What's new

Karaoke Rentals? Really?

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I have been receiving calls from people who have mistaken me for a place to rent a machine...

This is something that I can't figure out. Even if someone rents a machine, what about music? The rentals usually come with some sort of small assortment, but it can't be much of a selection, can it? Then, who gets stuck playing KJ at the party? Hopefully, at least, the asst. discs come with a book of some sort, but probably only one. However, if some folks bring their own, a lot of time is wasted looking... I'm not even going to bother bringing up sound....

I have actually booked a parties by asking these questions, but what of the poor folks who don't get it? Sometimes I just dunno.....

We rented a machine once. Came with 500 CDs... But no master book or list.

Mike

I used to rent out a system (it stayed booked almost every week) for $120 a day this included the entire Pioneer CDG library (with two books) the problem(s) with it were disc were scratched up and missing 2 out of 5 times it went out, when the Pioneer disc became impossible to replace the system stopped being rented out!

The system had a VOCOPRO mixer, compressor, Pioneer V10, two mics 200 watt amp and a pair the Fender Passport (extra speakers, these are the ones that look exactly like the passport but there is no amp in the box). The Mixer, Amp, Player and compressor were all in a pretty much idiot proof box (the compressor was set and installed inside the box) there were two 1/4 inch speaker connections, one RCA video out and one EIC power plug on the back and no way to get inside the box without taking it apart. I required a $100 Security deposit along with the days rental rate (to cover lost and damaged disc mics and or speakers etc.)

It made me money every year for 5 straight years and will still play today. Although the mixer has been repaired probably 5 or 6 times.

I don't know why it was so popular but most of the time the same people rented it year after year!

I used to rent out a system (it stayed booked almost every week) for $120 a day this included the entire Pioneer CDG library (with two books) the problem(s) with it were disc were scratched up and missing 2 out of 5 times it went out, when the Pioneer disc became impossible to replace the system stopped being rented out!

The system had a VOCOPRO mixer, compressor, Pioneer V10, two mics 200 watt amp and a pair the Fender Passport (extra speakers, these are the ones that look exactly like the passport but there is no amp in the box). The Mixer, Amp, Player and compressor were all in a pretty much idiot proof box (the compressor was set and installed inside the box) there were two 1/4 inch speaker connections, one RCA video out and one EIC power plug on the back and no way to get inside the box without taking it apart. I required a $100 Security deposit along with the days rental rate (to cover lost and damaged disc mics and or speakers etc.)

It made me money every year for 5 straight years and will still play today. Although the mixer has been repaired probably 5 or 6 times.

I don't know why it was so popular but most of the time the same people rented it year after year!

Well, so you know, these people would have an orgasm with that system. They were talking about a Legends Venturer all-in-one...40 watts of pure power...:sqerr:

If i were better at sales, I could probably rent out my system when its not being used.

The only problem is the deposit i'd have to charge to cover the discs. 30% of my collection can't be replaced anymore.

If it was just a private thing, i suppose i could just rent them the hard drive but then that might end up opening a whole different can of worms.. hmmmm

i dunno

We rent our karaoke system. The computer is a rack mounted. They have 8,000 karaoke songs and 10k dj songs to choose from. There is a book for the karaoke songs, but all can be easily looked up on computer.

Computer, 2 mics, powered speakers. We set it up, show you how to use it, pick it up after the event.

have 2 rentals booked for December. One of them has booked for 4 years straight.

We rent our karaoke system. The computer is a rack mounted. They have 8,000 karaoke songs and 10k dj songs to choose from. There is a book for the karaoke songs, but all can be easily looked up on computer.

Computer, 2 mics, powered speakers. We set it up, show you how to use it, pick it up after the event.

have 2 rentals booked for December. One of them has booked for 4 years straight.

I dunno. If I was setting up, breaking down, picking up, delivering, and training for use, I'm not sure if the difference in what I would charge for that and doing the event would be worthwhile....

Scott,

I wouldn't do it ( pc rental) unless I was absolutely sure the Hard Drive was tamper proof!

I do an occasional cdg system rental though.

I need to get a better rental agreement/contract too.

Lee

JoeChartreuse said:
I dunno. If I was setting up, breaking down, picking up, delivering, and training for use, I'm not sure if the difference in what I would charge for that and doing the event would be worthwhile....

Set up and break down takes minutes, training takes about 10 minutes. Works for me and I get repeat customers.

For example, the one I have on the 12th, I am dropping off the system, then going to do a wedding and then picking up the system the next day.

$250 more than I would have for having the system sit in my garage.

Total time including drive time for me is about an hour.

Mantis1 said:
Scott,

I wouldn't do it ( pc rental) unless I was absolutely sure the Hard Drive was tamper proof!

I do an occasional cdg system rental though.

I need to get a better rental agreement/contract too.

Lee

That's an option. I am not going to turn down rentals.

I have a system I recently put together just for rentals. It's cdg based, not computer. The reason for that is that there is no way to protect my files from being copied. They have my system overnight usually and that's more than enough time to make a copy of my hard drive.
If anyone knows of a way to lock the hard drive from being copied while still allowing files to be accessed for play, let me know, as I have been researching it for the last year or so, and have come up with zilch in that regard.
With my rental system, I made back up copies of all the discs, and that is what I send out with the system. The originals are safely stored away, and should the back ups be damaged or stolen, I have the originals ready to rip. I also have included a note in the front of the MASTER book (Master book is for the acting KJ to use. I have 4 others for guests to look at) that the discs are back up copies and NOT pirated and should the user wish to view the originals to verify legality, they are more than welcome to do so. All they need to do is ask.
Part of my rental agreement states that if discs are damaged or stolen (I'm more concerned with stolen), there will be a charge of $20.00 per disc. This is to help deter the possibility of someone figuring they can steal my discs and get a basically free (or cheap) karaoke library. If they know they will have to pay close to the price of the original discs, they are less likely to try and steal them.
To be clear, the discs used for this system are NOT part of my other system, although I may have a disc or two that overlap, but in such a case, I own TWO copies of the disc, one for the disc system and one for the computer system.

Build a box for the system and make sure the hard drive is sealed inside the box, along with the back of the computer. Turn off any front USB ports and password lock the configuration settings or simply unplug any USB ports not used by the hard drive from the inside of the computer. Put a clause in the rental contract that opening the case will result in a $500 damage claim!

The only software with locking ability to the computer the software is on is RoxBox.

I like the idea of a box, however, I run laptops....

You can do pass word protected administration I would assume that would cover configuration as well!

But I am a computer dummy and don't really know much about it.

one of my first experiences with karaoke was renting a system for a private party. I think it ran about $100 and that included 10 or 15 discs of our choice; there were probably about 100 discs to choose from. A song list came with each selected disc. The discs appeared to be pretty scratched but I don't think we had a problem with any of them at the party. And everyone who wanted to sing found at least one song from the discs I had selected. We had to pick up and return the system. The machine was a Singing Machine player designed for home use!

Back