What's new

New Gear for Beginner

M

mkr160

Hello. I am a owner of a Mobile DJ Service in Upstate NY. I am interested in getting into Karaoke next year. What would be good equipment to get started with? I currently use MacBook Pro running VDJ 7, and Bose L1 Sound Systems. Thanks for any assistance.

Welcome. U will find that opinions on equipment are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink. ;)

The one thing I do agree with I actually got from Joe. If u can afford them, at some point it will benefit you to get a pair of three way speakers. The difference is like night and day..

At first i didn't think the difference would be worth the extra expense, but I was wrong..

as far as basics go u will need
microphones
software *that in itself is a can of worms but a lot of people here swear by karama.. The best advice anyone can take is download the demos for everything and buy what works best for u*
karaoke music
at least one display for the singer unless the venue has extra tvs

good luck

-James

f you are going to digitalize the biggest can of worms is your hosting software.....we have tried sax n dotty's for 6 months rated it about 7 out of 10. PCDJ lasted 2 months...had lots of problems rated .3 out of 10 for karaoke. Using Karma now for about 3 months going well rating about 8-9. We going to buying the new compuhost program from CB's site and put it om one system and see if we like it better. My DH doesnt like demo versions so we will end up spending a bit more but he will have his favorite when we are done...and buy as many more licences for the one he picks:biggrinpill:

Hello. I am a owner of a Mobile DJ Service in Upstate NY. I am interested in getting into Karaoke next year. What would be good equipment to get started with? I currently use MacBook Pro running VDJ 7, and Bose L1 Sound Systems. Thanks for any assistance.

Has anyone here used the Bose system for karaoke?

Pros?

Cons?

we have not personally but one of the few legit KJ's in this neck of the woods has. I will see if I can get him to log in and give you feedback:winkpill:

I have not but a KJ friend of mine does and he really likes it, but just realize you'd never want to do this in a Large venue, but i know he used his for a weekly gig at a bar with about 150 people and it seemed to work pretty well

I was asking because when we make the move next month my wife has been asking if we can gat a Bose L1 set-up for karaoke. She seems to like them.

I was asking because when we make the move next month my wife has been asking if we can gat a Bose L1 set-up for karaoke. She seems to like them.

I think the one recommendation i can make is to make sure and buy an extra bass bin with it, I know my buddy got one with his originally and quickly upgraded to the second bass bin

Pros?

Cons?
I have tested it in my club a couple years back. It did not sound very full at all - this was 2 sticks & 2 sub modules, the sound did not reach the coverage that my current system is able to do - but then my idea of good is nice thumping bass, loud enough to get over the crowd but not enough to squash a converstation without making them scream to talk. When these sticks came out they were originally marketed as PAS (Personal Audio System) as in like personal stage monitors for each band members. When I used it as a monitor system the next couple nights, it actually sounded great. But a very expensive monitor. Lightweight and ease of setup are the only pros i'd give them, sound quality, not worth it.

Pros?

Cons?

While I haven't "tried" them, I have certainly experienced them.

Pros- light and space-saving, and absolutely terrific for DANCE music and DJing.

CONS- Simply do not have the sound separation required for karaoke. Fairly awful for this application.

i use the L1 mod II with 2 subs and it works amazingly well. before i got it i used JBL mrx and i get a much cleaner and defined sound, the vocals are clear and defined almost to a fault. the sound fills the room clearly with lower volume, i have yet to have it perform poorly in any situation. the model 1 (or classic model) is not as full as the model II so that MAY be what Joe heard for not sounding good on karaoke, but the Model II i am running outperforms the MRX set i was running. here are the differing opinions you were told about earlier.

My over all (limited experence was with the first Bose PAS system (L1) so I can't speak for the models that came out since, but first complaint was volume (it just wasn't there) second was frequency range (that wasn't there either) but I bought mine (single unit) without the subs.

I compared it (in a side by side test to a single 10" Peavey Impulse and found better volume and range with the single Peavey speaker. That hoever was with the origional Bose L1 and they certainly could have improved since then.

I think with a good sub and in a room that didn't have excessive floor noise they would be just fine!

My personal opinion of the Bose system, is that it is perfect for the single singer/guitarist playing in a small lounge or cafe.

Could you cover a bar/club? I suppose if you bought enough of it, but you would get MUCH more bang for your buck with a conventional system.

IMHO Bose is like driving a Rolls Royce. You are paying a tremendous amount extra for the name and get can just as good (or better) quality for much less money elsewhere.

i have been able to handle at least 300 people in a bar with 1 bose and even the people in the back could understand every word because with a line array the volume does not drop off as fast as on traditional point and shoot speakers. they have changed since the model 1 Thunder, and without any sub, i definately understand why you were not impressed. i will get complaints occasionally that it is too loud, and considering i have the volume just under "3" and my main fader at 5 under, i have headroom galore.
it ain't right for everybody, but it is definitely stronger than the responses i have been seeing. most still try to EQ them like regular point and shoot, when you flatline the EQ, i add ~2dB of bass @100Hz and ~1dB at 10KHz and it does what it does and comes to life.

Pros?

Cons?

I have....

It works great!!!!

In fact I had singers standing right in front of one of my L1's and didn't get so much as a squak of feedback..... I used just one L1 and 2 B1's for a small bar and had plenty of sound!

Cons: I was scared ****less someone would spill a drink on my L1 power stand......

jokerswild said:
In fact I had singers standing right in front of one of my L1's and didn't get so much as a squak of feedback.

I don't know that this is necessarily such a positive thing. In fact it sounds like the first half of the old Bose saying. "No High's, No Lows, Must Be Bose!" :laughpill:

They certainly do look easy to transport & setup though. I can just think of a LOT better ways to spend $2500.

there are definately enough highs and lows. just controlled better than with a horn. it is kinda strange the first time you do stand in front and get no feedback. i like watching people try to sing the fisrt time as they look the bose up and down to figuere out if that really is where the sound is coming from:laughpill:

I can stand directly in front of my speakers and sing without feedback as well, that has to do with gain structure and speaker placement.

Originally Posted by jokerswild
In fact I had singers standing right in front of one of my L1's and didn't get so much as a squak of feedback.
I don't know that this is necessarily such a positive thing. In fact it sounds like the first half of the old Bose saying. "No High's, No Lows, Must Be Bose!"

If you truly believe that, then you are far less knowledgeable about sound than I've given you credit for.

Back