What's new

karaoke computer program?

MaDnEsS

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
What is a good computer program for running karaoke. I do not do it alot, but do get some calls and am not all digital, so I thought I would ask.

Also what do you need to go from the computer to the TV screen?

What is a good computer program for running karaoke. I do not do it alot, but do get some calls and am not all digital, so I thought I would ask.

Also what do you need to go from the computer to the TV screen?

I use Sax n Dottys and I use the S-Video output from my laptop to go out to the TV (You can use a Converter/modulator/adaptor for different types of connections between computer and TV). You have to change your display to extended desktop so the lyrics go out to the TV or you can also clone it. extended desktop is better. Hope this helps.

You are are going to get a LOT of opinions here, so I'll throw one in to. Like you, I don't do PC based shows often- I'm actually disc based. However, when I do, I use PCDJ/KJ. Very easy to use, and seems to cover my needs well.

As for interfacing with a monitor, if you are like most, you probably only have S-video out, so the above post is correct. Because I'm a bored EE, I modified my PC with a full range video card. I can go RCA, Cable, or S-video out with no adapters. I generally use the RCA.

And before you ask, I have no idea where you might BUY such a board. Mine came from a Matrix 1000 medical imaging monitor. However, I think you MAY be able to find one with an RCA out on the market. Joker?

Download and try the Sax n Dotty demo. I don't use it myself, but it seems to be very popular in my area. I may give it another looksee. I sang a song the other day and they were using Sax n Dotty, I asked for the key to be lowered 4 half steps and the music didn't sound distorted, that surprised me. The only downside is that Sax n Dotty is built on winamp which I don't like at all. Another one built on winamp is autokdj. It's free, Sax n Dotty is $60. Both programs use the Pacemaker plugin to change Key and Tempo.

Are you currently using a PC to playback your DJ music if so what program do you use?

Nothing wrong with Rockit but it doesn't have karaoke playback as you know.

There are a few things you need to know if you have never done or converted your karaoke to PC...

One, you need a cd-rom drive capable of ripping your discs to mp3+cdg (mp3+g) For that I would highly recomend Power CDG Burner from www.powerkaraoke.com It will cost you about $40.00 for the program but it beats most free programs hands down in ripping the cdg portion of the disc that being the graphics.

Two you will need to determin what program you want to use for playback which is the crux of this post. There are many good programs out there. If you want to host a full fledged karaoke show and allow the computer to do most of the work for you (ie maintaining your rotaitions), then AutOKdj + Winamp is the way to go. www.autokdj.com and www.winamp.com I would recomend these even if you don't really care about computerized rotations since both are free.

Third you need a PC capable of Dual Video output either through a S-Video port or VGA port.

Once you have landed on the program you wish to playback on you will need to follow the programs file naming convention. This can be discussed later as I don't want to bog you down with details at this point.

Other programs to look at in your quest:

Sax n Dotty
Roxbox
VDJ
OtsAV
Compuhost
MTU Hoster
PCDJ w/KJ plug in
Tricerasoft's Player

Good Luck!

Rockit doesn't do Karaoke and that's too bad, I probably would have bought it already. It would be great to have a really good program to do both Karaoke and DJ. I've asked Rick and he won't add Karaoke to Rockit. He's mentioned several times that he doesn't like Karaoke and has no intention of adding it to Rockit.

I used to use Sax-N-Dotty, but switched to Karma after one day of trial use.

http://www.latshawsystems.com/ProductDetails_Karma.aspx

At least download it and try it out. In trial mode, everything works, except you're limited to 5 singers in the rotation and 5 songs in the playlist. Take 5 minutes to read the help file. There are some really cool features that you might miss.

:sqwink:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM "TRICERSOFT" they are ripoff artist!

Audio Grabber probably works as godd or better than anything else on the market today for ripping your CDGs. MP3+G toolz for zipping the files if you use a program that requires them to be zipped. Both are free!

I'm on a Mac.

I use kTunes and a Plextor drive to rip.

On a side note, I use the internal DVD drive and HandBrake to rip music videos.

It all plays thru MegaSeg, with the video going to the video output jack on the side of my Mac.

I'm on a Mac.

I use kTunes and a Plextor drive to rip.

On a side note, I use the internal DVD drive and HandBrake to rip music videos.

It all plays thru MegaSeg, with the video going to the video output jack on the side of my Mac.

Audio Grabber probably works as godd or better than anything else on the market today for ripping your CDGs. MP3+G toolz for zipping the files if you use a program that requires them to be zipped. Both are free!

Why do you say this?

Say what that Audio Grabber works as good or better than anything on the market? Or that MP3G tools is a great zipping program.

OK I will go with audio grabber first!

It is pretty much idiot proof when it comes to function and being user friendly. I have tried three other programs and found that it required heavy reading and then forum help to get them to work properly, NONE was required with Audio Grabber it just work and worked right as soon as it was downloaded.

Ease of use with MP3 Toolz it just works without any fuss or frett!

If we are talking strictly about ripping tools then I would have to say Power CDG Burner beats them all hands down... including Audiograbber..... it will cost ya $40.00 but it's well worth it. Also it works with just about any CD Burner on the market you can't say that about Audiograbber or any of the others. Graphic rips are dead perfect unless there is a defect with the disc or you try to rip too fast.

As for playback.... I am biased towards Winamp + AutOKdj.... but would recommend trying out as many as you can before deciding on which platform to play from.

Audio Grabber works with any CD reader that is capable of reading CDG I think you will find that is the case on all of the programs used to rip CDG if the reader doesn't read CDG the program can't rip them. With Audio Grabber I have used Plextor, HP, Sony and Hatachi all have worked fine without issues with the exception of damaged disc.

Why do you say this?
Say what?
I think Sarge was referring to your comment about Tricersoft.

If we are talking strictly about ripping tools then I would have to say Power CDG Burner beats them all hands down... including Audiograbber..... it will cost ya $40.00 but it's well worth it. Also it works with just about any CD Burner on the market .

Rob, do you mead this works even for burners not originally set up for CDG?

I guess what I'm asking is that if you pick up a standard Dell or such laptop, the software will allow you to rip CDG to a standard burner?

Back