What's new

Karma Basics

The reply is priceless.... "We do that intentionally because, doing other things slows down the load..."

I paraphrased that but in essense it's not something they are concerned with changing anytime soon... either due to laziness or just the inability to see folks using their high end computers for anything else.

I can understand the logic if you are using computers that just barely meet the minimum to even run the program but, some folks like me have computers that can actually multi-task.

I'll shoot that question right back.... Why not use the computer for, oh I don't know, DJ software while it's loading?

Well, once again from a programmer's point of view:

If you're dj program is already loaded and you're playing a song, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, if you are using your dj program to load up songs to play, making a playlist or anything else, that would be a no-no.

Here's why:

When programs load, they are allocating and setting aside memory to reserve and use. If that memory space is changing, then it will actually take longer to load and worse, have a non-contiguous memory space to work in... resulting in wasted memory, inefficient usage and basically memory might have areas that end up getting locked out of any program... or end up with "memory leaks." Not the kind of leak that you're thinking of, but a kind of error when it goes to access a memory location.

Rule of thumb when starting a number of programs at the same time: Start the program that uses the MOST memory first and the one with the least memory usage LAST. This will make the best usage of the memory available to all the programs.

But in my case, all I want to do is read a web page that was already up. Very annoying to have a massive splash screen hog everything, not to mention the hidden error screen mentioned before!

Well, once again from a programmer's point of view:

If you're dj program is already loaded and you're playing a song, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, if you are using your dj program to load up songs to play, making a playlist or anything else, that would be a no-no.

Here's why:

When programs load, they are allocating and setting aside memory to reserve and use. If that memory space is changing, then it will actually take longer to load and worse, have a non-contiguous memory space to work in... resulting in wasted memory, inefficient usage and basically memory might have areas that end up getting locked out of any program... or end up with "memory leaks." Not the kind of leak that you're thinking of, but a kind of error when it goes to access a memory location.

Rule of thumb when starting a number of programs at the same time: Start the program that uses the MOST memory first and the one with the least memory usage LAST. This will make the best usage of the memory available to all the programs.

Now that makes perfect sense... why he couldn't be bothered to explain it other than the short sentence basically leaving me with a feeling of "this is how it is, like it or not.... now leave us alone" that was the vibe I got from his reply.

Just for S&G I did a speed test on my laptop to see how fast Karma loads...

PC Asus 2.0ghz , 4GB Ram, 1GB video, 5200rpm 250GB hdd, running Vista 32bit home.

Other programs running:
FileZilla: Uploading files
Windows Explorer with two websites loaded
Virtual DJ running an AutoMix playlist
MSN Messanger
Other verious programs in the background

From click to useable karma took a whopping 20.69 seconds to load completely.

I'm pretty sure most of us can withstand a 20 second wait time... :winkpill:

Just for S&G I did a speed test on my laptop to see how fast Karma loads...

PC Asus 2.0ghz , 4GB Ram, 1GB video, 5200rpm 250GB hdd, running Vista 32bit home.

Other programs running:
FileZilla: Uploading files
Windows Explorer with two websites loaded
Virtual DJ running an AutoMix playlist
MSN Messanger
Other verious programs in the background

From click to useable karma took a whopping 20.69 seconds to load completely.

I'm pretty sure most of us can withstand a 20 second wait time... :winkpill:

That is actually a very long time to load. I'm sure that a good portion of that is Vista just trying to move it's own big butt out of the way, but it's still a long time. Especially with the websites there... Explorer or Firefox allocate memory as they need it so loading anything else has to work around their constantly changing state.

Just as an experiment, try starting karma first, don't start anything else until it's done and let me know how long it takes... if it doesn't change by at least 5 seconds then I'd put the blame on Karma.

Here is my kiosk program starting up in only 4 seconds on a Win '98 machine with a Pentium 166, a 3gb drive and only 640k ram:

Click here for a 55 second video.

That is actually a very long time to load. I'm sure that a good portion of that is Vista just trying to move it's own big butt out of the way, but it's still a long time. Especially with the websites there... Explorer or Firefox allocate memory as they need it so loading anything else has to work around their constantly changing state.

Just as an experiment, try starting karma first, don't start anything else until it's done and let me know how long it takes... if it doesn't change by at least 5 seconds then I'd put the blame on Karma.

Here is my kiosk program starting up in only 4 seconds on a Win '98 machine with a Pentium 166, a 3gb drive and only 640k ram:

Click here for a 55 second video.

I don't think it's that long.... hell PhotoShop CS5 takes as long to load....

Joker thank you very much for taking the time to load the tutorials. DH and I decided to try Karma after rave reviews from other KJ's using it. We had stumbled tru the basics but the uploads you made have made it easier to get the fine points. We switched from Sax-n-Dotties as we were told it was a better sound and easier to use with bumper music:biggrinpill:

Latest release (2011)just addressed the issue!

Splash screen, Media Object, Playlist Object, and other secondary forms are no longer set as "topmost" so other windows may appear on top of them

Back