What's new

Now that we all have time to rest...

tavogels

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
...are there any readers here? I'm looking for some new authors to try out or just some new reads, in general. Some of my personal favorites have been any of Rosamund Pilcher's books (esp. Shell Seekers and Winter Solstice). I also read two fantastic Ken Follet books last year...Pillars of the Earth and the sequel, World Without End. I read them back to back. They really transport you to another time and place. I SO wish he'd come out with a third in that series. I'd highly recommend them for anyone who likes historical fiction...and even if you don't, they are just plain great stories.

Anyone want to share their favorites? (p.s.--don't forget the CW amazon link for book buying! Though I suspect we're all library types here, for the most part.;) I should buy, though, with all the fines I rack up.)

Pillars of the Earth
i really loved this book. I'll have to look for the other one when i have time to read,
Good author if you like "true" stories and history is "in to thin air" and "in to the wild" Jon Krakaue
and of course any vongut book
breakfast of champans is still my fav!

the luxe series is a really easy read and all three books are out ,I think i read each one in two days.

right now i'm doing withering hights just b.c it's a classic and i've never read it before and got it free on my kindle

I'm a Stephen King and Dean Koontz fan myself.

And for a nice warm, fuzzy Mayberry-ish read, I recommend the "Harmony" series by Philip Gulley :)

oh and phillipa gregory
she's a super good read! i love all her books she wrote the boylan girls

Jodie Picoult.

I second that author - she is fabulous!!!

The recent movie "My Sister's Keeper" was an adaptatation from Jodie Picoult's book by the same name. The book is so much better than the movie (as most of the time they are).

She has quite a selection of books - she is the only author that I find myself coming back to and re-reading books again and again.

Good luck finding something!

ooooooo yes, LOVE Jodi Picoult too! Her newest book, "House Rules" was available at Orland Park library as a "Lucky Day" book, meaning 5 day rental.... I started to take it and then told myself..... self, who are you kidding??? You are WAY too busy shopping to finish this in 5 days :lol:

Nobody wants to read the books I'm reading...

I am re-reading (for a third time, because it's so deep it requires more than one pass) Sue Monk Kidd's The Dance of the Dissident Daughter and also reading Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis. Both books deal with spirituality. Because when I'm not being a silly, sarcastic, inappropriate, purple haired freak I'm actually a quite deep person. ;)

I also enjoyed Pillars of the Earth!

I'd recommend A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and The Kite Runner by the same author. Also Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

I have a bunch of books on my guilt stack as like to call it

LOL

a few titles are--

The Help
We need to talk about Kevin
Superfreakonimics

I also love Jodi piccoult--read I think everyone excpet salem falls--started it and for some reason couldn't finish it--and thats saying a lot considering I even finished the 10th circle which was HORRIBLE IMO--

I LOVE most all of her work--deals with current issues, as a parent of teens they hit home hard.

One Month to Live- it is being offered at many churches around the country as a seminar series as well - really makes you think about if you found out you had only 30 days left to live how would you live those days. And why wouldn't you do that now then? Granted it does not advocate quitting a job, etc - but truly making each moment count - spending time with those you care about and not those you feel you are obligated to, and really making memories that matter.

It really makes you think about not sweating the small stuff, about cherishing those simple moments of maybe taking your child to / from school, making it a point to call a sibling to just say hi, etc.

I'm a Stephen King and Dean Koontz fan myself.

And for a nice warm, fuzzy Mayberry-ish read, I recommend the "Harmony" series by Philip Gulley :)

I NEVER would have pegged you as a Stephen King reader! Aren't his books dark and scary? And, well, you're the cookiemom and all things cheery!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I spent Easter in bed with a stomach virus, had to cancel brunch at Shaw's. That sucked. BUT, I did get to read a WHOLE book in one day. Highly recommended for any dog lovers...The Art of Racing in the Rain. Cried thru the first and last two chapters, but it's a great read. I think many of you here would love it. You'll esp. like it if you're a Formula 1 fan. But if you don't like racing, don't worry--it doesn't dominate. However, if you don't like dogs, def. not the book for you!

My neighbor has a bunch of Jodi Piccoult books. I think I'll swing by her house and pick one up. Once I'm de-germed.

hee hee..... yes, dark and scary is my alter ego
devil.gif

Who has time to rest?! Are you smokin sumtin? Did you raid Rebecca's cabinets? What are you on my dear?

Haha, no, don't worry...I'm slogging along like everyone else. No bon bon eating here. Getting ready to strip my bed so it's not all gross for my husband tonite. And the kitchen...well, it needs a woman's touch. Amazing how fast a house falls apart.

Back