What's new

Laptop

bluediamond

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my laptop got really hot, so.. close it. Windows 7 started up, then error. Then everything on my laptop went black with a line on the upper left flashing. I had my son find out what the problem was and he told me that i removed a important document from it. I was sure lucky my son knew what to do, it took him over 6 hours to find out and program everything back again. lesson learned, never remove something off without being sure what i am removing.

My guess would be that your laptop overheated and shut down to protect itself.

My son say i removed important document, it took hours of search to find a source to fix it.

I'd say it over-heated too
do you have vents on the back of your laptop?
My mom does this, but make sure you're not using your laptop on a blanket or something, and covering up the vents.

There isn't much space in a laptop, they over-head easily.

I am using a blanket from getting burned from the heat. When i was going to shut off my laptop, window 7 was ready to prepare my system when Error pop up for a moment, then everything went black with a line flashing up on the left side. I let my laptop cool down before restarting it again and when i did it was still black. When my son got up during the night, i told him what happen. After hours of research, he was told i removed something off, which was very important. There was only one free place that help him restore what i did when i removed it. Never again will i remove controls on my system again just to have more free space.

Yes its dong much better now, still slow through.

If you open the Windows Help and Support center (using Start -> Help or something), then you can use the built-in help system of Windows. It can also help you with problems. If I'm not mistaken, you can even ask it questions and it'll try to find an answer for you.

For instance, Windows has a built-in cleaning service that removes non-essential stuff from your computer without putting it into danger.

But that's just one of many things you can do to improve system performance on Windows.

I don't really need Windows, so I'm using Linux most of the time, which I'm perfectly happy with.

When i ask my son for help he will get mad, then if i do something on my own, he will get upset when i remove or put something not safe. I have a cheap $200 laptop with a very slow internet.

My internet is so slow, and it will freeze up on me even when i let it cool down.

Might take the keyboard off or have your son do it (or a shop) and make sure the fins around the processor are cleared out.

My son would not know how to do this with my laptop. With 5 connections to the internet is why my son say it slow, and also because i am away from the main PC that my son has in his room.

My son would not know how to do this with my laptop. With 5 connections to the internet is why my son say it slow, and also because i am away from the main PC that my son has in his room.
It wouldn't be tied to a computer, but rather a wireless router.
The internet wouldn't slow the computer itself down, it may slow the speed you can surf down but that's it.

If you have WiFi (i.e. when the network data is transferred via radio rather than cable), network speeds can drop when you move away from the wireless router. I know someone who's always having trouble with their WiFi. I'm always using cable connected networks, which don't suffer from speed problems. (except when my media receiver is recording, but that's b/c it uses a fixed bandwidth)

I was facing the same problem with my Compaq laptop. I got rid to this problem by installing heat sink in the motherboards. Take your laptop to computer hardware shop & ask them to install Heat sink.

Well, I think we're all overlooking a crucial point here. A $200 laptop is simply not powerful enough to run windows 7 optimally.

Aslo:
Never again will i remove controls on my system again just to have more free space.

This also shines a bit of light on the situation. If you have to delete files to make room, obviously your CPU is running at a high capacity. Her computer would probably be pretty freakin hot all the time, and slow as hell since CPU's slow down when overheated.

My advice? Get a new computer. Or install an older version of windows. I would recommend Tiny Xp. It's free if you pirate it. Ask your son. He probably knows.

I would recommend Tiny Xp. It's free if you pirate it. Ask your son. He probably knows.

It's a bad idea to recommend people to use pirated software. Not only is that illegal, but a pirated copy of Windows per se is less secure by orders of magnitude, b/c 1. you're not eligible to get updates from Microsoft, 2. you open yourself up to all kinds of malware, viruses and botnet infections. A pirated installation of Windows is every cyber-criminal's dream: "Ah, a new computer for the botnet!"

Only legitimate copies of Windows (available from Microsoft ) are relatively secure.

For a free operating system that is legal, see the various Linux distributions, like Fedora, Debian or Ubuntu.

My son say that having a cheap $200 laptop is not able to store alot of memory. Golden Rule..never bite the hand that feed us..in other words, i am thankful for my son buying me a laptop. Lesson Learn..never delete anything important. My internet still is slow, and will freeze up on me.

Back