What's new

Not a complaint since I don't do karaoke, but a question...

Papa Deuce

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
WTH is going on with this forum? I'm not even reading any of it since it holds no interest to me, but it seems like we have about 300% more threads about Karaoke than at any point in ODJT's existence.

Is Joker buying dinner so y'all will participate? :sqlaugh:

No generally the issue of 1:1, pirating and computer KJ use has always been pretty hot over the years and has always seen pretty high participation amoung KJs! With the advent of the Sound Choice lawsuits (which all have been warned were coming over the past 10 years) it got a lot hotter because there were so many who got into this business without the purchase of a single legal disc (like DJs who got into the business with all limewire downloads) so now there is a scramble to either get legal or denigerate Sound Choice for taking the actions they have been warning everyone were coming and/or both!

There is a much higher participation level here because so many DJs who know nothing of the karaoke issues are getting involved, I think more for their own amusement than anything else. Plus all of us are legal experts:sqlaugh: although a few of us actually know what we are talking about!:sqwink:

Until recently, this forum was open to webcrawlers and guest view. Anyone searching for karaoke-related topics online could find and view it.

Due to the rash of SC back-and-forth issues (and the headaches that accompanied them), Dan made the forum private.

Hopefully, with the forum closed to searches we'll get back to a level of normal. ;)

Papa Deuce said:
WTH is going on with this forum? I'm not even reading any of it since it holds no interest to me, but it seems like we have about 300% more threads about Karaoke than at any point in ODJT's existence.

Is Joker buying dinner so y'all will participate? :sqlaugh:

You know if you'd ever come over to the dark side and do karaoke.... I'd buy you a steak dinner slathered in mushrooms and onions served with a big baked potation loaded with butter, chives, and sour cream and a bowl full of veggies swiming in butter and garlic.... top that off with a heaping bowl of ice cream with a cherry on top.....

mmmm mmmm

Are your arteries cloggin yet?

jokerswild said:
You know if you'd ever come over to the dark side and do karaoke.... I'd buy you a steak dinner slathered in mushrooms and onions served with a big baked potation loaded with butter, chives, and sour cream and a bowl full of veggies swiming in butter and garlic.... top that off with a heaping bowl of ice cream with a cherry on top.....

mmmm mmmm

I saw karaoke ONE TIME.. In Vegas at the Mobile beat show. It was with a live band. Most of the "singers", and I use that term very loosely, were terrible... though our own DJ Cam was actually pretty good.

Granted, it was only one time, but I would say that by my view, 70% of the singers were terrible, 20% were OK, and 10% were pretty good. That's not enough to make me want to go and try again.

Papa Deuce said:
I saw karaoke ONE TIME.. In Vegas at the Mobile beat show. It was with a live band. Most of the "singers", and I use that term very loosely, were terrible... though our own DJ Cam was actually pretty good.

Granted, it was only one time, but I would say that by my view, 70% of the singers were terrible, 20% were OK, and 10% were pretty good. That's not enough to make me want to go and try again.

You forget that karaoke isn't about singing..... believe it or not. It's about entertainment and having fun.... no one really gives a flip if you can sing.... it all comes down to having the balls to get on stage in the first place.... some can do it sober and others need liquid courage... which btw doesn't help the singing one bit.... but sure makes it fun as hell.....

Argue At Your Own Risk!!!

Argueing in this forum is like wrestling with a bunch of hogs in the 'chit. By the time you realize the hogs are just having some fun, it's too late, you're all wore out and 'chitty.:sqbiggrin:

This is not meant as a put-down of any members. I had an old boss that said the same about me for years. I was kinda proud of it, myself, as I suspect alot here will be too.:sqwink:

jokerswild said:

mmmm mmmm

Geez thanks alot Rob I just gained another 10 pounds from reading that post! :sqerr::sqconfused:

-James

I only gained 1

and pretty much had that very meal for dinner tonite.:sqwink:
jclaydon said:
Geez thanks alot Rob I just gained another 10 pounds from reading that post! :sqerr::sqconfused:

-James

jokerswild said:
You forget that karaoke isn't about singing..... believe it or not. It's about entertainment and having fun.... no one really gives a flip if you can sing.... it all comes down to having the balls to get on stage in the first place.... some can do it sober and others need liquid courage... which btw doesn't help the singing one bit.... but sure makes it fun as hell.....

