What's new

nVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra vs. ATi Radeon 9800 Pro

Should there be a Surgeon Generals warning on Mc.Donalds food products?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

I need a new graphics card, somethng that I finally admit. My nVIDIA is worn out and rusty, and even my baseball game is not running at top graphics. I really did not care till now. What should I get? I have $500 to spend, so I am open to your opinions!

The 9800. Either will do, but nVidia is known to lie about their benchmarks.

ATi's Radeon 9900 Pro should make Doom 3's graphics look identical to a real person o_O

I am not going to vote because I really couldn't tell ya from experience but I have a GeForce 4 and it runs Unreal 2 pretty good, a GeForce in my Xbox, Halo 2 is proof of its power, and I have a ATI processor in my GC but... I don't really know what it can actually do.

ATi definetaly would run Unreal better than nVIDIA.

I've seen the Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB do its thing, its really nice... My other friend has a GeForce FX 5900, but I have yet to see it work.

Well let us put it this way. Everyone has this idea that Radeon is better because your getting more for less. Well not always, Radeon will lie just as much as nVidia. I have seen the benchmarks done by 3rd parties comparing these 2 cards and the GeForce FX 5900 beat its **** in every single one except one game: Unreal Tournament 2003. AtI cards also are known to have compatibility problems. I don't care if Ati payed off id Software for them to say this or that about the Radeon's effectiveness on Doom 3. By the time that **** game comes out a new card will be out anyways!

Besides that how are you guys able to compare these cards? There isn't even a game out right now that uses their new features that the older cards didn't have.

I thought that nVidia had the edge in Unreal. :sure:

Compatability problems with the Radeon? I've tried out almost all the games I own (Which is alot) and they all run fantastic on a 3Ghz Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading, 1gig of RDRAM and the Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB.
The only big games I've yet to try are Return to Castle Wolfenstien, No One Lives Forever 2, Unreal 2 and Ureal Tournament 2003. Which I think I'll try out tomorrow if I can.

Friend of mine had some bad problems with his 5900, he had to return it because it was giving him artifacts in Battlefield 1942. He's thinking about switching to the Radeon 9800 Pro, or saving for the next generation of cards. I can't really report how the games compare with a 5900 and a 4800, but I've seen nothing wrong with the 4800 so far and I love ATI's 'things' you can download off their site to test your card. (I.E. Musical thing, Chimp thing, etc...)

*Thumbs up to ATI* :)

I have tested both. The radeon tends to run 5 fps faster, and the quality is MUCH better

i just bought a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb, and it is amazing, the graphics on things like splinter cell and unreal tourney are superb, nvidia all the way, i'm not keen on ATi, dunno y :D

You can easily tell from the results that you need an ATI....

the one big reason why I wouldn't even consider buying an FX is due in part to the crazy dual backplate requirements....something you won't find on any ATI Cards.

Also, I have generally made great experiences with ATI, and have come to believe that they have the better price-performance ratio.....

which gfx card is cheaper i am also looking for one, or do you think my current gfx card is alright? its a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420, well since i dont know much about gfx cards im not sure weither that is ok enough or not.

Back