What's new

Mini-Notebook For My Master Song Book Only?

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find an inexpensive mini ( 7-9" screen ) to use for my master song book only, instead of carrying the monster.

I think I found the perfect solution, but I can't seem to find full info on it anywhere. I found it in a catalogue, but that company can't help me with any tech knowledge.

It's called e-GO mini-notebook, made by a company called Augen. Technically it's an internet device with built in Wi-Fi, but it also includes software for things like WordPad, Outlook, PowerPoint Viewer, Excel, and other things. No disc drive, just USB. 7" screen, and only 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" x 1-1/4" and weighs 1.5 lbs.

I have 2 questions and no answers:

1) How much memory on the HD ( I actually only need less than a gig for my app)?

2) Even more important: It runs on Windows CE. Will my KJ Pro book software be compatible? I would think so, since it runs Excel, but not sure.

Any help greatly appreciated, especially for #2

If I can't google it.......

Why not an Acer one, or inexpensive netbook?

I have seen them (the minis) on sale for a s low as $250. However, if you have or can find an old PDA, it should do the trick. Those things are considered quite useless now that phones can do all that and more.

You could probably find someone that would "give" you one.

Joe, I'm wondering if a small screen will do your customers any justice? You work a lot of bars right? I don't know if people with a few drinks in them will take well to squinting at a small screen.

That being said I have no experience with CE so I cannot comment on program compatibility. It's doubtful though as it's like a stripped down version of windows most programs are specifically written for the CE platform separately from the regular Windows variants.

If you do get a mini computer, make sure it has a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Security_Slot"]Kensington Security Slot[/ame] so you can tether it to your rig this way no one can walk off it with.

I just purchased from CompUSA an Acer 8" mini with 160gig HD, 1 gig ram, internet card, factory refurbished for $219.00 + $1.99 shipping. They only had 500 for sale. I figure why not take a chance.

If I can't google it.......

Why not an Acer one, or inexpensive netbook?

The Acer is about 100 bucks more, and this is for a single app- I just don't need all that the Acer can do. Another thing is the small size. That IS the reason I'm sticking the BIG book in the thing to begin with...

Joe, I'm wondering if a small screen will do your customers any justice? You work a lot of bars right? I don't know if people with a few drinks in them will take well to squinting at a small screen.

Dan, to clarify: The PC is not for customer use. I have plenty of books for them. It's just for me to use for look-ups. My master book is a double 6" binder, because it includes listings under Artist, Title, Disc#, and also includes my DJ listings the same way. It weighs a ton.

All of this info is already in my home PC for printing the books. It would take 5 minutes to copy to the little PC, and it would weigh 1.5 lbs.- and it would ALWAYS be up to date- no "New Arrival" section required.

And yes, I would still have the book in the van in case I needed it.

The PDA sounds kind of cool, but may be TOO small.

PATRICK: Sounds like a helluva deal for what you get, but still $80 more than the e-Go.

I wish I could find the dam company online....

I just purchased from CompUSA an Acer 8" mini with 160gig HD, 1 gig ram, internet card, factory refurbished for $219.00 + $1.99 shipping. They only had 500 for sale. I figure why not take a chance.

Now that's a bit closer, both in size and price! Hmmmm

I was gonna suggest an older Fijitsu (sp) tablet PC.... you'd gain a touch screen ability and they are relatively cheap on the used market.

Here's a wild suggestion.... why not just go PC and run your show that way since you are already considering bringing a PC for the sole purpose of searching your data base... seems like a d'uh to me.... (I know I know disc sound better) ya ya ya....

Here's a wild suggestion.... why not just go PC and run your show that way since you are already considering bringing a PC for the sole purpose of searching your data base... seems like a d'uh to me.... (I know I know disc sound better) ya ya ya....

Stand down, Rob Vader - We will have no contamination from The Dark Side.. This Jedhi has SEEN the Dark Side and returned to the light, scoured of the taint...:sqrolleyes::sqwink:

Wait....a scoured taint? OW! :sqerr:

Stand down, Rob Vader - We will have no contamination from The Dark Side.. This Jedhi has SEEN the Dark Side and returned to the light, scoured of the taint...:sqrolleyes::sqwink:

Wait....a scoured taint? OW! :sqerr:

Awwww shucks! You know I had to.... it's in my nature... LOL

LOL too funny the non luddites battling the ludddites nd Joe you seem to slowly be losing much like my quest to remain vinyl.

LOL too funny the non luddites battling the ludddites nd Joe you seem to slowly be losing much like my quest to remain vinyl.

Yes, it's the small victories I salavate over... like joe admiting to the need for a computer if for no other use but to search his music library.... {dink} one step closer to the dark side my friend.... Muwahahahaha...

Huh? Losing? Still CD+G, my friend- and you know with good reason. I'm just not trying to convince anyone else to do as I do. We Jedhi are strong- no need of converts...:sqwink:

Yes, it's the small victories I salavate over... like joe admiting to the need for a computer if for no other use but to search his music library.... {dink} one step closer to the dark side my friend.... Muwahahahaha...

Ah Ah AHHH...no, no. Never said a NEED, merely a desire- and knowing the nature of the beast, the book in the trunk at all times..

A true Jedhi never deviates from the path, for each deviation spawns another- and we all know what deviates the dark side spawns... ( present company definitely included..:sqlaugh:)The LIGHT, go toward the LIGHT! I have the Wookie in me....um,...well, you know what I mean......:sqerr:

Awwww Joe you know I just tease ya.... but like Luke Skywalker with his Bio-electrionic hand he got.... it's just a matter of time.... a computer to manage your data base today... a computer to run your show tomorrow... with each passing day.... your transformation becomes more inevidable...

Back