What's new

Need Winter dinner ideas

I make white chicken enchilladas, beef stew, chicken and dumplings, hearty soups, white chili, etc. in the winter.

I'll have to gather up some recipes if you want them (my white chili is hot). The white chicken enchilladas are to die for if you like a lil cream cheese.

I had to read up on chipped beef and SOS. As soon as I read it was related to the sausage/gravy/biscuit breakfast thing I clued in that it was an American dish. I've tried the sausage/gravy/biscuit breakfast thing and didn't care for it but I think I want to give this a try. It is the biscuits I don't like, so if I do toast it should be better.

My mom makes an amazing white chicken lasagna. YUM! Now I'm wanting the recipe.

Mrsmom, can you please post the recipe for the chicken enchiladas?

Maybe you just didnt have GOOD biscuits and gravy? so good and oh so bad...lol...although I do make mine with turkey breakfast sausage and now reduced fat biscuits =)

I'm so used to scones that biscuits just always taste bad to me. The two look exactly the same but have completely different tastes. I'm going to try making it myself and see if I like it better.

Here's the white chicken enchillada recipe that DH just loves:

1/2 stick butter
1 C. chopped onion (do not skimp on the onion....if you don't like to bite bits then cook it down, but use lots.....great flavor)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 flour
1 C. chicken broth (I tend to use a whole can)
1/2 package cream cheese (this is where the taste comes from! Sometimes though just a few T. is enough)
2 C. shredded Mexican cheese divided (or whatever you like)
1 C. chopped or shredded cooked chicken
1/2 can (4 oz.) diced mild green chiles (recipe called for the whole can, but that's too much for us)
1/2 C. diced pimientos (I skip this)
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro (I skip this too)
3/4 C. prepared salsa (I skip this too lol)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 13x9 baking dish

2. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender (I cook the onion first and for a long time like 1/2 hour on low so it's mushy then add that jarred minced garlic at the end because it burns quick and warm through). Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add cream cheese; stir until melted. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese, chicken, chiles and pimientos.

3. Spoon about 1/3 cup mixture onto each tortilla. Roll up; place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Pour remaining mixture over enchilladas; sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese.

4. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with salsa.

This recipe came from Taste of Home's Easy Mexican cook book. ;)

Lately I've also been making rice and adding it to the mixture to bulk it up. DH likes rice in anything it can be added to.

Latest thing, I've been putting corn in there too. Basically stuff them with whatever you like. Oh and I've also mixed in a handful of chopped spinach to give some color and vitamins. You can really do anything with this recipe. The more extras you add in, you just might need more broth.

I'm so used to scones that biscuits just always taste bad to me. The two look exactly the same but have completely different tastes. I'm going to try making it myself and see if I like it better.

Well hell make your scones and pour the gravy over that if you like. I haven't made scones since I was in highschool and those were raisin ones.

FAST HOMEMADE BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP

1 can family size Cream of Chicken Soup
3 tablespoons grated onion
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
3 cups milk
1 package fresh or frozen broccoli florets, steamed until very tender

In a large pot, sauté onion in the butter. Over low heat: Add can of soup (undiluted) to pot and stir.

Add cheese and stir until thoroughly melted. Add milk and whisk until smooth. Add the broccoli and stir. Simmer until bubbly.

This is also even better using a package of mixed broccoli and cauliflower, steamed.

You may add two packages of broccoli if you like it really broccoli-y. I just buy the plastic bag of Mann's broccoli, poke a hole in it, and microwave the bag for 6 minutes to steam it perfectly! Then just dump it in!

After sautéing the onion, you can put all the ingredients into a Crock-Pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until bubbly

Looking forward to trying this one on Satuday.

Anyone have a simple beef stroganoff recipe?

Yes, brown your ground beef with chopped onions, layer in a casserole dish, alternating ground beef, cream of corn, and mashed potatoes. Making sure the mashed potatoes are on top. Bake in the oven till mashed potatoes are golden brown. Yummy!

Is that the one with mashed potatoes on top?

Yes, brown your ground beef with chopped onions, layer in a casserole dish, alternating ground beef, cream of corn, and mashed potatoes. Making sure the mashed potatoes are on top. Yummy!

Cream of corn? :bee:

Back