No, I didn't forget. Not many were fun(ny), either.

Papa Deuce said:

That assessment would apply equally well to talent shows and reality tv - yet, those things continue to proliferate as well. :)

The future of karaoke is in digital files - not CDs. SC is just trying to get some cash and make some sales before their window of opportunity completely closes. In a very short moment SC and their catalog will be irrelevent - so, the press is on to grab what they can right now.

Thunder said:
..because there were so many who got into this business without the purchase of a single legal disc (like DJs who got into the business with all limewire downloads) so now there is a scramble to either get legal or denigerate Sound Choice for taking the actions they have been warning everyone were coming and/or both!

There is a much higher participation level here because so many DJs who know nothing of the karaoke issues are getting involved, I think more for their own amusement than anything else. Plus all of us are legal experts although a few of us actually know what we are talking about!

Steve of course, is speaking purely from sunstantiated fact and not merely some biased self-interested personal assessment. LOL

Proformance said:
The future of karaoke is in digital files - not CDs. SC is just trying to get some cash and make some sales before their window of opportunity completely closes. In a very short moment SC and their catalog will be irrelevent - so, the press is on to grab what they can right now.

And HERE it is, ladies and gents - in the proverbial nutshell!

Like the music industry as a whole, they had a chance to evolve alongside and hand-in-hand with the technologies of the day, but instead they chose to remain complacent and arrogant, and now they're paying the price for it, plain and simple. All we are seeing are indeed the failings and last dying breaths.

Whether or not their catalog itself will become irrelevant depends entirely on them. What is for certain is that the basis for their current beef is becoming more and more irrelevant with each and every passing day. If they choose to lose the antiquated delivery method and embrace technology to distribute AND protect their product instead of clinging to physical media and the archaic copyright laws pertaining to them, they may be able to thrive.

They'd spend less and make more if they didn't have to bother with physical production and distribution of media at all.

Just ask Rick and, as he likes to say... look at HIS bank account!:)

Sounds To Go said:
If they choose to lose the antiquated delivery method and embrace technology to distribute AND protect their product instead of clinging to physical media and the archaic copyright laws pertaining to them, they may be able to thrive.

They'd spend less and make more if they didn't have to bother with physical production and distribution of media at all.

Just ask Rick and, as he likes to say... look at HIS bank account!:)

To be fair, the Copyright Laws are not archaic but, the licenses (contracts) traded between labels and manufacturers certainly are. It's the business models that are the bottleneck - not the actual law.

I would not be surpirsed if a license to distribute MP3+G online is simply not available to SC or too costly given the small market for karaoke.

Remember, the cure for file-sharing was paid downloads. However, there is a huge market for original music and online pruchases are strong enough to eclipse the priacy. That's not the case with karaoke "covers." There probably isn't enough of a market to achieve the same results.

Sooner or later that will change and someone with the resources necessary to tap this market for profit will enter the scene.

How did a simple question on how and why the Karaoke section of the forum took off like a shot bloom into yet another Copywrite/Infringement/SC thread???????

Somebody please tell me why?????

The legalities or illegalities of karaoke were not needed in this thread!

Chuck asked a simple question and y'all have managed to bog it down with other crap!

jokerswild said:
How did a simple question on how and why the Karaoke section of the forum took off like a shot bloom into yet another Copywrite/Infringement/SC thread???????

Somebody please tell me why?????

The legalities or illegalities of karaoke were not needed in this thread!

Chuck asked a simple question and y'all have managed to bog it down with other crap!

Actually the question was

And to answer that question the issue of infringement must come into the answer (which I covered fairly well) simply because that is what the answer is!

I agree that the reason is all the hulla-balu over infringement but..... long discertations and continued arguements about it were not.

Back