademark applications for the will not cease use, an infringement or dilution law suit may result. This is the normal, rational course of conduct in trademark litigation.

Excuse me for butting in here, but I would really like to know the answer to these questions...

Is it morally right or morally wrong to use karaoke tracks that you have not paid for in a public performance?

Is it morally right or morally wrong to copy karaoke tracks made by someone else onto a hard drive and then make money by selling them or using them?

The answers to those questions should be very enlightening. If it is morally wrong, as I believe, why does the letter of the law even matter.

Excuse me for butting in here, but I would really like to know the answer to these questions...

Is it morally right or morally wrong to use karaoke tracks that you have not paid for in a public performance?

Is it morally right or morally wrong to copy karaoke tracks made by someone else onto a hard drive and then make money by selling them or using them?

The answers to those questions should be very enlightening. If it is morally wrong, as I believe, why does the letter of the law even matter.

I think you need to "back up one step" with these questions because all of these questions are making the assumption that everyone being caught up in the SC "sweeps" or "dragnet" or whatever you want to call it, is guilty. And by your own experience (as well as Skid, KJAthena and others) we know that is simply NOT true. You stated that you had the settlement agreement modified to reflect that you were NOT GUILTY of anything, isn't that correct?

So perhaps the question should be:

"Is it morally right or morally wrong to drag an innocent person into a lawsuit or simply accuse them of having stolen anything?"

Is it morally right or morally wrong to use karaoke tracks that you have not paid for in a public performance? I would say wrong, as everyone else has said before too.

Isn't this really the same question worded differently?

Because this debate and discussion is not about morality. It was about law. Its about law and tactics for getting payments when it may or may not be warranted among many other relevant post.

No it's not - you need something more. Where are the damages?

Here's my answers, and excuse me for getting a little technical here, but I do know what you're trying to get at.
It all depends on how you come about those tracks. I have several discs that I have not paid for in my collection and I DO use them in public performances, yet they are NOT pirated. How can that be,, you ask?
Because they were gifts. I didn't pay for them, but someone else did!
Is it morally right to use them? ABSOLUTELY!

I'm with Thunder Hag on the second question. It's essential the same as the first. However, if those tracks are copied by me, from my LEGAL collection, then YES! I WILL be using them. Selling them or distributing them? Not a chance. That's actually why I never let me hard drive leave my possession and why, when I do go multi-rig, it will be disc based only, just to help cut down on the theft possibility.

Also, I'm with Chip on his take on it as well. Your question is worded as such that you are assuming that all those accused are guilty.
How quickly we forget!

And I'm not even going to respond to Thunder's question because I was the one who asked it first, and he responded by posting totally irrelevant cases.
A waste of my time to bother.

Back