What's new

Moore, OK Tornado

I live in Stillwater and it all missed us as always. Its still so unreal hearing about this stuff happening so close. I can't for the life of me understand why schools in this state, knowing how the weather can be, are not built with reinforced storm shelters. No state officials have really said or done anything yet. There were storms yesterday too, but about half as bad. I know there are at least 2 universities in central Oklahoma that have opened up their dorms for anyone without a home now. They've actually said that they have more volunteers than they can handle so hopefully the recovery will get better.

Last edited by a moderator:
R.I.P to those killed.

I'm assuming these buildings are all reinforced etc; surely it's a requirement when living in those areas? Then again, in the event of a bad tornado they don't really stand much chance anyway. :(

RIP

Been watching the news this morning. I can't believe how devastating this is :(

I'm assuming these buildings are all reinforced etc; surely it's a requirement when living in those areas?

You'd be surprised. I've lived here all my life and I've only ever known 3 people with a legitimate storm shelter. Never been to a school that had any safe room either.

It's so sad hearing news like this...
I hate that storms can do so much damage. I feel worse for the schools that don't have a lot of money. I don't know if this was a ritzy school or not, but I'm assuming if it was, then they should have had the money to build good storm shelters inside.

It's a terrible thing to happen anywhere. The town right next to mine got hit by an EF4 tornado last year in February, and my scout crew was helping with the cleanup and relief efforts, so I know something of what the people in Moore have gone through. My heart goes out to them. :(

It's awful what nature can do and how quickly it happens. Surprised about the lack of anti-storm measures in place though, I head that the school didn't have a shelter or anything? Would've thought that would be something the government would fund.

a lady that i work with was saying today that her niece lived there and they lost everything. they all got in the car and drove as fast as they could away from that area and made it out. but now they have no house to go back to and they have a 2 week old baby :c

This breaks my heart. I brought forth the idea for our school to do a canned food drive and supply drive for the people of Moore. I believe we are going to deive and hand deliver the supplies to the victims of the tornado.

It was believed to be more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb.
Rest in peace you beautiful souls ): <3

This was a terrible tragedy but as awful as it was I guess they were fortunate that more lives weren't taken. Believe me after seeing the damage I am really amazed that the death toll wasn't higher. I am also amazed at how contractors could be allowed to build in this state without giving each school, business or even home a storm shelter. Oklahoma is one of the states with a high tornado possibility, but no there were areas that didn't have storm shelters, basements or cellars, including the two schools that were destroyed. This is sad, and I think regulations should of been in place where this concern, but once again its all about cost and not preparing for what could happen.

Back